PDA

View Full Version : Someone or something is going to die.

twotrudoc
Jul. 28, 2010, 02:55 PM
My neighbors went to the neighborhood feed store and bought 8 chicks. 7 are roosters. These roosters crow all night and all day. No joke, no exaggerating. I have HAD it. My roommie is thinking of just sneaking over and wringing their little necks (her bedroom is on that side, it is summer and windows need to be open).

I live out in the country so no noise regs. I did stop by yesterday to politely suggest they lock the noise makers in something say, between the hours of 10 pm and 5 am and got the blow off.

I think they are stoners (ran out in the driveway when I pulled up, didn't want me near the house, small wiffs of weed smell) so maybe they will be too baked to notice us sneaking over killing and eating their roosters!?

jetsmom
Jul. 28, 2010, 03:20 PM
Maybe call the police and say that you are concerned that something is attacking their "livestock/roosters) because of the noise. If police go there enough and interrupt their pot smoking, they might think they should get rid of them. If Cockfighting is illegal there, you could also tell police you suspect that kind of activity. Just keep the police going over there enough, and they might get rid of them.

Otherwise, do those Bark deterrent birdhouses work on roosters?

kookicat
Jul. 28, 2010, 03:24 PM
I can post you a couple of cats that just looooove killing things.

twotrudoc
Jul. 28, 2010, 03:25 PM
Bark deterrent birdhouses?

Bluey
Jul. 28, 2010, 03:27 PM
Earplugs?;)

SmartAlex
Jul. 28, 2010, 03:27 PM
Why do roosters have to start crowing at 4am? I mean REALLY! A couple of years ago my mother had a hen that started crowing. Luckily she stopped!

If it's any consolation, once they get older and crowing isn't such a novelty, the roosters will get a little more accurate with their crowing. When they first start, they practice all.the.time. But you know that ;)

Murphy's Mom
Jul. 28, 2010, 03:56 PM
My friend "liberated" her neighbor's rooster. Took it to the local livestock auction and sold it in the parking lot for $10. :lol:

Concordia
Jul. 28, 2010, 03:59 PM
My friend "liberated" her neighbor's rooster. Took it to the local livestock auction and sold it in the parking lot for $10. :lol:

Hahah. That is SO bad, but SO funny!!! :lol::yes:

MunchkinsMom
Jul. 28, 2010, 04:04 PM
Foxes, you need foxes, or maybe coyotes.

deltawave
Jul. 28, 2010, 04:16 PM
My friend "liberated" her neighbor's rooster. Took it to the local livestock auction and sold it in the parking lot for $10.

Avian trafficking! :lol:

I'd call the police and give them a little heads-up on suspected goings-on.

Eventer55
Jul. 28, 2010, 04:18 PM
G. Gordon Liddy one time had neighbors that played music so loud no one could talk or hear, so one day he cranked his truck stereo up to notch 10 and parked it up by his property line with The March of the Valkieries. He got a phone call and the voice said "we give up, we give up" They never played loud music again.

Maybe you need a recording of a really loud barking dog. Start it at say 3 am and run it all day right on your property line. . . just a suggestion.

WildBlue
Jul. 28, 2010, 04:21 PM
I wouldn't hold out hope that the roosters will change their schedule. When I was in high school, we had some that were very fond of crowing at 1 or 2 a.m. under the bedroom windows. I used to go down in the morning and collect all the stuff I had hurled at them in the night, trying to get lucky and kill the blasted things.

They eventually moved night time operations to our parents' side of the house. Shortly after that, they were dinner.

bigbaytb
Jul. 28, 2010, 04:31 PM
G. Gordon Liddy one time had neighbors that played music so loud no one could talk or hear, so one day he cranked his truck stereo up to notch 10 and parked it up by his property line with The March of the Valkieries. He got a phone call and the voice said "we give up, we give up" They never played loud music again.

Maybe you need a recording of a really loud barking dog. Start it at say 3 am and run it all day right on your property line. . . just a suggestion.

How about playing Bolero by Ravel over and over...that should drive them nutty too!

Woodsperson
Jul. 28, 2010, 04:50 PM
If they bought all or mostly roosters they may be fighting the. I have neighbors that do and we live in the city.

You can do what my mother did. We had a neighbor with a big dog that roamed. It would come in our front yard and bark at 1 or 2 in the morning. My mother got so fed up she would call the neighbors and bark at them over the phone. Of course that was before caller ID.

2DogsFarm
Jul. 28, 2010, 05:14 PM
I have a better (musical) suggestion:

Spinning Wheel by Chicago
What goes up, must come down.....

