PDA

View Full Version : pot belly pig owners?

dwbonfire87
Jul. 27, 2010, 05:14 PM
Im considering getting a pot belly pig but i want to do my research before I do so. I've never had one, so I have a few questions to those that have/do.
Would one be happy alone, without other pigs?
Is it better to get a male or female for a pet?
What do yours eat?
What are thier living situations, small shelter, coop type enclosure with a pen?
Im thinking of getting a couple chickens, could they share a coop and pen together?
Are they messy, like regular pigs and make mud and muck?
Any feedback, positive or negative about them would be a help!:)
I have 2 dogs, and 5 horses, and barn cats, so there is plenty of animal interaction here.

fleur de duc
Jul. 27, 2010, 05:28 PM
First off ..... you just made my day :)

I miss my piggy dearly and thank you for making me think of him again!

I had never had one before either. And really jumped into it totally blind. As in, came home from the auction at which I was forbidden to come home with anything with a pulse with a 4week old male potbelly :)

1. Mine did just fine alone. He was out with my 2 horses though and wandered the farm freely during the day. He also loved my corgi.

2. If I were to do it again, Id probably go for a female. Mine was a male and seemed to like to mount everything and anything ... your leg, the ponies leg, the wheelbarrow:uhoh:

3. He ate pig food ... and everything else I gave him. a favorite was oatmeal, yogurt, and fruitloops

4. Mine had a stall to sleep in at night, but ran free during the day. I tried to pen him in at first but great underestimated what it took to keep him in. I was no prepared in the least for him so I made do.

5. Not sure about with chickens, I never had them at that farm.

6. He really didnt make a mess. He was super clean actually. He would roll in mud but I made it for him. They use it to stay cool and he was adorable rolling in it.

Overall I would do it again in a heartbeat! I loved my little Steven. I wish I could have kept him:cry: Good luck on your pig search! You'll love them!

Go Fish
Jul. 27, 2010, 05:54 PM
Im considering getting a pot belly pig but i want to do my research before I do so. I've never had one, so I have a few questions to those that have/do.
Would one be happy alone, without other pigs?

Yes, mine does fine with no other pigs.

Is it better to get a male or female for a pet?

If I had it to do over, I'd get a female. However, mine is an adoptee, so I didn't really have a choice.

What do yours eat?

I'm assuming pig food. However, mine really doesn't eat much pig food. He's too busy raiding the garden, eating the horse's food, the goat food, the chicken scratch, and anything else he can get his snout on. He also roots all day in the field with the horses. I occasionally feed him table scraps. You really have to watch their weight. They can put of fat faster than anything I've ever seen, with the exception of my Corgis.

What are thier living situations, small shelter, coop type enclosure with a pen?

When I get really annoyed with mine, I lock him in a spare stall. Otherwise, he lives outside all the time. He doesn't wander and sticks around the other livestock. They are really good at escaping everything. They will also try and come in the house.

Im thinking of getting a couple chickens, could they share a coop and pen together?

Mine is with the chickens a lot because he's always trying to steal their food.

Are they messy, like regular pigs and make mud and muck?

I suppose if you had them confined in a pen and it rains a lot, then yes. Mine doesn't seem to like to root around and make a mess like regular pigs. I wouldn't call mine messy, no.

Any feedback, positive or negative about them would be a help!:)
I have 2 dogs, and 5 horses, and barn cats, so there is plenty of animal interaction here.

Mine's a PITA, but he is fun to have around. Pigs, in general, are smart, opinionated, stubborn, loud and bossy. If you can deal with that, great. And, they may be small, but they still weigh a lot. Try catching one sometime when you really HAVE to. Good luck with that! :lol:

goodhors
Jul. 27, 2010, 06:59 PM
4-H friends have one, he is getting pretty old now, 12yrs? I watched them with him for a couple years, and it was "interesting". Not what I could tolerate, but they love him a lot and he lives at THEIR house not mine! He is housebroke, goes outside. They have a couch for him to lay on when in the house and food bowls. He does not get stalled in the barn often. He is on a regulated diet of small pig chow, keeps him trim, not fat. He also grazes out with the horses or in the yard, gets veggie scraps. I think he makes some small holes rooting around, but not a wallow like a farm hog does. He has always been an "only" pig, though he does have to share people with a couple dogs.

