PDA

View Full Version : F350 Diesel - 2005

Foxtrot's
Jul. 27, 2010, 11:21 PM
My son's F350 just blew up. The dealer told him it was the worst engine Ford had ever put in a truck. It blew up 18,000 kms past the warranty. It will cost $8,000.00 to repair (Canadian) and they will offer him $12,000 off the price of a new truck with trade in. Apparently this engine was in the 2004-1/2, the 2005, 6 and 7. This is a truck that has been kept in mint condition and hasn't ever gone over the service dates. Not fun.

Peggy
Jul. 27, 2010, 11:39 PM
You have my sympathy. My trainer has one too. Hers developed some sort of leak in the fuel line (?) that resulted in it spewing black smoke. I think the repair bill was several thousand US dollars (estimate from dealer was on the order of $8K)

Foxtrot's
Jul. 27, 2010, 11:57 PM
Thanks -------sympathy is nice - :( !! Shouldn't happen, though, should it?

Guilherme
Jul. 28, 2010, 07:34 AM
The 6.0L diesel in Ford trucks has been a real problem. There's $500,000,000 in litigation between Ford and International over the problem. Some people have not had issues, but Ford has been required to re-purchase at least several hundred under various "Lemon Laws."

Our tennant had one and in two years I think it spent more time in the shop than in her driveway. :(

G.

Signature
Jul. 28, 2010, 08:11 AM
I have heard the same things, that the 6.0 is not so great. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 2002 F350 with the 7.3. 188k miles right now and drives like new, no problems, so reliable. Not sure about the new motors but so sorry for your bad luck! :(

ChocoMare
Jul. 28, 2010, 08:25 AM
I work for a private ambulance service that runs nothing but Ford Diesel Units. Per our Fleet Manager, who's been doing diesels since dirt, the 6.0 was the worst thing Ford ever did. He also said that if you find a 7.3L, buy it and keep it. Thankfully I had him for info and followed his advice.

I sure hope Ford makes good on their offer for a trade-in allowance.

Still stinks tho :(

MistyBlue
Jul. 28, 2010, 08:27 AM
Ugh, that sucks.
I'm glad I didn't go for the diesel when I bought my 2005 Ford truck. Instead I went with the F250 V10. While it doesn't get great mileage, that engine purrs like a kitten and goes like hell if you need it too. (unless I don't have weight in the bed, then it just skips around a bit, LOL)
I hadn't heard how crappy the 6.0s were at the time I was shopping but just wasn't willing to spend $6100 more for a diesel. :eek: Glad I was being cheap now.
The trade in sucks too. My current Kelly trade in value is around $18k on mine.
Not that that's wonderful considering what the truck cost. IIRC I think mine came to just under $36k. Or maybe it was $34k. One of those.
They aren't giving him a $12k trade in AFTER he pays $8k for the repair, are they? Because if so and that were me I think I'd drive that truck through the dealership window.
The 2005s had all sorts of small glitches too. I got the Tow Command (TBC) first year they had it. 3 DAYS after the warranty was up the "TBC Fault" light came on my dash. I called the dealership and they said it was happening with a lot of the TBC trucks and most were just an error message but that it would cost me a minimum of $600 to hook it up to diagnostics and find out. :eek: :no:
That guy learned some new words in that phone conversation. :o
And my radiator blew a hole 2 weeks after warranty. Boy can they time the crap for after warranty can't they?
At least the first didn't cost me anything other than having that annoying warning on my dash and the second cost a few bucks for that radiator sealer stuff.
Other than that the truck has been fine, engine great...only issue is it's been hit 4 freaking times. And only once was anyone even in the truck. Apparently a honking big metallic beige truck acts like camouflage in a parking lot. And I haven't even broken 20k miles in it yet. *sigh*

I've heard that right now Dodge makes the best diesel truck engine. I will say they sure do make pretty looking trucks. Dodge was always great at body styling and color choices. But Ford is still the #1 Super Duty truck I think.