Death by Earworm :D

I just saw Woodsperson's post - I fixed my roaming barking dog with corn syrup.
Big, friendly dog didn't mind a bit when I poured it allllllllll over him at 2A
And I'm sure he rolled in something before going home.....

SuperSTB
Jul. 28, 2010, 05:22 PM
Tell them you'll give them 7 hens for 7 roosters :)

We have roosters all over the place in our neighborhood- yep some are certainly used for cockfighting. Others- like my neighbor actually breeds rares. Tell you the truth I don't even notice the noise anymore. Shrubs and stuff can help abate noise.

kinnip
Jul. 28, 2010, 05:38 PM
Consequences of country living. I suggest you invest in a white noise machine. I don't care how wrecked I am, if I see someone or their dog messing with my poultry, I'll be the one calling the cops after the shooting.

fivehorses
Jul. 28, 2010, 06:28 PM
Agreed kinnip. I have chickens, horses, goat, dogs, etc, and do my best to keep them quiet.
But, I guess I am a bit sensitive to people living in the country and complaining. I rec'd a noise complaint regarding my horses...they made too much noise when they ran in the field. Seriously. Granted some are drafts, and the ground does rumble, but the town and my neighbor were quite serious.

So...my attitude towards this is grow up and remember where you live, and maybe your neighbors don't like some of your going on.

twotrudoc
Jul. 28, 2010, 07:19 PM
Fivehorses, I hope that made your day to be so rude and assuming :) For the record, I am 38 and have lived in the country most of my life. I'm one of those that neighbors call at 1 am to help with various livestock/farm issues. Anyone with any sense or experience with poultry should know enough to put them in at night, roosters also tend to be quieter when indoors.

Now, since I am dealing with people who know nothing about poultry next door that have 7 roosters crowing all day including between 10 pm and 5 am I really do appreciate the ideas and funny stories! Murphys Mom, I see you are in WA, I live in the Roy area, how much does your friend charge for her services LOL!!

fivehorses
Jul. 28, 2010, 07:28 PM
Whats with the smile after the insult?twotruedoc? If you want to insult me, do so, but putting a smile afterwards is a bit two faced, eh.
I will repeat, grow up, get a life and realize country living is to be tolerant of others with farm animals, otherwise you will have neighbors complaining about the noise and smells and bugs and rodents and snakes, etc, etc that come with horses.

twotrudoc
Jul. 28, 2010, 07:32 PM
Fivehorses, two faced means saying one thing in front of someone while saying another behind their back. I say what I mean and I was smiling when I read your snippy post. Now I am laughing LOL!!

Go pick a fight elsewhere, I have no interest in hostile assume-it-alls :lol::lol:

scheherazadetbmare
Jul. 28, 2010, 07:32 PM
Borrow or rent a couple of peacocks/peahens and place them in a pen on the side of the house where your offending neighbors live, as close to their bedroom as possible.
After a few mornings of "help" "help" screaming at daybreak by the peacocks/hens, you can negotiate a truce.

JSwan
Jul. 28, 2010, 07:35 PM
After a few mornings of "help" "help" screaming at daybreak by the peacocks/hens, you can negotiate a truce.

Followed by a BBQ. :lol:

twotrudoc
Jul. 28, 2010, 07:35 PM
AHAHAAA!!!!!!!! Oh that is great! I know where to get some, one of my friends lives next door to a peacock farm. She says that get stuck in trees and scream as well as come flying/running/flapping into her yard spooking even the 29 year old retiree mare LOL!!

rcloisonne
Jul. 28, 2010, 08:04 PM
Spinning Wheel by Chicago
What goes up, must come down.....
At the risk of dating myself, Spinning Wheel was written and performed by David Clayton-Thomas of Blood Sweat and Tears fame.

To the OP, get an air conditioner.

gloriginger
Jul. 28, 2010, 08:15 PM
so these folks had such bad luck that when they bought 8 they ended up with 7 boys? I don't know much about chickens, but isn't it hard to sex them when they are chix? I know in NH everyone is giving away roosters!

Also- only what I think- but won't 7 roosters grow up and kill each other- to fight for the 1 girl?