He is smaller, maybe 2ft long, stands about 15-18 tall, not sure of weight but they don't struggle picking him up. He walks on a leash and harness when he attended the horse shows. Hops right in the car for rides. LIKES to go for car rides.

In his care, he needs to get his teeth done by the vet at least a couple times a year. Hog teeth are self-sharpening, so it only takes a little time and they can be razor sharp again. So any nibbles will really cause a bad bite. This one pulls pant legs now and then, sharp teeth just slice cloth or skin wide open! Pig does NOT like getting teeth done, gets noisy and struggles. He needs a Rabies shot, annual I think, in case he should bite someone. Bites have happened to his "family" people. It was an accident I was assured, teeth should have been trimmed sooner, but still made a nasty wound. Seems like he rolls over and they just rasp off his hooves with a horse rasp.

We didn't see piggy and family much recently, since kid is out of 4-H and Fair now has a Terminal Pig Show. Any pig unloaded on the grounds during Fair MUST be sent to slaughter, State law comes into play. They did drive thru to watch a horse workout night, pig stayed in truck.

I am not a pig person, could not tolerate one in the house, let alone on the furniture!! I refuse to struggle with pig over TV snacks! Pigs biting has always been a big issue to me, with my Grandfather warning us all the time about the (various animals) boar who could bite when riled and you never knew what would rile him! They scared us to stay out of the pig pens and fields with pig biting stories! Worked for me!!

You might want to call your local large animal Vet, see if there are other issues about pigs you should know, other shots. Pigs are more carefully monitored because pig problems could affect farm income, the vast quantities of pigs on farms. Gov't. classified under Livestock, with the good and bad.

I would castrate any male animal, no reason to leave entire as a pet. Boars are known for being tempermental in many instances, like stallions. Not worth the chance of an argument with pig. Better to have them gelded for more-even attitude and no incidents with hormones in them.

Sparky
Jul. 27, 2010, 07:15 PM
We got one last year--a micro mini teacup piglet. Yeah right :lol: He stayed mini for about a month, now he's a year old and 75 pounds of lovable ham. Itty Bitty Bobby has the run of the farm and chooses to stay out most of the day in the paddocks with the horses--he has his favorites. He loves dandelions, cucumbers and peaches as well as his pig chow. He's in a stall at night, but the door is open in case he gets the nighttime munchies. He's quite clean, potties in the corner of his stall, and loves to be brushed and have conditioner sprayed on, but no baths thank you very much!
We have lots of training horses that come in for a month or more at a time, and not one has ever taken a dislike to Bob. The cats and dogs play with him and he even learned a few tricks last winter, but he seems to have either forgotten them or decided they were beneath his dignity to perform anymore. Here he is learning to sit for a treat:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30846013&l=e4041ed173&id=1491799817

horsefaerie
Jul. 27, 2010, 07:27 PM
I had a stray pot belly wild pig saunter up my driveway one night. THe horses went nuts and I went to investigate. He weighed about 30 lbs. I chased him down the driveway with a broom as I knew nothing about pigs!

He came back every morning for a few days and I told him he could stay if he didn't get into any trouble. He stayed.

He made me laugh for thirteen years. He taught me a lot.

He did not stray and stayed in a stall by himself or with a horse. His choice. He patrolled the property and grazed with the horses eating the flies that flew around their legs. He ate horse food until he grew into old age and then he ate mini pig elder. He liked certain things (pound cake, chocolate chip cookies and strawberries) and knew exactly when garden produce was ready. Had to limit his goodies.

I have chickens and he left them alone except for their cracked corn. Chickens are free range as was the pig.

Had a dog who tried to encourage him to play but the Puggsly would just smile and wag his tail. He was very tolerant of the dog's antics.