Coyoteco
Jul. 28, 2010, 02:23 PM
Can you tell me exactly what happened to the truck engine? What part caused the problem?
Thanks.

scheherazadetbmare
Jul. 28, 2010, 02:29 PM
I have heard the same things, that the 6.0 is not so great. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 2002 F350 with the 7.3. 188k miles right now and drives like new, no problems, so reliable. Not sure about the new motors but so sorry for your bad luck! :(

Ditto. The 7.3 F350 Diesel just keeps going and going and going like the Energizer Bunny.

OP, have you checked with Ford and elsewhere online to determine if there is a class action lawsuit going? If so, your son could join, and perhaps get his new engine, not a 6.0 but another one. Check all websites and see if there are any class action lawsuits active now.

Foxtrot's
Jul. 28, 2010, 02:58 PM
Coyote: I can't tell you - my eyes glaze over with truck talk!

Sche.... that's a good idea - but he's not really that much of a fighter, sort of takes the easy way out, says he'll just work a few extra hours to make up the price of a new on!

I wonder how much that truck will go for on the lot after is has had it's new engine and my son has been paid his $12,000 trade in allowance (that is if he goes for another Ford.

So --- is the reputation of the new Fords 7.3 solid?? My F250 diesel 7.2 is an 1989 - that is 22 years old - and it has never let me down, ever. I've maintained it very well, and it is a legend...I just don't know when to call it a day with it since we don't do nearly the kilos we used to these days.

Just wanted to put it out there to warn people of these 6.0 trucks and the years
they were made.

DiablosHalo
Jul. 28, 2010, 03:02 PM
I had a 7.3L that was totaled in an accident with 160k miles on it (in 2 years). It was a creampuff! I then bought a new 04 6.0L and it was junk. Was in the shop 16 times in first year. $8000+ worth of warranty work- done twice. I finally gave it away- sold it for 35% of it's price 16 months after buying it.

Ford customer service and the dealerships were even worse than the lemon truck. I couldn't get answers, help, new truck, nada. I used it to haul commercially and lost umpteen clients bc they knew that truck had sat on the side of the interstate with horses on it more than once.

I now have a GMC and will never ever ever own any Ford again. ever.

Dalemma
Jul. 28, 2010, 03:05 PM
Love my Cummins 2005 diesel....super quiet.....can hardly hear it running.

Dalemma

BasqueMom
Jul. 28, 2010, 04:55 PM
Have a 1996 7.3L diesel with 254,000 miles--an Energizer Bunny is right! Our Exedition with 5.4 Triton gas engine is the same way with 251,000 miles on it
and very little repair. Neither have had any major engine work or transmission
repair or replacement (knocking wood).

The 6.0 engine came out in the mid-2003 year. Thank the EPA for the loss of the 7.3L. The last year or so it was used were good ones according to our local Ford service manager. The 6.0 was a nightmare for Ford and the buyers.
Don't know much about the new engines after the 6.0 was replaced. Don't believe they get as good gas mileage as the 7.3L does. I'd love to have another one--it felt like it could pull the house much less a horse trailer.

Whitehedge Farm
Jul. 29, 2010, 12:44 AM
Wow scarey and timley thread for me ! my 05 F350 is at the dealership for the 2nd time in 10 days. I know nothing about engines but first was a leak in coolent system they repaired under warrenty- about 4k worth of work. Got it back and it was shaking when ideling and between 40-50 and bad when pulling trailer. They said they fixed that but now I have only 2 days !! Left on my warrenty and I am very very worried ! Should I just try and get rid of it now ? I can't afford anything newto replace it right now. :( This was for sure the first problems I have had with it and of course right when warrenty is up. Big thumbs down for ford !

Foxtrot's
Jul. 29, 2010, 01:00 AM
Then my mechanic tells me the Cummins is a good engine but Dodge cannot build a tough body - ball joints, etc. need replacing,,,,,,

Does any truck outlast its warranty by many years?

BasqueMom
Jul. 29, 2010, 01:17 AM
WhiteHedge--get it in ASAP! Try to get it fixed--if you want to trade later,
it will be worth more. Anyway you can quickly get the extended warranty on it or is that the end of it? How many miles--thought it was a 100,000 miles
on the engine and drive train?