Equino
Jul. 28, 2010, 08:42 PM
I don't think so...I know most places will "fill" an order with roosters to keep the hens warm-like if you order 20, and they ship in 25, 20 hens and 5 roosters. And they are babies, so they must be able to tell! We ordered 25 once, and one ended up a rooster, rest all hens. He was fine. We also had two other roosters, and the three were all fine together, but the two originally known to be roosters were NASTY to people-chased and attacked us, so they had to go. The supposed to be hen rooster was fine, skittish even.

vacation1
Jul. 28, 2010, 09:08 PM
Chicks are cheaper if you buy them straight-run (says the totally non-rural person who just likes getting the Stromberg's catalog every year) versus all female. I believe there is a specific variety, sex-links (what a name) that was developed to make it simple to tell the sexes apart at hatching. Otherwise, yeah, I think it's hard to tell.

Pot-smelling neighbors and roosters... My sympathies. If you were in the mood to be rather roostercidal, you could leave some delicious chicken-predator bait around the edges of the neighbor's property - say, cat food.

Acertainsmile
Jul. 28, 2010, 09:19 PM
Chicken Soup, Chicken Pot Pies, Baked or Fried Chicken...

twotrudoc
Jul. 28, 2010, 09:23 PM
I love chicken pot pies.. I wonder how old they are before they get tough. Maybe I will go over with a bottle or two of vodka, let the neighbors get REAL out of it and get those things in my fridge before they get too old. I would, of course, offer some to the neighbors *cough*.

Catersun
Jul. 28, 2010, 09:57 PM
depends on when they make it to market weight... some birds grow faster depending on the breed.

anyone know if capon's crow like roosters?

I have been wondering this... FYI a capon is a castrated roo, which require some surgical knowhow as it requires opening the birds body to take out the gonads, but I have heard from old timers it's a nice way to have some mature, but not gamey bird when you do decide to slaughter it for eating.

*giggling to myself thinking of all the people grossed out by this post... I know you are out there! lol*

JanM
Jul. 28, 2010, 10:11 PM
If they're major pot heads as you suspect then maybe some dark night when they run out of brownies they'll settle for fried rooster.

I know what it is to have very noisy, inconsiderate neighbors and you have my sympathies.

EponaRoan
Jul. 29, 2010, 01:35 AM
I think they are stoners (ran out in the driveway when I pulled up, didn't want me near the house, small wiffs of weed smell) so maybe they will be too baked to notice us sneaking over killing and eating their roosters!?

Maybe they'll get the munchies and decide that fried chicken is the way to go. You could try some sort of subliminal message when you play Spinning Wheel. :lol::lol::lol:

Mrsmph
Jul. 29, 2010, 10:28 AM
now I have "Spinning Wheel" stuck in my head....over and over.
:mad:

twotrudoc
Jul. 29, 2010, 10:30 AM
:lol::lol:

Something tells me country music would drive them bonkers faster. That and the peacocks!

Eventer55
Jul. 29, 2010, 10:46 AM
When I raised poultry for eating, it was all roosters. Any foul will get tough if old enough, the roosters get bigger faster and provide more meat.

I found I can't do it any more as they all get names . . .:(

And yes, thanks I'm now singing Spinning Wheel

merrygoround
Jul. 29, 2010, 10:51 AM
Why do roosters have to start crowing at 4am? I mean REALLY! A couple of years ago my mother had a hen that started crowing. Luckily she stopped!

Maybe she figured out that "a whistling woman and a crowing hen will always come to no good end". :lol: :D

susanne
Jul. 29, 2010, 04:37 PM
We are the owners of an accidental rooster...one who used to crow at all hours, day or night.

We were given three young hens, one of whom had enormous feet and was more substantial than the others . All three girls were robust farm girls, but this one just kept growing. We thought we had an East German swimmer on our hands, and named her Lady Gaga.

One day Lady Gaga began crowing and soon after began -- ahem -- mounting her sisters. We renamed mister sister Russell Crowe.

Russell is a big puppy dog of a rooster. We previously had a bantam rooster who was truly a roo with short man's syndrome, plotting ways to attack us with his triple spurs. He went to the feed store as part of their "don't ask, don't tell" rooster rehoming program, as I can't eat anyone I know by name.

Russell, however, is a bird of a different feather. He runs clumsily along behind me as I feed the horses (whom he loves). He takes dust baths on his back, kicking his enormous feet in the air and squawking in ecstacy.

Unfortunately, Russell never read the book that said roosters crow at dawn. I'm typically awake until 2am, and I heard him. I asked the neighbors if he bothered them, and they said no, roosters are part of living in the country. We relaxed, since we sleep like the dead and wouldn't hear a log truck driving through our house.

Then one day we received an anonymous letter in our mailbox, addressed to "Our Neighbors with the Rooster." They lacked the cojones to comes to our door and tell us they were losing sleep due to Russell. They also assumed we knew nothing about chickens and informed us that we didn't need a rooster to enjoy eggs. Duhh.

