PDA

View Full Version : Arena question number 2

carolprudm
Jul. 26, 2010, 09:47 AM
Is geotextile necessary?

This is a private arena, one rider dressage only

CatOnLap
Jul. 26, 2010, 11:32 AM
well. where I boarded previously, the stable owner turned my playful big horse out in her new indoor arena...and left him there with no food for the day. He proceeded to paw through the footing, tear up a corner of the geotextile, and pull up about 10 yards of it...

Thank heavens it was not ME who turned him out there. I would have felt terrible. But based on that experience, which inolved two full days of work to fix and put right with a loader and a couple of guys, we never bothered putting the textile down in our ring. 15 years later, the sand is still sand and the base is still base, except for a few small stones coming up from when we regularly drag it. The footing is still great. We have on average 2-3 riders using the ring over the years, on a daily basis.

carolprudm
Jul. 26, 2010, 02:19 PM
well. where I boarded previously, the stable owner turned my playful big horse out in her new indoor arena...and left him there with no food for the day. He proceeded to paw through the footing, tear up a corner of the geotextile, and pull up about 10 yards of it...

Thank heavens it was not ME who turned him out there. I would have felt terrible. But based on that experience, which inolved two full days of work to fix and put right with a loader and a couple of guys, we never bothered putting the textile down in our ring. 15 years later, the sand is still sand and the base is still base, except for a few small stones coming up from when we regularly drag it. The footing is still great. We have on average 2-3 riders using the ring over the years, on a daily basis.

Thanks for the reply, and OMG that could have really been embarassing

S1969
Jul. 26, 2010, 03:10 PM
I think it all depends on your soil/base. We have super heavy clay that could suck in a bulldozer when wet. So we took out about 20" of the clay and put geotextile, then gravel & drainage, then more geotextile, then stone dust (and ultimately about 2" of sand.) Our contractor said he thought we would lose all of our footing without the geotextile. We actually had a gravel road built to the arena to carry the trucks filled with stone/footing materials, and there were a few spots that require 2' of gravel... they just kept sinking!

If your soil is anything but really sticky, sucking clay (I swear, you could work our clay and fire it into bricks), then you might be fine without it.