He interacted very little with the cats.

He would drag a shavings bag to a desired location and empty it for a new bed if he felt circumstances warranted it. He learned to wear a dog blanket in later years when the cold started to get to him altho he was never happy about getting it on. He would try to raid feed buckets at times and as a rule the horses would let him. One time, however, he raided the stallions bucket and believe me "Pigs can fly"!

You need a vet who is experienced with pigs. YOU may be the one to give shots when necessary and their hide is very tough. I always wore running shoes for that.

He made a wallow by the pond for his soaking pleasure but did not cause any other damage.

He was a great watch pig but would usually warm up to friends quickly.

Puggsly had tusks which could get caught in things when they got long. They needed to be chipped off from time to time but he usually did this himself. His feet were for the most part self trimming. I groomed him with a stiff horse brush and oiled his skin when he shed and sloughed.

The other animals seemed to enjoy his company. New horses would need a day or two to adjust. He would actively charm a newcomer until they relaxed.

One time he got a tusk caught in a fence and the horses stayed with him while I released him, very concerned for his welfare.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with him. He was a very happy spirit altho would bellow if he thought I was doing things he was not pleased with. He also ran a wild sow off once, to my surprise. I thought he might have liked female company. Guess not.

I am glad he insisted on staying. Who knew?

You just might enjoy a pig!

lcw579
Jul. 27, 2010, 08:25 PM
We got one last year--a micro mini teacup piglet. Yeah right :lol: He stayed mini for about a month, now he's a year old and 75 pounds of lovable ham. Itty Bitty Bobby has the run of the farm and chooses to stay out most of the day in the paddocks with the horses--he has his favorites. He loves dandelions, cucumbers and peaches as well as his pig chow. He's in a stall at night, but the door is open in case he gets the nighttime munchies. He's quite clean, potties in the corner of his stall, and loves to be brushed and have conditioner sprayed on, but no baths thank you very much!
We have lots of training horses that come in for a month or more at a time, and not one has ever taken a dislike to Bob. The cats and dogs play with him and he even learned a few tricks last winter, but he seems to have either forgotten them or decided they were beneath his dignity to perform anymore. Here he is learning to sit for a treat:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30846013&l=e4041ed173&id=1491799817

What a cute pig.

Timely thread - my sister and I were just discussing whether she needed a pig around the property or not..... After reading this I think she does!

walktrot
Jul. 28, 2010, 02:25 PM
We are on pig #2 at the barn where I board. He has this life he lives and doesn't require a lot of human intervention. Occasionally a new horse will react to him, but by and large the horses don't pay much attention to him. Nor do the chickens or the dogs.

He likes dog food, so he gets a bit of that if he comes into the barn. Otherwise he searches out what he wants. He will eat good hay. He lives in the little barn now, as he was thrown out of the corner of the indoor where he built himself a nest next to some round bales. There is a small wooded section behind the main barn, and he seems to spend a lot of time in there in the summer.

The last time the horse dentist was out he did trim the tusks. It was not going well at first in the aisleway, so we herded him into the bathroom. We heard a bunch of squealing, and the dentist came out with the ends of the tusks. His feet seem to be self trimming, which is good because our vet doesn't do pig maintenance.

Is he clean? Yes, and he was neutered when he was little.

asb_own_me
Jul. 28, 2010, 06:42 PM
Nothing to add - no experience anyway - but I would LOVE to have one. I was told that they are really loud, but Oreo who lives at the training barn has never made a peep besides snorting/oinking a little. Mostly because he's excited that someone is giving him a cookie or scratching his belly.

StGermain
Jul. 28, 2010, 10:26 PM
We had a stray the came to live at the barn where I used to board. the owner picked him up a few times then finally said "if you don't want him I'll haul him off" :eek: which didn't sound good for Porkchop. Most people fed him a little horsefeed, but I'd buy him pig chow.

it was funny once when some stray dogs came on the property and started to chase Porkchop. The horses divided into two groups - one herded Porkchop up against a round bale and surrounded him, protecting him. The other group took off after the dogs and ran them off.

