PDA

View Full Version : Signs of the Seasons Changing?

dressagetraks
Jul. 27, 2010, 09:46 AM
I had to make an early morning run to Walmart this morning, and while driving, I passed an entire hedge, a couple of hundred feet long, of burning bushes. One of my favorite autumn landmarks - it's gorgeous when it's all lit. :yes: I looked at it as always when I drove by, and then slowed down for a second look.

It is definitely blushed around the edges. Not near flaming yet, but the whole hedge, not just one or two nonconformist bushes, is definitely starting the trek toward its annual glory.

Not that I've kept an exact calendar, but I've passed that hedge for a dozen years regularly, and it seems to me that late July is quite a bit earlier than it usually starts to show.

Could it be that we'll have a humdinger and early winter to follow our sizzling summer? Anybody else noted any signs that summer might end early?

I hope not. I like the heat, and I like the summer non-heating bills (I don't have AC). I shiver through winters. But late July is AWFULLY early for that hedge to be starting its process.

shawneeAcres
Jul. 27, 2010, 09:53 AM
I have seen some sgins, but I think it is heat induced, not necessarily an "early winter". I do NOT like this heat however and will be MORE THAN GLAD to see Fall arrive!!!

carolprudm
Jul. 27, 2010, 10:19 AM
My goats are obnoxiously comming into rut.

Breeding now means kids in Dec
NOT what I want

Druid Acres
Jul. 27, 2010, 10:30 AM
I noticed a row of sumacs turning red the other day as I was driving to the barn, and I also saw a wooly bear caterpillar crossing the road. These are both normally September occurrances. I agree, something is definitely up, but I'm not sure what exactly.

Catersun
Jul. 27, 2010, 10:33 AM
Mid July and they are harvesting tobacco already... usualy late august early september. WEIRD.

Auventera Two
Jul. 27, 2010, 10:34 AM
The wild birds are starting to flock up in huge numbers, which is always a sign they will begin their migration soon. I must have had 200 barn swallows on my power lines the other day. That only happens when they are about to start heading south.

sk_pacer
Jul. 27, 2010, 10:51 AM
I think it is the heat in some areas that is playing hell with plants. I've noticed nothing saying fall, hell crops are a month behind, and people are just starting haying because it was cold and wet for May and June.

No birds flocking here yet, but the swallows do tend to congregate where the skeeters are thickest in the yard and they are starting a second nest already. Only thing in flocks here are blackbirds, flocks of destruction as they go from yard to yard and strip gardens and fruit trees. I did notice one of the cats got another and left me a heap of black feathers by the door.

Vesper Sparrow
Jul. 27, 2010, 11:07 AM
I think the birds are flocking early because the breeding season began and ended early. The current year's crop of juveniles often hang out together once they are independent of their parents. In my mind, it is not neccessarily a sign that fall or winter is coming early. I think it will be a good breeding season for birds.

The crickets and katydids are just getting started here, which for me is the sign of summer starting to draw to a close. Birdsong has definitely dropped off--only the Song Sparrow and the everpresent Warbling Vireo are actively singing here and I am no longer awakened at 4:00 am by the dawn chorus of Robins.

Leather
Jul. 27, 2010, 11:30 AM
Ditto on seeing sumac starting to change already.

I thought the first one I saw was a fluke and was just a dying bush, but the other day riding in the park I saw multiple stands of it starting to turn.

Auventera Two
Jul. 27, 2010, 11:42 AM
I think the birds are flocking early because the breeding season began and ended early. The current year's crop of juveniles often hang out together once they are independent of their parents. In my mind, it is not neccessarily a sign that fall or winter are coming early. I think it will be a good breeding season for birds.

The crickets and katydids are just getting started here, which for me is the sign of summer starting to draw to a close. Birdsong has definitely dropped off--only the Song Sparrow and the everpresent Warbling Vireo are actively singing here and I am no longer awakened at 4:00 am by the dawn chorus of Robins.

My feeders have been loaded with Grossbeaks which ordinarily happens at the end of the season. The 2nd crop of Barn Swallows fledged last week. The 2nd crop of Bluebirds fledged nearly a month ago. It was a very good bird year here but I've noticed a massive drop-off in the last few weeks. My one year-long constant is the family of Pileateds. They visit my feeders daily, thankfully :) Magnificent birds.

Zu Zu
Jul. 27, 2010, 11:58 AM
Yes, the seasons are changing ~ leaves are different & in another three weeks we will notice winter coats coming on the horses and ponies - enjoy the SHINEY :D coats while you can -- Take Christmas Pictures Now ~ :cool: Start winter prep ~~~ gravel delivery and such.....:yes:

monstrpony
Jul. 27, 2010, 02:02 PM
I noticed my guys starting to shed, but I dont' think it's particularly early for the very first short stuff to begin coming out. I do think the heat is having an effect, starting to see some leaves dry out and such. Geez, I hope last winter wasn't just a sample ... :eek:

fooler
Jul. 27, 2010, 04:51 PM
Seeing similar signs.

Plus more spiders building larger webs, crows are about and some of the 'evening insects" are talking - all usually happen around September, not July. The deer have not stopped coming up for their corn and the horses, cats and dogs still eating everything put in front of them. They normally eat less in the dead of summer.

Saw the same signs last summer and have been concerned that we would have a repeat of last winter. . .

msj
Jul. 27, 2010, 05:34 PM
Another person seeing a lot of bird flocking AND this morning I saw 2 flocks of Canadian geese going north! :eek: Now we did have a very early and dry spring, like 2-3 weeks early, but have paid dearly for it with excess heat, humidity and rain (not flooding mind you) in both June and July so it would not surprise me that autumn came a bit early. Honestly, after the heat and humidity, I almost welcome winter. :D

skyy
Jul. 27, 2010, 05:37 PM
I was just commenting to my friend yesterday that I noticed that DD's pony's but is furry. All of a sudden it's not the normal summer hair. We can't possibly have a terrible winter, brutal summer and another terrible winter can we? Are we being punished?