View Full Version : OMG, the farm appraised!!!

Jul. 27, 2010, 10:17 PM
The little 5 acre farmette we have under contract - it appraised!! Inspections are all done, financing is secured, and closing is at the end of August.

5 acres with house, barn, covered arena, and random outbuildings.

I am totally freaking out.

Jul. 27, 2010, 10:22 PM
Awesome, thats a dang miracle in this market! Congrats!!!

Are you planning on starting a business or just want your horses at home?

Jul. 27, 2010, 10:53 PM
HUGE congrats!
And a covered arena??? You lucky lady you!
Any farm photos we can drool over?

Jul. 27, 2010, 10:58 PM
Congrats! I'm envious of the existing barn and arena, we moved to 20 acres in the country in February and the horse is still boarded...

Jul. 28, 2010, 02:58 AM

It is a cute little place - needs some work, there haven't been horses there in a while. But it is laid out nicely. I can't believe it looks like we're actually going to get it!!! :o

No real business, just horses at home. Will be breeding a few at some point, but this is a hobby for me.

The covered arena is a big plus - it isn't a huge one, but I can extend the arena out the short side and make a good sized ring out of it. I'm amazed we found a place with a covered arena in our price range at all, frankly.

wsmoak, you can be jealous of the arena, but I will be jealous of your 20 acres, lol.

Jul. 28, 2010, 03:02 AM
That is sooo cute !!!!
Where is it ? I am in Snohomish County.
Congratulations !

Jul. 28, 2010, 03:35 AM
Elfe - it is in Snohomish as well - Stanwood. :)

Jul. 28, 2010, 04:49 AM
It's adorable!

BUT, I see a huge problem. :uhoh: It looks like you have at least 8 stalls. :eek::eek: That is NOT a good thing. The number of horses always expands to the number of stalls available plus 1. :yes::yes: Oh sure, you SAY you'll use those extra stalls for hay storage and such.....:winkgrin::winkgrin::winkgrin:

Jul. 28, 2010, 04:53 AM
Congrats.....lovely place!

Jul. 28, 2010, 05:07 AM
Thanks all - I am really excited.

Shakey, 8 stalls on the arena alone - the main barn had the stalls stripped out, so it is empty, but it is a 36x60 building.. :no: Plus there's a 20x50 run-in shed...

luckily 2 of the stalls on the arena will be turned into tack/storage (permanently converted, lol), and since the stalls are 10x10, I'm thinking about making the remaining 6 convertible into 3 big stalls... then I really just want to add 5 stalls 12x12 stalls (that are convertible into foaling stalls) in the main barn, and use the other side for wash rack/feed room/office...

:sigh: That's still a lot more stalls than I currently have horses.

Jul. 28, 2010, 06:14 AM
it looks like a very cute place :)
you must post pics when you are done "remodeling" the barn

Jul. 28, 2010, 08:01 AM
:D Congrats!
And you are such a horseperson - barn featured in all 3 pics, house (which looks very nice!) just "happens" to be in one.

It looks to be in pretty good shape too. I wish my gravel drives - which are only 6yo - were in such good shape.

And now the fun begins!
Keep us posted on your progress :yes:

Jul. 28, 2010, 09:38 AM
Okay, that's just the cutest darned farm ever! :D
Wicked cool looking house too, very unique.
Big congrats to you! Can't wait to hear about it all after you move in. And maybe see more interior and paddock photos then? (hint hint)
I don't know about anyone else but I have such fun when people post farm and barn photos. It's better than Home & Garden, LOL!
And umm...you will end up filling all extra stalls. Nature abhors a vacuum and Fate Abhors An Empty Stall. :winkgrin:
I refused to finish all 4 of the stalls in my barn when we built it for that very reason! If you build them, they will come and all that. And boy howdy was that true! We hadn't even gotten the barn up yet and I was getting calls and drive ins of people either wanting to board or wanting to give away a horse. :eek:
Once you get your own place and the word gets out...everyone and their cousin calls you to offer you a free horse. It's like the horse farm version of the Watchtower folks...people knocking on your door and instead of giving you a pamphlet they try to give you a horse! :lol:

Jul. 28, 2010, 09:40 AM
Major Congrats!!!! As was said, that's a miracle in this economy to have it all go as smoothly as it did. YAY!!

Zu Zu
Jul. 28, 2010, 09:51 AM

Jul. 28, 2010, 10:32 AM
What a lovely place! I'm jealous. :yes:

Jul. 28, 2010, 11:48 AM
Congrats on the little farm! It's adorable. I'm jealous too! :)

Jul. 28, 2010, 02:35 PM
Oh cute! Congrats! And I am here to tell you that you don't have to have a real barn for people to drive up and offer you free horses. I worry about one guy, I keep expecting to find a horse tied up at the end of my driveway.

