PDA

View Full Version : This fly system works!!

riderboy
Aug. 3, 2010, 09:22 AM
We just installed the Revenge fly tape reel system and oh my God! It actually works!! I've been doing Fly Predators all summer but with a cattle farm 1/2 mile away I was swimming upstream. While I'm sure that has helped, we still had a bazillion flies. This Revenge sticky fly tape is on a reel, you reel out as much as you want, it comes with extra pulleys and a second reel to wind in the used, fly encrusted tape so there is always fresh fly tape out. The difference is just unbelievable. I put two up, one over the stalls up high and one over the poop wagon. A definite must have from here on out.

Sing Mia Song
Aug. 3, 2010, 07:11 PM
I, too, am next to a dairy, and you're right, there's no fighting that! Thanks for the good review!

Crooked Horse
Aug. 3, 2010, 07:31 PM
We have that system at my barn (never knew what it was called) and I agree that it's great. Except that the "receiving" end is over my horse's stall...nice to look at - LOL!

riderboy
Aug. 4, 2010, 05:52 AM
Yes, and reeling up the fly-encrusted tape when it's "full" is pretty disgusting! But I am really impressed with the reduction in our fly population. We would have these buzzing clouds of flies particularly over the muck wagon and in the stall of one of our messier horses. The difference is truly remarkable.

GilbertsCreeksideAcres
Aug. 4, 2010, 07:44 AM
Are you having any problems with bats getting caught in them or are they big enough for bats to sense? When I hung the twirly-type strips, I caught bats and I felt terrible about it.

mkevent
Aug. 4, 2010, 11:02 AM
I caught quite a few birds with the tape, too. I have found that you can free them with a little cooking oil.

suniday
Aug. 5, 2010, 12:17 PM
I've been sucessfully using the Mr. Sticky tape for quite a few years now. Jeffers has the best price that I have found recently.

I also use the Fly Predators and have added the Country Vet spray in each stall (only have 3).

Still have some flies as we have poultry farms nearby.

chancy deal
Aug. 5, 2010, 03:05 PM
Are you having any problems with bats getting caught in them

This is my concern. Not just bats, but anything & everything else that comes in contact with these strips of goo. Including "good" insects.
That's why I dont use them.
It's like dusting your garden with Seven dust. Sure, it kills the pests but it also kills everything else including your pollinators.

How many butterflies get caught on these tapes of death?
I think I would just buy a fly mask.

trubandloki
Aug. 5, 2010, 03:11 PM
I also use the Fly Predators and have added the Country Vet spray in each stall (only have 3).

Doesn't the Country Vet Spray also kill the predators?

suniday
Aug. 5, 2010, 03:23 PM
trubandloki - I don't use the predators in the barn with the Country Vet spray. I use the predators around the manure pile, dog kennels and out in the pasture in their manure areas.

The only time I have had birds get stuck in the tape is when they had nests above the tape. It's pretty thin - about 1/4". Rarely do I see an insect other than flies on it, too.

deltawave
Aug. 5, 2010, 03:38 PM
In a normal year I'd yawn and say "who needs it?" because in a normal year with normal Michigan weather the flies are just not that big a deal. This year--oy!--dreadful, as soon as the temps and humidity went up and stayed up. :dead:
Off to find where to get one . . . still lots of summer left! Thanks for the tip.

Mudroom
Aug. 5, 2010, 04:36 PM
When I Googled it Samrtpak came up as a vendor, but I haven't compared pricies.

Smartpak happens to have a free shipping deal going this week, until 8/10

Use promo code FEV8BSH at checkout for the free shipping