PDA

View Full Version : How do your arena lights work- On a switch or auto on/off?

mpsbarnmanager
Jul. 26, 2010, 11:54 AM
Hi all,

I am trying to figure out how to do my arena lighting. I am thinking I want to have the lights on a switch near the barn door closest to the areana, so that I/boarders can flip the lights on, walk to the ring, ride, walk back then turn the lights off. This way you don't have to walk in the dark. It will be about a 200 ft ish walk. I could do automatic mercury lights like one of my old barns did, they stayed on all night but they were not really bright enough and I don't think the neighbors will like lights on all the time. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!

2DogsFarm
Jul. 26, 2010, 02:45 PM
I went with cold-ballast fluroescents.
Just a personal preference as they are instant-on/off with no irritating (to me) buzzing like halide.
And no irritating pool of light with shadows - they pretty much light the whole area evenly.

IIWM, I'd put the switch right by the arena entrance - I boarded at a place where the switch was at one end and the entrance at the other - very annoying in Fall & Winter to have to walk through a dark arena to get out.

Maybe you could put your arena lights on a timer set to go off at closing time?
Anyone who wanted to ride past that time would have to switch them on/off manually.

Frank B
Jul. 26, 2010, 04:25 PM
Forget the timer, unless you want astronomical electric bills. They do make a control called an interval timer that will turn them off at a preset length of time after they've been turned on

We have a switch inside the barn so we can turn then lights on as we begin tacking up, so they're at full brilliance by the time we're ready to ride. Likewise, we don't have to fumble in the dark coming back from the arena to the barn.

ICStables
Jul. 26, 2010, 04:41 PM
Definatly put the light switch by the entrance/exit to the indoor. If you are installing more than one row its nice to have each row on different switchs. Some times enough light comes in that we only need a few not all of them.

katie+tru
Jul. 26, 2010, 05:08 PM
I'd also suggest having them in sections, like one switch turns on the middle, the right side, and the left side. That way you don't have to throw every single light on just to lunge a horse on one end. It'll save a lot of money during the winter when people stop by after school/work and just want to mess around with a horse and not actually do hardcore riding.