Jul. 28, 2010, 02:58 PM
Lol - I already have people at my trainers barn trying to convince me that I want their old horses. Um...no. I really don't. As hard as it is to believe, don't want to take any older/unsound horses, nor do I want to take any mares to foal out. I find it kinda :o that they are trying to send me horses when I have not even closed on this place. Sorry guys, but I have a full time job and am adding a commute - no, I don't want your horses.

We will be adding one to the herd at some point so my husband can ride with me without us having to leave only one sad horse at home. But that horse will be a productive, useful citizen, not a retired/unsound horse, lol.

The place is basically unfenced, so there are no paddocks to take pics of yet. I will document the whole process.

And yes, when I first looked at this place, after wandering around for a half an hour, my husband quietly asked "shouldn't we go look inside the house?" Oh yeah. Right. There's a house, lol. I just mentally checked it off the way most people would check off a garden shed "yep, it has one, and it isn't falling down. Good." Lol!

Jul. 28, 2010, 03:16 PM
when we bought our place I wanted way more property (like 15+ acres.) now after living with our 8 for five years wow glad I didn't get it!! even 8 is too, too much ...

so funny but same here, when we were looking we'd pull up to someplace to see I'd jump out of the car and head right to the barn / pasture. I mean if it was totally unsuitable we'd be back on the road anyway, right? who cares what the house looks like??

drove the Realtor NUTS. but ... she had no clue. the house was ONLY important if the barn, pasture and property passed muster NOT the other way around! :D

Jul. 28, 2010, 04:01 PM
Webmistress - I deliberately chose a horse person for a Realtor. She "gets it", which I felt was important, lol.

Jul. 28, 2010, 04:43 PM
Major Congrats!!!! As was said, that's a miracle in this economy to have it all go as smoothly as it did. YAY!!

Tle, I was watching your saga like a hawk - this was the third place we tried to buy, and I'm glad the other two didn't work out - I like this one better. :) I was so worried it wasn't going to appraise.

Are you all moved into your new place yet? Exciting!

I have to start packing. And making "to do" lists. God, this is going to be so much work. I've kept horses at home before, but I have never actually had my own farm. We are going to be paying two mortgages until the current house sells, so funds will be limited for a while - trying to come up with inexpensive "short term" solutions that don't interfere with the long term plans in a significant way is difficult.

I am going to be bouncing off walls (and paranoid it will somehow fall through) until closing. Then I will be drowning in work, lol.

Jul. 29, 2010, 09:39 AM
I've never owned my own but have rented. My favorite part is puttering in the barn with tools - hand tools, power tools, putting up hooks for rakes, bridles, equipment, organizing the tools, having a place for every tool, putting away the tools, going to the neat spot and getting a tool to use, fixing up the buildings, making a wash stall, etc. Hours of fun for me. Enjoy!:winkgrin:

Jul. 29, 2010, 09:52 AM
Winged Panda...pack away! I've moved a handful of times and always start packing the minute the closing date is set. I pack darned near everything right away, LOL!

Go buy disposable plates, utensils and cups now and pack up your dinnerware. And get easy-hat groceries and pack up the cookware and use the microwave instead. You'll be too busy to cook or be washing dishes anyways and those are a pita to wrap and pack.

Everything off the walls and all knick knacks. All off season clothes packed. I've always found it easiest to pick a room and finish packing absolutely everything not essential in it in one or two days and then stack the boxes and start on the next room. Makes unpacking much easier too later on. And doing a room at a time means you're not wandering around room to room and never feel like you're getting nothing done.

If it's in the budget, instead of hiring a moving company or moving truck try renting one of those Pods type storage things and have it set outside soon. You can pack rooms and then put the boxes right in there and even start moving out some furniture. You won't be surrounded by boxes in the house and later on they'll drop that at the new place and that gives you as much time as you want to rent it to unpack. :yes:

Jul. 29, 2010, 10:44 AM
Wow! That is some set up. Congratulations! I am so jealous of all the stalls and the covered arena. I bought my place with no barn or arena and it has been slow going getting everything set up. Your place looks turnkey.

I had a horsey realtor and I was buying from long distance. the realtor would send me photos of the land and any barn or outbuilding and fencing. The house photos were in the listing, so she didn't bother with those. I needed her to interpret listings that listed "barn" or "bring your horses!" since often "barn" meant some wooden structure, and "bring your horses" meant it was more than .5 acres and not in the city limits.

Looks like you found a gem. Enjoy!

Jul. 29, 2010, 12:01 PM
Congrats! How exciting! My boyfriend has a 25 acre farm under contract right now. I am looking forward to all the work, but it's also daunting. He is supposed to close in mid September. Until then, please keep us posted, I get so much inspiration and information from you guys!

Jul. 29, 2010, 07:19 PM
Congrats!!! That place is too cute! Love the house and the barn and the outbuildings and the fencing and the everything! It appears to be very neat and tidy, so although you think it needs some work, it already looks great! Keep us updated with photos.