We've had good luck with Glenn Polk Ford up in Gainesville. Kevin is the service guy we usually deal with and he's been up front with us on both our truck and Expedition. The only problem we had was something was done to the Expedition and some belts weren't put on right. Had to turn around and come right back. Still wasn't right--they finally got it right and think the mechanic involved was looking for a new job. Only problem we've had with
their department. Anyway, think highly of Kevin.

We also use 409 Repair in Sanger for some things on both vehicles. Thought
the Expedition engine had finally bit the dust--shaking, engine sounded so not right. It turned out a spark plug had unscrewed itself. It needed new ones anyway so we replaced them all and it keeps on ticking.

Whitehedge Farm
Jul. 29, 2010, 10:26 AM
Its 100K miles or 5 years.... I am just at the end of my 5 years and only have 80k miles on it. They kept it overnight to do a cold start and run on it this morning and haven heard from them yet to pick it up so am afraid its bad news :(

Guilherme
Jul. 29, 2010, 11:33 AM
Then my mechanic tells me the Cummins is a good engine but Dodge cannot build a tough body - ball joints, etc. need replacing,,,,,,

Does any truck outlast its warranty by many years?

My 1999 Chevy K3500 crew cab dually gasser?!?!?!?! :)

Swapped it on my current 3500HD Duramax. In 18 months (and just over 18,000 miles) no problems.

Known issue: a leaking transmission line. Usually starts about 25,000-30,000 miles. Low cost fix.

Lots of folks praise the Cummins, and I guess it's OK (I know a half dozen folks with them) but it's one noisy puppy and the rest of the truck is problematical. The 6.4L Ford was OK, but took a knowing maintenance hand and some routine maintenance requires the body to be removed from the chassis (some great design engineering there, eh?). Also, Ford is now on its fourth engine (the Scorpion) in less than 10 years. Lots of folks buy them, but lots of folks bought Edsels and Yugos, too. :lol:

The Duramax is now in the Fifth Generation and is a mature design with few "surprises." The Allison tranny is second to none (even Dodge and Ford people say that). Body quality is at least good accross the board.

Lots of emotion is involved with truck purchases, but a rational analysis points to the Chevy/GMC offering as the most value for the dollar (at least through 2010; the 2011 models have the urea system and jury is out on that for now).

G.

Foxtrot's
Jul. 30, 2010, 01:38 PM
Any suggestions where one starts tracking down litigation, compensation for these lemons? I'm not keen to do the work for my son, but he might take it up if there was a gleam of hope.

Guilherme
Jul. 30, 2010, 02:37 PM
Any suggestions where one starts tracking down litigation, compensation for these lemons? I'm not keen to do the work for my son, but he might take it up if there was a gleam of hope.

I suspect that Google is your friend, here. Or his buddy, Bing.

G.

CatOnLap
Jul. 30, 2010, 04:57 PM
there have been so many threads on this particular truck. And every mechanic says something different.

We've put about 100,000 miles on our late model year 2005 F350 with the 6L turbo deisel, with not a single major problem. The mechanics we talked to said the years 2003-mid 2005 were bad, but by late 2005 most of the glitches were ironed out. Seems to have worked for us. Nicest, most reliable, most powerful truck I have ever owned- and I've owned a half dozen or more. Plus, it gets better fuel mileage pulling a loaded 3H GN than my last 150 did with no load on. It gets about 15-18 mpg hauling.

Plus, because of the spotty rep, we got ours cheep cheep, so much so that its Kelly Bluebook value is still more than we paid for it 3 years ago.

scheherazadetbmare
Jul. 30, 2010, 05:05 PM

Yes, google, and google stateside also. Plus consumer group sites. If the 6.0 is bad, there will be litigation and your son just has to tag along on a class action suit, he doesn't have to be the lead person. It's cheaper, easier, and the shark lawyers who are class action lawyers, get an experienced one, get their fees out of those multi-million dollar settlements. (I have a friend who got a big verdict as the lawyer against the Ford explorer and tyre rollovers way back when.)

So google and bing, and your son just signs up, might have t o pay a small fee, but not the thousands he'd have to pay if he was the only plaintiff, and then he waits for Ford to pay up. He needs to find a suit to join before they settle so he can participate.

