PDA

View Full Version : We got our new puppy!!!

crosscreeksh
Jul. 26, 2010, 04:30 PM
Finally after so much bad sh** this past year. I finally have good news. As some of you will remember, last fall we had a female GSD, that after months of treatment we had to put down due to an unfixable disk problem, then after the first of the year, a totaly unrelated male GSD began suffering from degenerative spinal disease and after a 4 month battle we had to put him down. After much careful research we decided to get a South African Boerboel pup. I spoke to MANY breeders and settled on one that had very high quality dogs that had been imported from SA, but more importantly they are kept in a family situation and co-mingle peacefully with assorted beagles, an Australian shepherd and another hunting dog, play at the local dog park and walk through a residential neighborhood...all without aggression or other issues. A very important fact when you are buying a 160-180 pound dog!! We got our male pup, a reverse/black brindle 10 days ago and he is FANTASTIC!!! Smart, loveable and a great asset to our farm pack. And did I mention how cute he is?? At 8 weeks, he is already 15+ pounds, but is "mostly" house broken, comes when called and loves the other dogs and barn cats. He hasn't gotten toooo close to the horses, but he doesn't seem to be afraid of anything. Hopefully, some day he will be able to help the Great Pyrennes rid us of "cat eating" coyotes!! Oh...we named him "Ambush"!
Pictures on my last post.

PRS
Jul. 26, 2010, 04:45 PM
Pictures???? You can't just say you got a new puppy and not post pictures!

Ainsley688
Jul. 26, 2010, 09:42 PM
Wow, I am IN LOVE with this breed! Holy cow, do I want one now! I had no clue this was a breed of dog, and have been researching them for about an hour, lol. We SO need pictures, and I love the name. :-)

Zu Zu
Jul. 26, 2010, 10:08 PM
Love the name "Ambush" ~ very cool especially for this breed and his job ~ pictures please ~

crosscreeksh
Jul. 26, 2010, 11:15 PM
Thanks all. I'm working on the picture "thing". I tried to download to Photobucket and it was trying to download 300 pictures that are on my camera card. Gotta work on that project!! At this point he looks like any cute HUGE puppy. The breeder says genetically he should mature to 160 to 180 pounds and looking at the size of his head and feet, I'd guess he might!! "Ambush" was the dam of the dam of my good female GS dog. I've kept the name in my head for 9+ years waiting for the right dog. Since this pup is VERY black except for the dark brown marble squiggley stripes and since he was bought to be a family guard dog, I thought the dog and name were a good match. He is smart as a whip and very people oriented and bonded. Maybe not the breed for everyone, but I think he will be perfect for DH and me and our horse farm situation. The breed is known for it's love of children and small animals...important when he will outweight some grown men!! The black brindle is supposedly favored for guard dogs as they are less visible in the dark!!

railmom
Jul. 26, 2010, 11:25 PM
Oh man.....You can't start a puppy thread without pictures, LOL! I want to see paw pictures, I love big puppy paws :)

kookicat
Jul. 28, 2010, 06:39 AM
Very cool. :D My Dad's Ridgeback was called Ambush. :D

crosscreeksh
Jul. 29, 2010, 02:26 PM
Well I put two pictures on photobucket. I've never done this so we'll see if it works!!

http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a466/Crosscreeksh/

crosscreeksh
Jul. 29, 2010, 02:33 PM
It worked!! Just so you know I don't let him play with scissors, but I needed a quick distraction!!! Isn't he cute!!

Zu Zu
Jul. 29, 2010, 03:29 PM
"Ambush is adorable :D ~ what expression ~~~ he will certainly grow into a handome young man. :cool: Thanks for sharing your pictures ~

My2cents
Jul. 29, 2010, 03:42 PM
omy, what skooooshy face. take LOTS of puppy pics cuz in a week when he's full grown, you won't remember that little pudge pot ;). sqeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, soo cute!

Aggie4Bar
Jul. 29, 2010, 03:51 PM
Oh, cuteness!! Take a whiff of puppy breath for me. :)

crosscreeksh
Jul. 29, 2010, 04:34 PM
My DD and I had to drive 5 hours one way to pick him up and the timing of the trip came at 7 weeks, 3 days of age, but he had been weaned and living with siblings, and eating like a horse, so we got him a bit early. He was very much a puppy - THAT first week, but I swear you can watch him grow by the minute!! If we had missed that first week, we never would have seen the "puppy" part!! (His sire weighs 170 pounds - fit!!) He is soooo smart and very people oriented. He comes when you call him and even knows to go to the door when he wants to go out...mostly. And the best news is that he sleeps 7-8 hours a night and hasn't had one "accident" on the floor at night. And he's a "cuddler"!! Even my reserved DH loves him. The two house dogs - spayed females, are warming up to him and the Great Pyrennes is terrified of him!! He will be a terrific addition to our farm family!!