PDA

View Full Version : Best One Ton?

Kairoshorses
Jul. 30, 2010, 08:45 PM
I've been pulling my three horse slant GN with smallish LQ with a 3/4 ton truck for the past two years...and I think it's time to move up to a dually/one ton. I haul 6-12 hours to each event, and I'm thinking about expanding to some others.

Currently, I drive a Ford F250, and while I like it, it gets HORRIBLE gas mileage. I'd like to know what you guys think about your larger trucks: what do you like about them? Dislike?

I spoke to someone locally who switched from Ford to Dodge, and I'm considering making the same switch.

Thoughts? I'll be shopping for a while. :-)

molliwog
Jul. 31, 2010, 02:26 AM
Best one ton? Slightly older Ford F-350 with the 7.3 liter diesel engine.... You can still find some of these with less than 100K miles- and this engine will go forever.

You will like the torque on the low end, and and the end of the day, it gets better mileage than its gasoline counterparts. This is probably one of the better diesel engines still out there.....and it's longevity is becoming legendary.

We have one of these trucks, and every time I drive a newer one, I am thankful to go home to my "old" truck.

CatOnLap
Jul. 31, 2010, 11:22 AM
popping corn...

waiting for the little boy decals that say "P!$$ on (choose brand)"

and agreeing about the Fords...

I have a late 2005 6L turbo diesel, F350 Dually long box, crew cab with all the options. Nicest vehicle I have ever owned- even prefer it to the Mercedes 450SL and the Jaguar XJ6 I used to have. Its very nearly as fast as the MB, every bit as comfortable as the Jag, hauls @$$ and everything else I can attach to it, and sips the fuel.

cssutton
Jul. 31, 2010, 11:06 PM
I've been pulling my three horse slant GN with smallish LQ with a 3/4 ton truck for the past two years...and I think it's time to move up to a dually/one ton. I haul 6-12 hours to each event, and I'm thinking about expanding to some others.

Currently, I drive a Ford F250, and while I like it, it gets HORRIBLE gas mileage. I'd like to know what you guys think about your larger trucks: what do you like about them? Dislike?

I spoke to someone locally who switched from Ford to Dodge, and I'm considering making the same switch.

Thoughts? I'll be shopping for a while. :-)

Ford is out this year with their own engine, so I can't comment on it.

But I have a lot of miles in Ford diesels.

My last was a '99 F350 7.3. It was a really good truck.

I bought a 2008 F350 6.4 and it is the nicest truck I have ever driven. There is no way I would go back to the 7.3.

When it was new, fuel mileage was not very impressive. However now that it has 77,000 on it the mileage is much better.

12 MPG on interstates pulling a 4 horse Sundowner at 65 to 70.

Just recently, the mileage when not pulling has gone up to 18.7 MPG.

Last time in the garage for oil and filter change, they flashed the computer and the regen runs so infrequently that it is rare to see it. Where regen originally ran for 15 minutes at a time, it now runs for only seconds. That has helped the mileage, but what has helped it the most is the miles on the engine. They say these engines are not broken in until they pass 50,000 and that has been my experience.

This truck gets the same MPG pulling and much better not pulling than my 7.3. It is so much quieter and better riding that there is no comparison at all.

10,000 miles between oil changes and at 10,000 the oil is exactly on the full mark.

I do not have one single gripe except that the step is not long enough that I can stand on it when getting tools out of the tool box.

By the way, I have a 3.73 rear end and 20" wheels. The 20" wheels help with the MPG.

The 3.73 will pull the trailer up a 9% grade like it is flat land.

Get the tow package but also get the camper package. That adds stability.

Do NOT get a gas engine.

CSSJR

cssutton
Jul. 31, 2010, 11:10 PM
popping corn...

waiting for the little boy decals that say "P!$$ on (choose brand)"

and agreeing about the Fords...

I have a late 2005 6L turbo diesel, F350 Dually long box, crew cab with all the options. Nicest vehicle I have ever owned- even prefer it to the Mercedes 450SL and the Jaguar XJ6 I used to have. Its very nearly as fast as the MB, every bit as comfortable as the Jag, hauls @$$ and everything else I can attach to it, and sips the fuel.

<<Auctioneers will sometimes even say, "A good horse if you want to retrain it unnaturally!">> -MistyBlue

The one I like the best is: "He can jump ANYTHING he wants to."

Iron Horse Farm
Aug. 1, 2010, 10:12 AM
love love love my Ford F-350 Turbo Diesel 7.3

I have a manual, so it gets better mileage. I bought it to replace a 1989 F-350 Turbo diesel.

Kairoshorses
Aug. 1, 2010, 01:45 PM
Do you like/have you towed with a dually? I may nee to post that question separately! Thanks for your experience. I love the ford I have EXCEPT for gas mileage.

Ford is out this year with their own engine, so I can't comment on it.

But I have a lot of miles in Ford diesels.

My last was a '99 F350 7.3. It was a really good truck.

I bought a 2008 F350 6.4 and it is the nicest truck I have ever driven. There is no way I would go back to the 7.3.

When it was new, fuel mileage was not very impressive. However now that it has 77,000 on it the mileage is much better.

12 MPG on interstates pulling a 4 horse Sundowner at 65 to 70.

Just recently, the mileage when not pulling has gone up to 18.7 MPG.

Last time in the garage for oil and filter change, they flashed the computer and the regen runs so infrequently that it is rare to see it. Where regen originally ran for 15 minutes at a time, it now runs for only seconds. That has helped the mileage, but what has helped it the most is the miles on the engine. They say these engines are not broken in until they pass 50,000 and that has been my experience.

This truck gets the same MPG pulling and much better not pulling than my 7.3. It is so much quieter and better riding that there is no comparison at all.

