PDA

View Full Version : Likelihood of finding barn work in exchange for riding in NOVA?

daisies
Jul. 27, 2010, 06:50 AM
Good morning. Longtime lurker here, registered to ask this question.

I'm considering a change in career. As in, ending mine. One of my biggest hesitations is the thought of how to find/justify money to ride. Hubby is not going to finance this.

So I'm wondering ... what's the likelihood of finding barn work in exchange for riding in the northern VA area? I haven't tried to do that since I was a teen :D and I was living in a different area then. I don't care about showing -- just want to be able to get my horse therapy, and, after years of working in an office, would be happy to work outside.

Any thoughts on this? Am I crazy?

shea'smom
Jul. 27, 2010, 07:17 AM
I would love to have someone like you. I have two great college students who work off most of their board and lessons here. I bet you can find a situation that will work. Go for it!

Janet
Jul. 27, 2010, 07:29 AM
Certainly possible.

Where are you?
What disciplinne?

Check the "horseless riders and riderles horses" thread.

daisies
Jul. 27, 2010, 07:30 AM
Sheas mom, that's good to hear! Thanks!

Janet, I'm an intermediate English rider, can't really claim any particular discipline though the barns where I take lessons are hunter-style barns. I'm in Loudoun County. Thanks for the tip on the thread to check out.

An initial search on Craigslist wasn't promising ... I guess I should go post notes on tack store/feed store bulletin boards?

Janet
Jul. 27, 2010, 07:46 AM
Here is the link
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227167

daisies
Jul. 27, 2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the link, Janet. I added a post there.

Liberty
Jul. 27, 2010, 08:28 AM
Check here too, as I've seen many ads for riding in exchange for barn work in the past:
http://www.virginiaequestrian.com/main.cfm?action=Employment&CatID=8

You can also place a free ad there under Employment-Wanted.

Lastly, you could also join the VAHorses email list group to see if any list members are in the market for what you're offering (see my sig down below for link to this group). :)

Good luck!

Milocalwinnings
Jul. 27, 2010, 08:38 AM
In the past I've seen a lot of ads on Virginia Equestrian looking for people to work in exchange for riding. Northern VA is a very horsey area, so I wouldn't think you'd have a problelm :)

briddygirl
Jul. 27, 2010, 04:25 PM
I've seen a lot of posting regarding this.....I think a lot of barn owners need help but have a hard time coming up with the actual cash to pay for help.....riding time is a great exchange.
Check out Virginia Equestrian on line....under help wanted or whatever....you may be in luck!

tabula rashah
Jul. 27, 2010, 04:49 PM
I so wish you were closer- I would love to exchange help time for riding- or even just have someone else ride some of my guys regularly

RacetrackReject
Jul. 27, 2010, 04:53 PM
Too bad you aren't near me. I would LOVE to have this sort of situation.

daisies
Jul. 29, 2010, 05:52 AM
Thanks for all the responses! I think I have a possibility already, thanks to this forum! :)