PDA

View Full Version : Dually or not?

Kairoshorses
Aug. 1, 2010, 01:52 PM
Again, I'm looking to buy a new hauling vehicle. Gooseneck three horse trailer with 10 foot LQ. All my events are 6-12 hours away. I have a F250 now, and when I have three BIG horses (warmbloods) in the trailer, I think I'm overloaded (had a HUGE blowout on the way to Flagstaff last month in the rear tire, and the tires had just been checked--I think it was simply too much for the truck I have).

SO--I'm thinking about getting a 350/3500, and wondering if I should get a dually. I've never had one/towed with one before.

Those of you who have, do you like them? What are the pros/cons (other than having to take off the outside tire to fix and inside flat)? Would you suggest a dually, or is a regular truck ok to haul what I'm hauling?

TIA!

horsefaerie
Aug. 1, 2010, 01:58 PM
I have had two duallys. I like the stability and the no fear hauling.

I have had friends, however, who found them too difficult to drive because of the fenders. They are tough to park in some parking lots (like Home Depot, go figure) and on some streets. Takes some getting used to but I prefer them.

WildBlue
Aug. 1, 2010, 02:12 PM
If you think the 250 isn't enough truck for what you're hauling, the next step up is really to a dually 350. The regular 250/350 are very similar trucks.

chism
Aug. 1, 2010, 02:12 PM
I have had two duallys. I like the stability and the no fear hauling.

I have had friends, however, who found them too difficult to drive because of the fenders. They are tough to park in some parking lots (like Home Depot, go figure) and on some streets. Takes some getting used to but I prefer them.

All of this!
I think you'll find plenty of people who will say you don't NEED a dually, and a bunch of die hard dually lovers who wouldn't have anything less. Having one can be challenging when you're not hauling, things like not being able to park in that little space or go through the bank drive through, but if you've ever felt the terrifying moment when had "too little" truck, you'll appreciate your dually every single day.

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Aug. 1, 2010, 02:31 PM
If the truck has to double as my daily personal vehicle I'd not want a dually but if it's only for pulling then I do want a dually. I just traded in my old Chev dually for a Dodge dually, diesel of course & wouldn't want to pull with anything else. It sounds like you're maybe hauling lots of weight with the living quarters so dually would be good thing for you. I also love the stability it gives in windy weather, passing big trucks, etc. Just love them.

shakeytails
Aug. 1, 2010, 02:50 PM
My old dually saved my butt. I had a poorly loaded bundle of green lumber on a bp dump trailer (high center of gravity). I got up to about 30 mph going uphill, thank God I didn't have to use brakes to slow down, and that trailer started to fishtail like you wouldn't believe. With my white knuckles glued to the steering wheel, I could hear those duals chirping across the road as the trailer pulled it sideways. I firmly believe that if I hadn't had duals, I would have been calling a wrecker and picking up lumber off the side of the road!

I haul now with a 3/4 T diesel, mostly within an hour and a half of home. If I hauled as far as you do regularly, I'd want the security of the duals.

jcotton
Aug. 1, 2010, 02:53 PM
I will only ever have a dually.
I don't have a rig as large as yours but I have to haul cows and they never stand still--they are always pushing and shoving for position.
But I love having plenty of truck to do the job and the comfort that if a rear tire goes then its mate will get me safely stopped or to a tire store.

Jaegermonster
Aug. 1, 2010, 04:29 PM
I have a similar trailer to yours, OP, only mine has a 12' LQ. I also have an F250.
It's a 4x4 2002 7.3 psd crew cab. I would love to have an F350 dually, I think it would give me added stability and so on with such a long trailer.
However, the trailer was too good a deal to pass up so even though we aren't in a position to get a new truck right now we jumped on it. I also have a 2h GN that I use if I don't need to haul 3 horses or need the LQ.

When I bought the trailer, I took my F250 to a diesel/big truck place and I had two extra springs put in the rear end. It cost about $500, and made all the difference in the world in the way the trailer hauled and really seemed to help the truck. I don't the actual engine and all are that much different from the F250 and 350. Just something to consider til you can get a new truck.