10,000 miles between oil changes and at 10,000 the oil is exactly on the full mark.

I do not have one single gripe except that the step is not long enough that I can stand on it when getting tools out of the tool box.

By the way, I have a 3.73 rear end and 20" wheels. The 20" wheels help with the MPG.

The 3.73 will pull the trailer up a 9% grade like it is flat land.

Get the tow package but also get the camper package. That adds stability.

Do NOT get a gas engine.

CSSJR

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Aug. 1, 2010, 02:33 PM
Sorry, have to throw in my vote for the Dodge Cummings diesel. I've see problems with all of them but for my $$$ the Dodge is at this time the best diesel out there. Getting good fuel mileage also. Love this truck.

cssutton
Aug. 1, 2010, 09:30 PM
Do you like/have you towed with a dually? I may nee to post that question separately! Thanks for your experience. I love the ford I have EXCEPT for gas mileage.

Of course this will bring out more differences of opinion.

First, you will find a dually very unpleasant company when driving in town. Parking places, shopping centers, etc. You will find nothing fits.

If you purchase a premium tire, such as Michelin and keep the rears inflated to 80 lbs, and buy the camper package, you will not need a dually.

If you are buying a wrecker or going to haul brinks, cinder blocks, etc., in the bed, a dually is a good thing.

But a horse trailer is constructed so that there is not a lot of weight on the hitch.

There was also a thread on here back in the winter about how duallys are a pain in snow. Like getting stuck pain.

I would not have a dually.

Also premium tires are very expensive. It raises your tire cost by 50%.

A set of 20" Michelins costs $1,500 mounted and balanced.

So on a dually the cost would be $2,250.00.

I always say the dually is for the "Marlboro Man", who gets out of his truck, hitches up his jeans so you can see his cowboy boots and pulls his hat down over his eyes....

Man, is he ever a lady killer.....

Goes with that big belt buckle.

No dually for me.

One exception to all of the above. If your trailer is going to be one of those 50 ft. long things with the super duper living quarters with everything in it that you have at home, yes you better get a dually. Those things are really heavy.

But then you should also have an F-450 or even an F-550 to pull it.

CSSJR

Guilherme
Aug. 1, 2010, 09:42 PM
We got a 2008 Chevy 3500HD (dually, crew cab, long bed, 4WD). We've got the LMM Duramax (Fourth Generation), a mature power plant with a good track record. You also get the Allison tranny, which even die-hard Ford and RAM folks admit is the best in the business. So far no issues at all.

The rest of the truck is of at least good quality.

With this type of vehicle you're going to have low milage. My truck, from a CAT scale, weighs in at 7100 lbs. with a half tank of fuel, empty aux tank, and some odds and ends under the rear seat. It takes energy to move iron (that's just high school physics). Milage runs 15 mpg. around town and 10-12 mpg towing (very dependant upon speed, road conditions, pay load weight, wind, and how heavy my right foot gets). I've read claims of people getting in the high teens pulling big fifth-wheels at 70 mph and I consider them bunk.

You don't buy this class of vehicle if fuel economy is your goal. ;)

G.

ThirdCharm
Aug. 1, 2010, 10:37 PM
We have a 1992 Dodge dually with a Cummins 6-cylinder diesel, and a 2002 "slightly older" F-350 7.3 litre diesel. The Cummins gets WAAAAY better mileage and has more power, hands down. The Ford is a comfy ride and looks pretty hitched to your trailer. Guess ya gotta have your priorities.

On the other hand, mechanics are more likely to be familiar with the problems of the Ford, because they get so much practice on them. I LOVE going to the Ford dealership to pick up parts for DH's pretty Ford in my old Dodge. When I hae had to get parts for the Dodge, they are a lot cheaper than the parts for the Ford ($99 injectors vs. $290, for instance).

The Dodge dually is my daily driver and if you have some degree of sense driving in town is not a problem. If you can't maneuver a large pickup around town, the advisability of hooking up to a trailer of any variety might be in question.....

Jennifer

TB Fan
Aug. 3, 2010, 01:06 PM
was lucky enough to find an older Ford F350 diesel duelly crew cab and love love love it. It had no miles on it. I think the body will give before the engine. It's a '94 with 59K (original) on it. It has the 7.3 turbo diesel engine. It really has been good to drive, comfortable and the mileage is managable given the size and towing capacity.

Trakehner
Aug. 3, 2010, 01:37 PM
Popcorn...where's my Popcorn!!!

Hmmm, it's all what you like and what you find.

I've got a 2008 dually Dodge 3500...love the truck and how it tows (effortlessly) and it's mileage (16 loaded towing a long gooseneck and 22 on the highway by itself). I had a Ford Bronco I towed bumper pull trailers thousands of miles..had some tougher times with Looooooong hills, but it did tow pretty well (I know, really not optimal but it did the job...all at 9 miles a gallon-OW!). I had a Chevy Avalanche I towed a steel 16' stock trailer with all over the east coast. It did great, again, the Looooong hills were tough on it and the transmission went at 100K (which is pretty standard I hear with Chevy's).

I've towed with most everything. My new Dodge tows the best. I didn't feel underclassed with my other stuff though...go with what you like, there's really not much garbage around nowadays.

Beam Me Up
Aug. 3, 2010, 02:00 PM
I have a 99 F350 diesel manual with about 112K.
The mileage is great (22 mpg not towing) and it tows well, but it's been very expensive to maintain. Yeah, it's not new, but I've spent a lot replacing various electric (wiring, etc.) and computer module type stuff, as well as the usual stuff that goes on older trucks (starter, brakes, e-brake). It also is subject to the recall about stalling at highway speeds (got the part replaced, but apparently it is just as likely to happen again).

My previous truck, an F250 gas made it over 200K, but only got 10 mpg towing.