Jul. 29, 2010, 08:55 PM
Thanks guys - I am planning out the packing process, or trying to.

Flash, there is only about 50 feet of that fencing, and it is cheap vinyl - it is coming out. The whole place needs to be fenced, and there's lots of little stuff - the arena roof leaks, the roof on the main barn needs to be re-attached (they used nails, which are backing out), there's electrical work to be done on all the outbuildings, the stalls off the arena need to be gutted on the inside, gravel/footing needs to go into the stalls, the stall door sliders are a mess, there is no water to the barns (there used to be a well, but it was all disconnected when the house was moved onto city water), the arena has blackberries growing in part of it and needs new footing, there are a couple downed trees up against the arena, the arena needs drainage put in and one corner post of it is sinking and needs to be fixed - the list goes on and on.

But it will be my mess, dang it. :yes:

Jul. 30, 2010, 06:18 AM
Congrats!!! We just closed on our home and I know the stresses of appraisals, inspections. It's nerve-wracking. Love your new property! Good luck with it!! :D

JackSprats Mom
Aug. 2, 2010, 09:45 PM
Wingedpanda~! GRATS!!

LOL I'm looking at buying 10 acres in Arlington all being well :)

Don't recognise yours (which as I've been looking at horse properties for months now I'm surprised about). Looks very cute though!

Aug. 3, 2010, 03:45 AM
JackSprats Mom - we will almost be neighbors! Cool! Which place in Arlington? Are you under contract, or just eyeballing a place? Pm me if you don't want to post until it is a done deal - I sure didn't. ;)

I've been farm hunting since April - so I bet we know all the same ones, lol. I almost missed this place too, it showed up once on craigslist and I pounced. It was on the market for 2 months, so I was also surprised I hadn't seen it - but happy I noticed it when it showed up!

We are still on track to close at the end of the month - the waiting is killing me!!!

Aug. 3, 2010, 10:45 AM
Ohhh WingedPanda..... I have pictures for you. :D I hope DH knows about what you will be adding to the farmette ;)

Aug. 3, 2010, 02:22 PM
Chicken pictures? Gimme!!

Yeah, he knows, lol. As long as he doesn't have to clean coops, he will let me do what I want. I found the most hilarious coop for sale on craislist - it looks like a weird little house, complete with fenced/roofed area, curtains, screen door, and sign that declares it the "rusty roo inn" - I will see if I can find it again. It is a complete eyesore, but hilarious and kinda cute. He made sad mewling noises when I showed it to him, lol.

Edited to add link: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/grd/1876740678.html

Aug. 3, 2010, 08:36 PM
So when is the COTH barn warming? We can bring gloves and help out with a project or two... as well as a few pot luck dishes and some libations :).

Aug. 3, 2010, 09:55 PM
Oh, we'll be neighbors! What a great spot and location!

JackSprats Mom - where in Arlington? We're over off the Sill Rd north of Lakewood.

Aug. 4, 2010, 01:03 AM
Barn warming - ooh, good idea. I *will* have an awful lot of fencing to put up...*ponders* lol

Uh-oh Urban. Now I'm reading your blog. You have done a lot of things I am interested in doing. I might have questions for you. :)

Aug. 4, 2010, 12:31 PM
MistyBlue's packing regime is wonderful. If only we'd have had that much time. Loan officer called us Tuesday afternoon to tell us we'd be closing Wednesday evening. We'd had so many setbacks to that point that we hadn't packed much of anything since February!

We had looked into PODS for the Feb move, but they were EXPENSIVE in comparison. $300 IIRC per month for a 8 or 10' wide x 16' long POD stored at YOUR location (not theirs). They'd drop it off and move it somewhere, but not store it. Honestly, if you have the help in terms of friends, $300 buys a LOT of pizza and beer!

WP -- yes, we've been moved in for 2 weeks now. It's HEAVEN!! Definitely still unpacking though and will be for a while. Having a blast "reclaiming" areas that we had to declutter, clean or want to change. I'm putting off horses til 2012 though since we have to prepare for being able to pick up the optional land -- that is priority #1 without a doubt and as much as I'm anxious to have horses again, they do tend to suck cash at the most inopportune times and I'd cry if we had to spend $$ on a vet visit and weren't able to get the land as a result.

As for To Do lists... I recommend pencil or dry erase boards... ours have been modified, added to and updated almost daily. :)

Again... HUGE congrats!

Aug. 4, 2010, 03:47 PM
Tle, your plan definitely makes sense. :D

We are using shared google docs for our to do lists - it is free, and allows us to share the docs so we can both update on the fly - but I am very technology-oriented, lol.

I'm glad your place worked out for you - and wow, with the optional land, you are gonna have a Big Farm. I wouldn't be able to take care of that much land, lol. 5 acres will be enough of a challenge for now. :)

Hoping to be able to get the fencing and other stuff that needs doing completed quickly so we can move the horses home by the end of october - don't know how realistic that is, but we're sure gonna try!!