PDA

View Full Version : Any issue with putting horses on pasture that cattle have lived on??

Dune
Aug. 1, 2010, 12:03 PM
I think it's more of a dirt pasture than a grass pasture...if that makes a difference. I know absolutely NOTHING about cattle, but was recently offered a nice size pasture that is soon to be vacated by cattle. Is there anything that needs to be done with the manure?? sign me, totally clueless:lol:

2bee
Aug. 1, 2010, 12:52 PM
Cattle lived 'on'? Hell, most of my horses have lived WITH cattle at some point.

shakeytails
Aug. 1, 2010, 12:54 PM
Nope, the parasites are species specific. I used to pasture them together partly for this reason- the cows would eat near the horse poop, and the horses would eat near cow poop. And the cows would clean up any hay the horses thought was icky.

The only problem might be the fencing. Cattle fence is generally shorter, and of course barbed wire is common.

Dune
Aug. 1, 2010, 07:04 PM
Cattle lived 'on'? Hell, most of my horses have lived WITH cattle at some point.

Hmm, ok, cool.

Nope, the parasites are species specific. I used to pasture them together partly for this reason- the cows would eat near the horse poop, and the horses would eat near cow poop. And the cows would clean up any hay the horses thought was icky.

The only problem might be the fencing. Cattle fence is generally shorter, and of course barbed wire is common.

The fencing is fine, was built for horses but for some reason he has cattle out there. So, if they don't clean up the manure then there's really not a problem?

Almost Heaven
Aug. 1, 2010, 07:27 PM
No problem. Most efficient use of pasture is to rotate it between horses & cattle, with a few goats sprinkled in between.

Cruiser12
Aug. 1, 2010, 08:51 PM
Yep, it will be fine, unless there's just an obscene amount of manure out there.

mjrtango93
Aug. 2, 2010, 11:59 AM
So as others have said, cows & horses can use the same pasture. We have a group of horses that still goes out with the cattle. If it is a dirt pasture though and there is a lot of cow poop I would recommend dragging the pasture to break up the poo so it will dry out and fertilize your pasture better. Trust me there is nothing worse then having your horse come in covered in cow crap because they ran around and rolled in it!

Lady Counselor
Aug. 3, 2010, 04:27 PM
So a random question comes to mind regarding horses on land cattle have been on long term: Any truth to the story about horses getting wicked thrush due to that? A farm in this area has lots of foot problems and they attribute it to that. I'm not sure I belive that personally...

dab
Aug. 4, 2010, 04:03 PM
You might get the grass analyzed -- I think cattle do well on grass high in fructans, and any horses prone to laminitis should avoid large amounts of fructans -- Check out http://safergrass.org/ --

RAyers
Aug. 4, 2010, 05:42 PM
Working at a large animal hospital we saw many cases of samonella in horses due to living with cattle in confined conditions. If the space is large enough, yes, they can but in a smaller pasture (depending on animal load) there can be several issues between cattle and horses.

If you are concerned, let the area stand for a few weeks and allow the native flora rebalance before turning the horses out.

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Aug. 4, 2010, 08:55 PM
When I was a kid, my horse was turned out in a group of about 5 on 30ish acres with a herd of cattle. Never had any issues with it, but he was only out about 6 hours a day, and was in a very large area.