Meanwhile, the 7.3 just keeps going and going and going. Wish your son had gotten the F350 7.3 liter.

scheherazadetbmare
Jul. 30, 2010, 05:09 PM
Just googling I saw one proposed class action lawsuit out of South Carolina on highbeams.com or highbeam.com. Oh wait, my new computer bings.
Make sure that's not old John Edwards, LOL, he's from up around there in Spartanburg. (hmmm wait he used to be a good plaintiff's lawyer before he found Rielle Druck.)
So there are suits out there, class actions, so get your son signed up on one.
You should ask the lawyers if they have handled class action suits before this. If they did and won, they will have the money to maintain the suit and then get a fee at the end of litigation.

Foxtrot's
Jul. 30, 2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks for bothering - we'll see what we can come up with.

Foxtrot's
Jul. 30, 2010, 08:28 PM
I've actually got a class action suite going with Air Canada - because they took away all our air miles without warning us. Don't expect anything, but just for the heck of it, I signed on.....will post results in a few years!!!

mvp
Jul. 31, 2010, 10:17 AM
Has anyone successfully cured their 6.0L problems?

If so, what did you do/spend?

Does the cure include lots more than a EGR replacement?

Does the "bullet-proofing"-- aka fixing what Ford should have for about $8K-- just have to happen once such that you're back to a diesel engine that will live for 400K as God intended? Or does the cured 6.0L merely go into remission with all that work and will need continued attention and/or have a shorter lifespan?

Let's take the worst-case scenario-- a 2003.5 to 2005 version.

Sorry to get all technical here. If I could wade through and understand the more detailed conversations the Dedicated Dieselers were having on their forums, I'd go there.

Thanks.

Shelbylou
Jul. 31, 2010, 09:09 PM
I would stay away from anything but an in-line 6 engine, there are a ton of issues with the international engines (I work at an internatinal dealer) in the big rigs and smaller trucks.

So if Ford is still using and international engine, be careful.

You are much better of if you can find an older truck without all the new emissions, thats causing a bunch of issues.

mvp
Aug. 1, 2010, 10:43 AM
As Truck Research continues, I acquired an answer to my question about curing 6.0Ls' congenital defects and some anecdotal stuff I'd mention.

Official Diesel Mechanic says the 6.0Ls do worst when not used primarily as tow vehicles. It's the driving around town, looking hot for the ladies that lets carbon build up in the EGR. If you don't take these trucks out for a good gallop under a load that clears out these "lungs" (or whatever), you'll recreate the problem again and again.

Perhaps the OP's son spent too much time chatting up the ladies while his chick-magnet idled and stuffed carbon into places it didn't belong? Many EGR failure stories floating around on the net involve periods of idling. Maybe they also come from people who don't haul enough and don't realize it?

Random But Nice Guy trying to sell me his 6.0L claims his truck has been ok because he used Ford parts and believes (privately) that many of the problems with the 6.0Ls come from people adding after-market stuff.

Of course, Researching Friend Who Owns a 6.0L with 60K miles thinks non-Ford EGRs are better. He has yet to actually deal with this problem yet, however.

And back to Official Diesel Mechanic who is Bigotted Against All Fords 6.0L And Later: The really modern ones get horrific fuel milage. Single digits, apparently. I have mentioned this elsewhere. But the OP's son might want to know this going in should Ford try to sell him a brand new one for 12K off.

Foxtrot's
Aug. 1, 2010, 12:46 PM
This is the OP here, and my son may be guilty as charged regarding chatting up the ladies - but he has a large boat to pull (also a chick magnet :) ) and uses it a lot to haul up the mountains so feels he needs a diesel for the mileage and power. He's out of Fords, though from now on. He also uses it for work travelling on the freeway; I think it gets to work quite hard. We are anther die-hard Ford family (that is, we were - Ford is shooting itself in the foot.)

CatOnLap
Aug. 1, 2010, 12:55 PM
well, its a good thing Mercedes doesn't sell too many trucks on this side of the pond. I just replaced the EGR in my diesel Mercedes product ( car) for the third time in less than 60,000 miles- the first two were done on warranty- the third was just done. And I am certainly not using it as a chick magnet...

And I don't blame you for not wanting another Ford after your experience- I will NEVER buy another Mercedes product- have put close to $10,000 in repairs into it in a single year since it went off warranty.