PDA

View Full Version : Pine Sol and dogs?

SarahandSam
Jul. 26, 2010, 10:33 AM
The barns I've been to sprinkle the aisles with Pine Sol... I've never really asked about it, but I'm assuming it's a general disinfectant, helps with flies, smells better, etc.

I have a concrete area next to my side door of my house where I let my dog out. Since winter (where she'll only stray a foot from the door in the snow) she's been doing all her business on the concrete instead of going farther back into the yard. I pick up the poop, but the pee soaks in and smells a bit, and I feel bad because our neighbours' windows are right next to it. I was thinking about sprinkling Pine Sol out there to see if it helps, but wasn't sure if it might be bad for dogs--she's a dachshund, so she's got fur dragging on the ground and a nose constantly glued to the ground too. Any thoughts on whether it's safe/unsafe (obviously I wouldn't put her out when it was wet, but when it had dried), or any other ideas for things that might keep it cleaner out there?

EponaRoan
Jul. 26, 2010, 06:59 PM
I'd try vinegar to neutralize the odor. Won't hurt the dog and the vinegar (and urine) smell will go away in a bit. You can get gallon jugs very cheaply at Walmart/Sams Club/Costco. Pine Sol & Simple Green make me hack up a lung. I don't think they're good for anything to inhale.

Other ideas:

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/05/05sep19a.cfm

SarahandSam
Jul. 26, 2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks! That's a great link... I already have a spray bottle with vinegar/water for household cleaning and a spray bottle with Listerine to keep the mosquitoes down, so I'll give those a try first... hadn't thought of those!

winfieldfarm
Jul. 26, 2010, 09:33 PM
I would throw down some good old soap and bleach water and scrub the cement with a stiff brush or push broom, then hose.

shakeytails
Jul. 26, 2010, 11:44 PM
Nature's Miracle is also great for getting rid of urine odors.

dawglover
Jul. 27, 2010, 09:13 AM
I've been washing down my kennels with PineSol for 20 years and haven't had any issues with it.

Added benefit of the PineSol is that the flies don't seem to like the smell and stay away.

I have grass yards for them to "go" on but I have one beagle that insists upon using the concrete as her potty.

I also on occasion wash down with a bleach solution to kill any icky germs that may try to move in.

sisu27
Jul. 27, 2010, 01:09 PM
There was a thread not too long ago that scared me into never using Pine Sol again. Try a search as I can't remember the original topic. Might not kill immediately but nasty stuff and clearly not worth the risk.

DinkDunk
Jul. 27, 2010, 02:20 PM
Diluted Bleach is the way to go w/ that urine smell. Our two dogs pee on the gravel driveway and rock deck supports - we dilute some bleach in a heavy duty sprayer and cover it thoroughly. Nothing else has worked.

One of our dogs has seizures and Pine Sol is a possible trigger (as are many household chemicals) so we wouldn't try it.

dawglover
Jul. 27, 2010, 02:27 PM
There was a thread not too long ago that scared me into never using Pine Sol again. Try a search as I can't remember the original topic. Might not kill immediately but nasty stuff and clearly not worth the risk.

Ah, well, I guess I've been lucky. I've got some ancient dogs. Mind you, they are NOT wading around in the stuff. I open the gates, doggies go play in the barnyard, I clean kennels and wash down, and by the time I put the dogs back in, the kennels are nearly dry.
I also use it in my house. And I'm ancient too.

Guin
Jul. 27, 2010, 05:08 PM
Our barn uses PineSol on the aisles, and I love it. Really keeps the flies down. Doesn't bother the barn dogs at all, one of whom is ancient and just lies in the middle of the aisle all day long.

SarahandSam
Jul. 27, 2010, 09:57 PM
Thanks all!

gloriginger
Jul. 27, 2010, 11:20 PM
Pine sol isn't really that bad--infact when My dog had mange last year I bathed her in 1/2 pinesol 1/2 pantene shampoo/conditioner mix and it killed the mange ;) and her coat is fine- she is fine.

Website for Pinesol also specifically states that it is good for cleaning pet areas. The active ingredient is Pine oil...

dalpal
Jul. 28, 2010, 06:16 AM
I second the Nature's Miracle. I don't keep any chemicals in my home. I use Dawn Dishwashing detergent for just about everything. But do keep a gallon of NM.

bf1
Jul. 28, 2010, 08:04 AM
I know someone who used to use a dollop of pine-sol in her fly spray concoction for her horses. Worked really well - never bothered the horses.

And also on the barn aisle - I have also done this. Smells nice, helps with flies.

Falconfree
Jul. 30, 2010, 12:06 AM
My parents used to have a maid come in once a week, and she would clean everything with Pine Sol. Their golden retriever loved the smell and would literally lick the living room table as soon as the maid was done. It was hilarious. He never had any problems from it, but it probably wasn't the safest thing out there. :P

AnotherRound
Jul. 30, 2010, 11:59 AM
Since pine sol is pine oil, I don't see where the harm comes from.

What's wrong with using the kennel odor busting wash?

I would use pine sol or bleach, first. (NOT Together) but the kennel solutions are made for uring soaked into cement and really work (when I found feral cats peeing in a crawl space in my basement - really neutralied the odor.

I found this discussion about it:

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/bulletins_read/214223.html?pagen=1

very interesting, alot of people talked about vinegar and baking soda. I was thinking of OdoBan.

I love Simple Green. Very 'green' and worth trying.

Lots of suggestions in above link.

EponaRoan
Jul. 30, 2010, 03:29 PM
Since pine sol is pine oil, I don't see where the harm comes from.Natural isn't always safe.

http://www.drugs.com/enc/pine-oil-poisoning.html

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1677+1684&aid=2251

And Simple Green always makes me hack up a lung, so it has something in it that certainly doesn't agree with me, healthy or not & the company that makes it won't tell you exactly what is in it either.

Of course, anything can kill you or hurt you in sufficient quality. :D I personally steer away from Pine Sol & Simple Green because they don't work for me. Plus I used to have an epileptic dog and was very cautious about what got used in the house since we weren't sure what might set him off although his seizures did not appear to be chemically induced.

blaster
Jul. 31, 2010, 10:09 PM
I'd use lime on the grass. That's what the county does why then have a sewer break, and need to neutralize the waste. No harm to people, grass, or pets.

Cruiser12
Aug. 1, 2010, 09:58 PM
Use whatever on the concrete , I'm sure these suggestions are all good, BUT to rectify the problem for future, SEAL the concrete with a water based sealer, you can purchase it at any Home Improvement store, as long as the concrete isn't super smooth, it won't make it slick. If it is smooth, through a little sand in the sealer to add some grit. It takes not time to apply, just roll it on like paint, or get a pump up sprayer. then the urine won't soak in and you can just hose it off.
BUT- DO NOT use Pine Sol to clean if it's sealed, Pine Sol is a SOLVENT- hence the "Sol" part and it will strip the sealer. Not the end of the world though, it's easy to reapply. I like to use SIMPLE GREEN to clean with. Smells good is not corrosive.

TheOtherHorse
Aug. 2, 2010, 09:37 AM
I would throw down some good old soap and bleach water and scrub the cement with a stiff brush or push broom, then hose.

We do this at the clinic where I work-- hose down to get it wet, splash bleach water on the concrete, scrub with push broom, let it sit for 5 minutes, hose off.