SLW
Aug. 1, 2010, 06:30 PM
My GN trailer is only 16' so I haul with my F-250 SD. However, I've been told that were I to decide to go larger trailer a one ton dually is the only way to go for safety and handling. Good luck and glad you survived the blow out, how scarey. :(

Foxtrot's
Aug. 1, 2010, 06:31 PM
Nearly all the dually's I've seen have had damage done to the wide fenders.
Unless it is to be kept hitched to the trailer, one has to drive very carefully when parking and hope others don't drive into them.

walkinthewalk
Aug. 1, 2010, 06:38 PM
We have an old 4X GMC single axle HD 3/4 ton that sits on one ton cargo van springs and an '88 F350 Lariat dually.

There is a big difference in pulling stability between the two, pulling the same 4 horse trailer.

Even though the dually means buying 6 tires and is longer so I need more turning room, I still vote for the dually.

Tom King
Aug. 1, 2010, 07:07 PM
I pulled with 4 wheel trucks for a long time. After finally going to a dually, I'll never go back. We have several trucks sitting around and I'll even use the dually if I have to do some simple, light pulling job like pulling a jetski out of the water.

As for tires, the tires on my dually currently have 110,000 miles on them and I don't ever remember getting much more than half that on 4 wheel trucks.

Jaegermonster
Aug. 1, 2010, 07:14 PM
Unless it is to be kept hitched to the trailer, one has to drive very carefully when parking and hope others don't drive into them.

That's not really the trucks fault that it's people don't know how to drive it now is it?

chism
Aug. 1, 2010, 07:33 PM

Haha...I bought my most recent dually used. I get crap all the time from people busting me (and my driving skills) for the cosmetic damage on the passenger side wheel well when I bought it that way. ;) I bet for every ten duallys you see, at least half of them have a blemish there.
Funny aside about the dual wheels...my teenage daughters like to say that my truck has wide hips. ;)

shawneeAcres
Aug. 1, 2010, 07:38 PM
I have been hauling for 30+ years and have never ever had a dually or felt I needed one. I haul with a F250 diesel, and have hauled as many as five good sized horses with no issues. I wouldn't buy one

Cielo Azure
Aug. 1, 2010, 07:51 PM
I love my 4W drive dually, very stable and it doesn't get stuck. It is a GMC 3500, year 2006 and it has been amazing! I get around 15 miles to the gallon, it hauls 17,000 pounds and I routinely haul 10,000 pounds of horse with it. No issues.

As we have a hilly farm, and use it for farm work, I love both the dually and the 4W drive!

I just park it in the back of parking lots, then walk to avoid people hitting it. I do have another car, but I use the dually almost exclusively (I don't have to commute). It is just so comfortable, like driving a couch.

Guilherme
Aug. 1, 2010, 09:32 PM
Unless you are working at the upper end of your capacity you probably don't need a dually. But they are a sure-enough nice to have!

They add a significant contribution to stability of the tow. Again, you probably don't need this but when the winds get high and road gets wet it give a measure of peace of mind. You can also drive on one tire, if you watch your speed, for a modest distance with one flat rear. Even with a tow.

The downside is that they have "wide hips" and you can have difficulty in heavily urbanized areas (or parking lots striped for yuppie mini-cars). They also extract a mild milage penalty (from the rolling friction of that extra tire).

At the end of the day, for most horse owners, this is a personal decision. Get what you can afford, makes you happy, and permits you to do what you want to do! :)

G.

LMH
Aug. 2, 2010, 06:22 AM
I LOVE my 350 dually.

I 350 without dual wheels just looks like a eunuch to me.:lol:

Kairoshorses
Aug. 2, 2010, 12:52 PM
THANKS, everyone! This vehicle will be used primarily to tow. We live on dirt road, and when it rains, we need two four-wheel drive vehicles. Right now, that's our expedition and the 250.

How are four wheel drive duallys on mud?

Thanks again, everyone. This discussion is very helpful for me.

RxCate
Aug. 2, 2010, 02:27 PM
In response to this, I would say that with the rig you have, it's better to have the dually than not.

OT, why do you need three threads (2 that are identical) on basically this same subject?