We were in a quandary. Russell is not simply livestock, he's a pet and we had no intention of getting rid of him. However, we want to be good neighbors and we do complain (to each other) about a neighbor's dog that barks incessently. (perhaps even the same neighbor?)

We decided Russell was worth the effort to try to change his ways. At first, we put him in a dog carrier and bedded him in the bathroom. This worked well, as we learned he didn't crow when crated -- perhaps it was an identity crisis. The trouble was, he hated being caught, and my husband soon tired of this nighttime ritual.

So we then tried turning out all the lights that he could see, indoor and out. Voila! Success!! Russell was silent until 4am, when my husband gets up for work.

We soon received a thank you note from the same anonymous neighbor. We talked to everyone on our road, asking if they were bothered by Russell, and all said no. Unless they were overly timid, it had to have been a more distant neighbor.

We wanted to do right by our neighbors, but we rather resented their chicken-&$@% way of complaining and their assumption that we knew nothing about chickens.

So, if I were in your situation, I would tell your neighbors nicely but honestly that their roosters are annoying you and causing you to lose sleep. I agree that if someone had come in and killed our rooster or any of our animals, they would have had to deal with me (a 50ish legally blind woman who will defend her animals against anyone or anything).

Good luck -- you never know, they may be equally annoyed by their bachelor flock.

Frank B
Jul. 29, 2010, 04:52 PM
G. Gordon Liddy one time had neighbors that played music so loud no one could talk or hear, so one day he cranked his truck stereo up to notch 10...

BAGPIPES! :eek:

WildBlue
Jul. 29, 2010, 05:23 PM
Or guinea hens.

Though, in that case, the cure is probably worse than the existing disease.

sadlmakr
Jul. 29, 2010, 05:44 PM
Oh " Merrygoround", I have not Heard that poem about "Whistling girls and crowing hens, both come to no good ends " in about 45 years. My mother used to tell me that when I was a girl and trying to copy my brothers when they could do ear splitting whistles. Brings back fond memories.
If these folks have a hen house they need to keep the roosters in until a reasonable hour like 6:00 AM and put them into roost at night and close the door.
We had a Rhode Island Red rooster who was a great ruler of the barnyard. But he was good in that he didn't bring out every one until after 6:00AM.
We had one hen who would try to crow at the moon. That was the only time she did it. If she had not been such a great layer she would have been in the stew-pot too.
If these folks do not understand the roosters are maKing to much noise then the Animal control people ought to be able to tell them so they understand.
jmho.
SADLMAKR

Tangerine Farmer
Jul. 29, 2010, 07:28 PM
I would try the nice approach first. It can always deteriorate to sneaking over and grabbing them.

Go over (again, yes I know you've been there), and tell them that the roosters are driving you nutty. Would they be interested in trading them for female chicks?

Or... "may I buy them off you for $3 each?"

Or.... "would you like to trade them for this lovely bottle of Jack Daniels???"

It will cost you a few dollars... but for sanity it would be worth it.

If that fails, try rat poison?

Pennywell Bay
Jul. 29, 2010, 08:01 PM
I have a Jack Russell who will take care of them!!! Totally kidding, I would not want someone taking vengence out on any of my animals. Maybe try just talking to them. Some people ignore the anonymous note route ( though I thought it was kind that someone did not). If you talk to them in a courteous manner and maybe give them some suggestions AND If they are reasonable, they will at least attempt to be considerate. If not - Newton is for hire and I'll bring my Honey Mustard sauce !!!!!!

JanM
Jul. 29, 2010, 09:12 PM
This is such a fun thread! I love all of the tongue-in-cheek remarks about things to do to the roosters that no one would ever think of doing. Actually, if the threads on here are any indication of the increase in wildlife and domestic dogs running amok then I imagine that we'll soon hear about the roosters disappearing mysteriously. I especially love the pet rooster and rooster training stories, and I love the names everyone came up with for their birds.

Huntertwo
Jul. 29, 2010, 09:20 PM
Our house it too quiet at night, except the cats who decide to play all night.

Invest in a nice loud fan to keep by your bedside.

Even when hubby cuts the grass when I'm sleeping, I rarely hear it.

Huntertwo
Jul. 29, 2010, 09:23 PM

I assume that is supposed to be funny, but would your neighbor like it if someone stole a dog or a cat of hers and brought it to the pound or worse yet, dumped it on the side of the road?

I had a rooster who was a pet and I'd be pretty devastated and more than ticked off if someone pulled a stunt like that.

twotrudoc
Jul. 29, 2010, 09:39 PM
I think I love Russell Crow LOL!