The pig and one mare were extremely close. Each would go crazy if they couldn't reach the other. Porkchop never was quite the same after her owner died and she was sold. That being said, he knew some of the horses in a biblical sense, if you know what I mean. they'd be laying in the sun and Porkchop would mount them. It was very strange.

StG

DLee
Jul. 28, 2010, 10:39 PM
Did anyone see Jay Leno last night? The young actress playing Ramona was on and said all she wanted for her birthday was a baby pig. Jay surprised her with a tiny squealing bundle of piglet, she was just beside herself! It was really a great tv moment. :yes:

fivehorses
Jul. 29, 2010, 12:28 AM
St germain, that is one of the saddest stories I ever heard about the pig and the mare. How sad for both of them to be separated.
As I get older, I am firmly convinced that animals form very strong bonds and relationships, and that we are only beginning to understand and appreciate those emotional bonds.
Anyhow, poor mare and poor porkchop. Loved the part of the horses protecting porkchop from the dogs. Good horses.

alto
Jul. 29, 2010, 04:09 AM
Please get 2! they really do love piggy company - & pot bellied pigs range greatly in size so be prepared for that.

A Sanctuary for "Mini"-pigs (do check out their blog)
http://www.heartsonnoses.com/
- please rescue if you can: these guys get dumped when their owners realize they get b i g & most shelters either refuse to accept them or euthanize :cry:

Go Fish
Jul. 29, 2010, 01:41 PM
Please get 2! they really do love piggy company - & pot bellied pigs range greatly in size so be prepared for that.

A Sanctuary for "Mini"-pigs (do check out their blog)
http://www.heartsonnoses.com/
- please rescue if you can: these guys get dumped when their owners realize they get b i g & most shelters either refuse to accept them or euthanize :cry:

Whoa...I don't think I could handle two. One's bad enough!

Really, I love my guy. But he's a royal pain in the behind! :lol:

PRS
Jul. 30, 2010, 10:43 AM
17 years ago my husband came home from work and asked me if I wanted a pot bellied pig. I said NO WAY! He came home a few days later and asked me again....NO! The next time he came home he said that all the other people who were interested in the piggie wanted to know how much he weighed and did they make good eating :eek:. Soooooo.....I got a piggy. His previous owner had named him Harley B. Hogg. Harley wasn't even 1/2 grown and already weighed over 40lbs. He would mount anything...soccer balls, dogs (she didn't appreciate it) buckets...what ever he could find.....and he SMELLED really bad. Un-neutered males stink. I took him to the vet to have him neutered and he's been fine ever since. I thought he needed company and got a baby pig. I chose a female this time. He never did like her. She would go into heat and go wandering looking for companionship. She was followed home by another little male pig who promptly knocked her up. Sadly all 9 of the babies were still born. :(

The female pig lived in the house until she was big enough to stay outside. They are very smart and it's true that they are smarter than a dog. She housebroke easier than any dog I've ever had. She soon got too big though and went out to live with Harley. They had piggie condos....each had their own half of a piggie sized run in shelter. Deep enough that they could snuggle into the back of it to stay out of the wind and protected from the weather. I bed it with straw. Piggies are naturally very clean and will not poop where they eat if they can help it. They appreciate a piggie sized pool of water when the weather is really hot but their skin should be protected from the the sun as they will sunburn. Mine like a good old fashioned mud wallow too.

I feed mine pig food formulated for mini pigs in addition to a little bit of dog kibble and fresh fruit and veggies. He LOVES corn on the cob, strawberries, spinnich and corn chips. He also grazes on the grass and enjoys gorging himself on pecans when they are falling from the trees. I only have him tusked if they start growing into his cheeks, which has only been twice in 17 years. I have a pair of farrier shears that are used for trimming goat feet that we use to trim pig hooves. Takes three people though. Two to hold him on his back and one to trim the hooves. Harley is 17 years old now and getting a little gimpy, sadly, the female pig passed away a couple of years ago. Harley spends his days in his piggie condo, lolling in his pool or hanging out with the chickens.

