PDA

View Full Version : What heavy equipment do I need?

Amwrider
Aug. 2, 2010, 11:01 PM
To level footing in an arena and also to scrape/level a gravel driveway?

I would be renting the equipment.

shakeytails
Aug. 2, 2010, 11:07 PM
A road grader would be nice. And I'm not kidding. When we cut our driveway we were going to hire a neighbor and his dozer to level and remove topsoil. Well, the old guy didn't want to take our money or something, but instead told DH to come borrow the grader- it was a pull behind a big tractor type thing that did a great job for just the cost of a few gallons of fuel.

Your best bet is probably a dozer and an experienced operator.

CatOnLap
Aug. 3, 2010, 01:24 AM
its hard to judge based on the info in your question. We regularly scrape our gravel driveway to get rid of ruts and holes and even out the gravel and such, and we level the footing in our sand arena with our compact tractor. Before we had that, we did it with a rented small bobcat. However, if you are talking about creating the base for an arena or putting in a new driveway and scraping the land down first, you are into another world completely and the bobcat will not cut it. For that you need an actual bulldozer.

molliwog
Aug. 3, 2010, 02:50 AM
If you're installing the arena base, you need a CAT with a laser level- and there is an art to driving one of these- I'm pretty good with most farm equipment, but we paid an experienced operator to do this when we installed our arena base. We also had an excavator come with his compactor to compact the base. It wasn't cost-effective to rent either of these.

If you want to grade a driveway, we have a blade attachment for the three-point on our tractor. Works fine for a small area. At some point, (depending on your tractor and your own tolerance for mundane tasks) you'd want a grader.

cyndi
Aug. 3, 2010, 09:14 AM
You can have the best equipment and materials in the world for the job, but if you don't have the experience, your outcome may not be satisfactory - at least for an arena. There is a lot of 'fudge' factor in leveling a driveway. In an arena, not so much. If the base is uneven, you can't fix it with the footing on top.

Amwrider
Aug. 4, 2010, 01:36 AM
It is just a dirt footing arena, I just want to level it off as it has some ruts. Eventually I would want to put real footing in it, but the arena has just been neglected. This is a property I am looking at, not actually there...yet (fingers crossed).

The driveway is gravel already, but has two low spots that collect water, with a hump in between. Not seriously bad, just an annoyance, but I don't want my clientele to have to splash through in the wet season.

stoicfish
Aug. 4, 2010, 02:25 AM
Smaller tractor with a railroad iron tied behind. Drag the arena and driveway. There is no skill involved as you just need to go over it a couple of times. If you cannot find something heavy to pull, you could use diamond tooth harrows and flip them over. Do not rent a crawler (bulldozer) unless you have operated it before. You will make a mess and waste your money. Even a skid steer takes practice.
Add clay to the low spots in driveway.

Amwrider
Aug. 4, 2010, 08:57 AM
Clay won't work in the driveway here, it is Florida and it gets too wet. We typically use a mix of crushed roadbase and gravel.

It can set pretty hard and be like concrete so I need something that can break up the "hump" between the low spots.

stoicfish
Aug. 4, 2010, 12:54 PM
So your base material is clay to start with, maybe with some sand mixed in?
This is hard to help when you cannot see everything around the problem. Sorry if I suggest something that is not feasible as it is hard to diagnose. Generally, you do want to give a low area support and clay mixture is the best material for that. Putting straight gravel in will not provide enough support and will quickly punch out. Maybe that is what you meant by road base?
I am not sure how large the lump is but that would require a grader to fix it if it is mostly a clay content. Do you have a local municipality that grades roads? If so you could ask them to pop by, as it would only take 10 minutes if it is only one area. It is important to compact it as soon as it is filled in to prevent it from happening again.
Did this help?