PDA

View Full Version : Tractor Tires - Where Do You Find Them?

JollyBadger
Jul. 26, 2010, 11:31 AM
My boyfriend has a 1951 International 300 Utility tractor which he uses around his small farm (mostly for things like bush-hogging, and hauling the manure wagon around). This past week, one of the large rear tires developed a leak that cannot be patched or fixed and my mission - should I choose to accept it - is to locate a replacement tire. He doesn't have internet access so he's asked me to check around online.

Any thoughts on where I should even begin to search for tires, especially for a tractor that is "up there" in years?

Tom King
Jul. 26, 2010, 03:18 PM
It doesn't matter how old it is. Check with places that sell tires for semi-trucks. They are usually better priced than tractor dealers and they are set up to change them. Back tires are usually changed on the tractor without having to take the wheel off.

Tamara in TN
Jul. 26, 2010, 03:27 PM
[QUOTE=JollyBadger;4999521] is to locate a replacement tire. He doesn't have internet access so he's asked me to check around online.

Any thoughts on where I should even begin to search for tires, especially for a tractor that is "up there" in years?

the tires will have the numbers you need on them...to buy them....farmers co-ops in farming communities would have the tires or could get one...if the tractor does not see lots of use (1000 hours a year or so) you can buy a used one

Tamara in TN

shakeytails
Jul. 26, 2010, 03:31 PM
Ask around to find out the local on-the-farm tire repair service. If they don't sell tires (my guy doesn't) they can tell you where to buy them. Around here, we can get tractor tires ordered in from any of the independent tire stores.

ReSomething
Jul. 27, 2010, 12:05 AM
We went to the dealer and he steered us to a local tire store. Annoyingly enough the tires are being switched over to a different sizing system so we had to figure that out too. Otherwise we could have just called around asking for a tire that matched the info on the sides.

DH took both the front wheels in and had them done and as soon as we win the lotto we'll be replacing the back ones and changing the type of liquid that's inside, evidently our ballast is probably the same vintage as the tractor and no longer used.

JollyBadger
Jul. 27, 2010, 12:19 AM
So far, the quotes we're getting to replace the tires are in excess of $1000 and that doesn't include actually getting them put ON the tractor.:eek:

Definitely a "when I win the lottery" kind of thing. Then again, if that happens, I'm buying him a brand new one.

With a bucket. :winkgrin:

shakeytails
Jul. 27, 2010, 12:33 AM
So far, the quotes we're getting to replace the tires are in excess of $1000 and that doesn't include actually getting them put ON the tractor.:eek:

Yikes! Keep looking. It's been a few years but the last rear tires I bought for a tractor were $800 for the pair, and they were for a much larger tractor (90+ HP). I know tire prices have gone up, but hopefully not that much.

ETA- when we were pricing tires we got quotes from different places that were almost double what we ended up paying.

shakeytails
Jul. 27, 2010, 12:47 AM
http://www.millertire.com/ This one's in Ohio.
http://www.tiretown.com/rearfarm1.htm This place also has used tires.
http://www.gemplers.com/lug-bar-tread