I bet they would give me a rooster or 7 for some weed....

EponaRoan
Jul. 30, 2010, 01:21 AM
Or.... "would you like to trade them for this lovely bottle of Jack Daniels???"

Or Doritos and Mountain Dew. :lol::lol::lol:

CatOnLap
Jul. 30, 2010, 01:53 AM
Three foreign words:

Coq Au Vin.

Teacup
Jul. 30, 2010, 01:56 AM
Or Doritos and Mountain Dew. :lol::lol::lol:
Well that would explain the odd looks I was given at work when eating Doritos and Mountain Dew because I forgot my lunch. :eek:

As for the noise - do you think your neighbors would be approachable about the roosters? However, with 7 roosters it's probably a bit difficult to keep down the noise. No other suggestions, just sympathy.

molliwog
Jul. 30, 2010, 02:10 AM
Um....I also live in the country....and if my rooster was close enough to my neighbor's place that the neighbors could hear it crow....well....not gonna happen.

Another suggestion for death by earworm:
"Horse With No Name" by America

Or, you could always borrow my pneumatic fencing stapler and my compresser, and build some fences around 11 am when they are probably sleeping....it's super-duper loud!

fooler
Jul. 30, 2010, 11:03 AM
Um....I also live in the country....and if my rooster was close enough to my neighbor's place that the neighbors could hear it crow....well....not gonna happen.

Another suggestion for death by earworm:
"Horse With No Name" by America

Or, you could always borrow my pneumatic fencing stapler and my compresser, and build some fences around 11 am when they are probably sleeping....it's super-duper
loud!

Since we are in that musical era and I like "Horse With No Name" - how about "Timothy" http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2005

twotrudoc
Jul. 30, 2010, 11:11 AM
Mercy. I have a feeling they would like that song Timothy LOL!!

I think I need to take up skeet shooting at 8 or 9 am.

Threebars
Jul. 30, 2010, 11:28 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned these simple two words...

Tennis Racket.

;)

twotrudoc
Jul. 30, 2010, 11:51 AM
Tennis racket?

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jul. 30, 2010, 12:06 PM
Tennis racket?

:yes:
Scroll down to JSwan's post #14 on this thread:http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201736&highlight=chucky+rooster+racket
Enjoy.:lol:

msj
Jul. 30, 2010, 12:12 PM
Foxes, you need foxes, or maybe coyotes.

I will gladly send you the Fox family that has moved in here as they are still driving my poor dog bonkers. :rolleyes: My neighbor has 2 sons that have paint ball and bb guns and I've asked to PLEASE send them over to deter or kill the foxes. They are young foxes and very, very, very, bold. :sigh:

twotrudoc
Jul. 30, 2010, 12:22 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

EponaRoan
Jul. 30, 2010, 02:21 PM
Oh, I have an even BETTER song for you all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKDtUzRIG6I&feature=related

Fish heads, fish heads ... eat them up, YUM!!

fooler
Jul. 30, 2010, 02:36 PM
Oh, I have an even BETTER song for you all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKDtUzRIG6I&feature=related

Fish heads, fish heads ... eat them up, YUM!!

Love it!!

CatOnLap
Jul. 30, 2010, 03:53 PM
"I took a fishhead out to see a movie. Didn't have to pay to get him in!"

holy moly, its been DECADES since I saw that video on Much Music!

Melelio
Jul. 30, 2010, 10:04 PM
"I took a fishhead out to see a movie. Didn't have to pay to get him in!"

holy moly, its been DECADES since I saw that video on Much Music!

I used to FALL OUT ROFL when I heard that song!!! :eek::lol::yes: I literally would hyperventilate laughing......

Now, I'm not sure what I was thinking....nope, wasn't smokin anything green neither :winkgrin:

wildlifer
Jul. 30, 2010, 11:24 PM
Ooo, if you're going Dr. Demento, how about Dead Puppies, only you could dub it so it says "Dead roosters aren't much fun, no no.........they don't come when you call, they don't chase squirrels at alllll...."

CatOnLap
Jul. 31, 2010, 11:20 AM
Oh dear Dr. Demento? You are OLD!

lcw579
Jul. 31, 2010, 11:32 AM
Ooo, if you're going Dr. Demento, how about Dead Puppies, only you could dub it so it says "Dead roosters aren't much fun, no no.........they don't come when you call, they don't chase squirrels at alllll...."

Another good one!

Oh dear Dr. Demento? You are OLD!

I don't think so. ;)