CHS
Jul. 30, 2010, 10:10 PM
I have two Crystal and Grant. If you get a male make sure he was neutered as a youngster. They are horney little things and will hump anything around anytime. I love mine. They have free run of the place. They eat pot belly pig food I get from the feed store plus fruits and veggies for snacks. They love to swim in their tommy turtle pool. They love the dogs, horses, goats, chickens, turkeys, peacocks. They are the friendliest little buggers. I just love them to pieces. They are soooooo easy to train. Way smarter than any other animal I've ever had. They always come when called too.

fivehorses
Jul. 31, 2010, 09:49 AM
Not trying to sidetrack the thread, but anyone have any experience with full sized pigs, like yorkshire's, etc
tia

starrunner
Aug. 1, 2010, 07:02 PM
One of the vet clinics I worked at does quite a few potbellies including a rescue that had about 70 of them.

They can get very attached to their families and don't like to be shuffled around.

We always did tusks and feet of the rescue potbellies. The major problem with the rescue potbellies was lameness and vision issues and being majorly overweight from knowledgeable folks owning them previously. Overfeeding a piggie can cause major damage. :(

They are super clean and love to have enrichment. Straw is a great favorite.

Horses can get a little freaked out, but usually get over it. One TWH gelding I knew never did get over his pig phobia, so he left the barn that had a pair of potbellies.

Best to get them spayed or neutered.

Most of them I know eat a commercial pig chow plus whatever fresh fruits/veggies, etc is around. Just don't overfeed.

No idea on the pigs + chickens. I've seen lots of pigs + dogs, pigs + cows and pigs + horses, but no pigs and chickens yet.

skip916
Aug. 3, 2010, 10:09 AM
Bocephus was my pot bellied pig growing up. We adopted him from a petting zoo that had gotten a female who they didn't realize was pregnant! We had him neutered young so he never did any 'manly' pig behaviors. He was an inside/outside pig.

He was raised in our house in the suburbs and I litter box trained him- which took only two days! They are SO very smart! He slept in a crate at night or occasionally in bed with me or my brother when he was still a piglet. They are VERY clean animals and groom themselves a good bit. Since he was raised around a miniature poodle he adopted this sort of bark/snort combination which was hilarious so hear and see him and the poodle run to the door to greet visitors while "barking".

He was leash trained and walking him around the neighborhood kept his hooves trimmed well. He came when he was called and would stay in the yard when not leashed. He had a baby pool to wallow in outside in the garage and loved it on hot days. He often rooted around in the pinestraw and garden which my mom didn't like, but she taught him not to go in the flower garden and he obliged. He ate pig food, dog food, and kitchen scraps and wasn't overweight mostly because he went on walks and ran up and down the stairs to our bedrooms daily. He was very sweet and cuddly and his only dislikes were being lifted into the car (they can scream/squeal VERY loudly) and being squirted with the water hose or taking showers.

He went with me to the barn sometimes and loved to inspect my horses stall and got along with all the barn cats and horses. He would lay in the shavings pile while I rode. They are very trainable and funny and most love belly rubs! He was really almost easier to train than my poodle and understood a good amount of commands and words- especially "treat"! I will definitely have another one someday!

TwiggythePiggy
Dec. 26, 2011, 01:25 PM
All my life I have wanted a pot bellied pig friend to love. After about 3 years of constant begging my mom finally brought home the best Christmas present ever, A female 2 and 1/2 month old pot bellied pig!!:D We adopted her last Saturday the 17th from a woman named Debbie around St. Louis. Debbie had purchased several baby pot bellied pigs for a photo shoot she was doing for a brand of pig chow. Since our little girl was a piggy model we were looking for model names. One of my moms friends suggested "Twiggy" because she was the model who "made thin in". I instantly fell in love with the name. Twiggy Piggy or Twigs for short. She lives in my bedroom and quickly excepted it as hers.
We put a welping box in as her area. For a bed we put a dog cage in the welping box and put many blankets inside. Next to her cage we put down a potty tray with woodchips in it. We quickly switched from woodchips to pee-pads (because TP decided to eat the woodchips). She eats Pot Bellied Pig food for 4 months to adult. (the store was out of the young pig chow) She likes to mix water with her food and make 'Pig Chow Soup'.
She has a silly personality and likes to run around and scratch herself on anything and everything. She even gives piggy kisses! :lol: We are working on potty training her and then we will begin to harness train her.
A few days ago we purchased a littletike sleeping bag to give to Twiggy. Twiggy absolutely loved it! We would leave it partually zipped for her to cuddle in. She would go all the way inside and just stick her nose out. It was the cutest thing! :)

