PDA

View Full Version : Southeasterners - Fly quotient this year?

saje
Aug. 1, 2010, 07:11 PM
This year was the 1st time I've used fly predators, and I'm trying to decide if they really have helped, or if it's all due to weather etc.

I *think* we have far fewer flies, my two thin skinned prima donna TBs are actually venturing out during the day this year. I seem to see much less stomping, swishing and twitching from the others as well. The face flies this spring were just awful, but they are gone now.

But maybe it's always like this at the end of July/beginning of August, and I'm just not remembering right.

So, how are the flies currently where you are, where are you, and what do you do for fly control?

Bluey
Aug. 1, 2010, 07:33 PM
We noticed a big difference the first year, compared with before, when we had many flies around the doors, waiting to sneak in the house and some did.
No more of those now, but this year, with so much more than normal moisture and weeds, maybe they are a few more flies than the past four years we have been using fly predators.

For us here, fly predators sure seem to work, but we can't be sure, because we don't have any control group, unless you count some neighbors, that have not used fly predators and have tons of flies, but they also have different management than we have.

carolprudm
Aug. 1, 2010, 08:12 PM
I have used fly predators for several years. Evidently they work, one time my farrier asked "Where are the flies?!"

Schiffon
Aug. 1, 2010, 11:23 PM
My impression is we have less flies this year and we haven't done anything differently.

We had a very cold winter of long duration (multiple days below freezing which is not typical for our area) and a very dry June/July so I'm attributing to one or both of those.

ThirdCharm
Aug. 1, 2010, 11:25 PM
The year started out ROUGH with all the heat and rain, we had a ton of flies very early, and then I got my first double order of predators and it made a HUGE difference.

Jennifer

Bluey
Aug. 1, 2010, 11:41 PM
The year started out ROUGH with all the heat and rain, we had a ton of flies very early, and then I got my first double order of predators and it made a HUGE difference.

Jennifer

That is the way our first year was, a big difference.:cool:

horsefaerie
Aug. 2, 2010, 12:24 AM
Few flies all summer.

I use predators and have free range bantams. Between the two they do a great job. I have also had people ask "Where are your flies?"

ponygirl
Aug. 2, 2010, 10:02 AM
Very few flies this summer. My neighbors said the same thing and they do nothing to deter flies.

wildlifer
Aug. 2, 2010, 10:16 AM
We don't use fly predators, but now that I am at a new barn this year, WOW what a difference good management makes! All pastures are dragged on a weekly basis. When stalls are cleaned, manure is immediately removed from barn (not much cleaning is required, horses live outside except to eat). The barn itself is swept and clean all the time. It was built with prevailing winds, so there is always a breeze in the aisle. There are hardly any flies at all and the riding ring is on top of the hill, so no flies there either. Sigh, happiness!

Trevelyan96
Aug. 2, 2010, 06:35 PM
Well, this does it for me. I've used feed through fly control for years, but starting around July every year the flies get awful, and it has to be me.

Does anyone know how long you have to wait after the last does of feed through to start using the predators. I tried both together last year and someone told me the feed through was killing the fly predators.

It really bugs me, because I'm anal about keeping the barn clean, picking up or harrowing pastures daily., and managing and composting my manure pile, but every year the flys eventually make life miserable. They're the small kind that stay low to the ground and draw blood when they bite.

judybigredpony
Aug. 2, 2010, 06:57 PM
this is my 3rd year. And in the begining it was a rough start.
So darn hot flies died before opening package. But once we got past that and replacements came its been great.
although I have had the manure picked up more often this year every 30 days instead of 6 weeks.
But my guys have stayed outside longer in the AM even with the heat.
Definately a HUGE diference compared to out 1st summers here.

shawneeAcres
Aug. 2, 2010, 08:37 PM
We use feed thru fly control and have al most no flies, the ones we do have the dragonflies take care of! Our worse problem is GNATS!! They are horrible and nothing gets rid of them! I pick the stalls in the middle of each day and then when horses go out at night, but nothing stops the gnats!

katyb
Aug. 2, 2010, 09:19 PM
I don't have many flies, and I use predators too. I'm not spraying or putting fly masks on my girls right now. As someone mentioned, without a control group, it's hard to say it's the predators, but I'm willing to spend the $20 a month, just in case they are the difference. I hate seeing horses crawling with flies!

Lord Helpus
Aug. 3, 2010, 01:08 AM
Here in the Sandhills of NC we have virtually NO flies this year. I have no idea why -- but it is amazing. I have never seen a summer like it.

I don't flyspray to turn them out or to ride, unless I am riding in the woods (and then I probably don't need to).

I am not using any predators or chemicals, just clean barns.

And NO flies.... :)

CFFarm
Aug. 3, 2010, 09:00 AM
This is the worst year for flies I can remember in a long time. I'm in North Florida in a very rural area. 1st year with fly predators. We have two horses and got enough predators for 5-6. We did have cows next door (they just left to be hamburgers). I don't see where the predators have helped at all, in fact we called (they are guaranteed) and they just sent more. I clean stall am and pm (even pick up the pasture-husband not a horse guy and hates bugs) and horses are out except at feed time. I compost. Use fly traps. Do everything I can. Maybe it's because we had such a wet winter? Anyway, next year I'm gonna try this new Flyswatter stuff. It's supposed to be organic and is sold as safe for all animals. Sold at Home Depot. Anyone used it?