Around the time we got the sleeping bag we noticed little bumps all over Twiggy's body. At first we thought "oh they're just goosebumps." But then shortly after these bumps developed she became OBSESSED with scratching! I mean she scratches non stop!! We tried giving her a bath and removing the sleeping bag. This helped a little, but her bumps itch her so badly that she scratches so hard and so long that her skin breaks out and gets red or even bleeds. We lock her in her cage when she gets to scratching too hard. :(

:eek: WHAT DO WE DO? WILL SHE EVER STOP SCRATCHING? SHE'S HURTING HERSELF!!! Any helpful hints or tips would be greatly appreciated! :confused:

THANKS!

cloudyandcallie
Dec. 26, 2011, 02:30 PM
I don't own one. But a friend is a PBP rescuer and she told me years ago that they like to pair up with one buddy. So I guess you need 2 pigs.

My horse dentist Jason Cashin had one for 18 yrs. And my BO has one. When we moved there in the summer, Cloudy was fine as he'd been around ferals. Plus he thinks that all animals are cute and sweet. Hattie on the other hand, freaked and ran away and stressed for a few weeks.

Well Pugsly is crazy about Hattie, so he goes out with my 2 horses in the pasture. This morning he was lying in their hay. They have to eat around him. I'm waiting on his Bucas to come since then he'll be wearing a silver rug just like Hattie's rug. I guess Pugsly has paired up with Hattie Pattie.

ETA They get cold and shiver in the cold and rain. So your pig will need a shelter. And there's a website with pot bellied pig clothing.

And 3 hens moved in this summer. Pugsly gets along fine with Lola and Lucy and Laverne.

And years ago, Bennie Gentile who owned the Red Barn restaurant on St Simons Island had a pig, not a pot bellied pig, but a regular sized pig, who rode in the back of a truck to the beach with his employees. Arnold was treated like a dog. When he got full grown, he was put out to pasture with the horses and did not get to ride everywhere with them. At least he wasn't eaten. I used to see him when I went horse back riding on Mr. Gentile's horses on the island.

ETA Pugsly is intact and does not smell bad. He is very fond of the tractor tyres. I hope that means he won't be too friendly to Hattie, as she is Cloudy's mare in all manner of speaking.

nashfad
Dec. 26, 2011, 02:45 PM
Awwwwwwww, I bought 2 at an auction yrs ago. Named them Tootie and Natalie (was told they were females) then had to change names to Hank and Willie. They ran free on the farm and slept in the stall of one of my stallions. They did hump anything that was not moving, especially Matilda the dog. Poor thing, couldn't hardly lay down without them humping her. They provided lots of entertainment for the camp kids. They ate grain around the farm that the horses dropped. I gave them to a friend of mine yrs ago that kept them until they passed on.

Concetta
Jan. 24, 2013, 03:50 PM
She probably has mange...you treat it with Ivomec

SuckerForHorses
Jan. 25, 2013, 10:44 AM
Oh great...now I want a piggy!

SuckerForHorses
Jan. 25, 2013, 10:50 AM
Can someone explain HOW you can housetrain them?

I am thinking when our doggies aren't wtih us anymore, we will get a piggy for a housepet!

kari
Jan. 25, 2013, 12:17 PM
I have no experience with piggies, but my neighbor/dog groomer has two. Who live in her house. They have dog beds and snuggle with her on the couch. She has a male and a female, who are both fixed. They are adorable, and come over to greet me when I bring my dogs there to be groomed. I believe that she rescued both of them, the male is a couple of years older than the female. The male is much friendlier, he comes and snorts and squeals at me when i walk in the house, and makes happy noises when I scratch his head. She has house trained both of them, and she says that they are easier than dogs. They can be destructive if they get bored. I would like one, but hubby has drawn the line with piggies. :)

Seal Harbor
Jan. 25, 2013, 12:33 PM
Pigs have a tough time regulating their body temperature, they do not sweat. Hence having a mud wallow, they would prefer a pool of some sort with clean water to help keep them cool. They need to be kept warm in the winter.

They are extremely clean animals, and smarter than dogs. It will be easier to house break a pig than a dog.

akstaj
Jan. 25, 2013, 12:42 PM
I agree with what everyone has said, they can be a PIA, and are LOUD, they can throw a fit like no other, but I love mine, she sleeps in a crate at night and when we are gone. She doesn't root too much although this fall she was helping the dogs dig up moles. They have to be fixed. Mine when into heat at 3 months and I thought we would have to re-home her, it was an awful, she completely lost her mind.

She will bug you until you sit down so she can crawl on your lap, and will take a nap with you in a heart beat, head on the pillow, under the covers. Here are some pics.

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q660/akstaj/Sch_zps59408af5.jpg

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q660/akstaj/546842_4009107711832_2019623915_n_zpsf70ef39f.jpg

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q660/akstaj/schlafly.jpg

ReSomething
Jan. 25, 2013, 12:51 PM
You know, regular pigs can be cute too, it's just that they get so BIG. We've had a couple that will sit for food and roll over to have their tummies scratched, know their names and whatnot. But they get as heavy as a horse and about as big around as a large pony and they are built with huge musculature in the neck and shoulders so they can demolish just about anything they can get their noses under. When they are at 200 or under they are nice, once they hit 400 and on to 1000 the lap time is OVER.

quarterhorse4me
Jan. 25, 2013, 05:38 PM
We rescued one from our local SPCA (at their request). He was about a year old when we got him and had to be neutered immediately as he was quite amorous. Mr. Pig is now 16 but still gets around well despite the arthritis (a broken leg from a horse kick. )

He likes to move around to various spots in the barn. In the winter he prefers the hay room and in the summer he likes the concrete aisle. I cover him every night in the winter with his blanket. He does make a mess of my barn and I have never found him to be very neat. He urinates and poops where he pleases.

He eats anything we feed him and pop tarts are his absolute favorite. He snuffles in the horse poop, raids the chicken scratch and loves deli-scraps.

For as much as I like Mr. Pig, I would not do another pig again. He is invariably in the wrong place at the wrong time. Trying to get him to move away from the stall door when he has chosen to lie against it is a nightmare. From the sound of his screams you would think I was trying to slaughter him.

Enjoy if you get one! It has been quite an experience.

msloyer
Jan. 25, 2013, 06:06 PM
I loved my pig. He was left in a dog crate at my barn early one morning - no note - only a sack of hog grower. I had no idea what to with a adolescent pig but I learned quickly! He had his own stall but would graze for part of the day with the horses. He would come in when I told him it was time to "get in his house". He wasn't terribly fond of the dogs and would occasionally snap at them. He did need his teeth attended to regularly and got a rabies vaccine once a year. I trimmed his hooves myself with about the same frequency as the barefoot horses. He was particular about his humans. Some he didn't like at all but if he liked you he'd follow you around, sit in your lap and beg for horse treats. I found him to be a very entertaining guy and still miss him.

Nicker
Jan. 25, 2013, 11:48 PM
I've never owned a pbp...but I've picked up a few as "strays". If you do decide to get one, consider checking your local animal shelter. We've had 5-6 in the last year and all but one have been successfully rehomed. They have all been cute, quirky things that probably grew larger then their owners expected and were dumped.