PDA

View Full Version : 2h trailer tire specs

max72
Jul. 25, 2010, 07:33 PM
Can anyone help me figure out what kind of tires are appropriate for a 2h bumper pull? I need to replace mine. thought it would be easy - bring in the one that blew out, and get the same. I bought what the guy had in stock, which he said was different because it was a 10 ply with a psi rating of 80.

from reading some threads here, I am now wondering if this is OK because on my trailer at the moment are Goodyear Marathons, with unknown (to me) ply and grade and a psi rating of 50.

and then the spare I have is something else, with a psi of 65.

bottomline - I need a whole set of new tires and want to get something good quality and appropriate.

where do I go for straightforward answers?

thanks!

2bee
Jul. 25, 2010, 08:07 PM
Little in life is 'straightforward', but with a 2h BP it is a 99% probability it came with 3500lbs axles and the appropriate tire size for that axle is; ST205/75/15 rated ~1820 @ 50 psi (6 ply). A 65 psi (8 ply) is also avaliable in that size to gain about another 300 lbs capacity per tire. It is unlikely a wheel on a 2h trailer is rated for 80 psi (10 ply), so I would not air your new tire to it's max 80 psi without knowing the limits of the wheel, that info "should" be printed on the inside of the wheel.

What is the year/make of trailer? Do you know the size of the tires on the trailer now? I will assume there is no sticker on the trailer listing the OEM size/axle ratings.

As for good quality, Maxxis, Denman, and Goodyear Marathons (if made in USA) generally top the list. Steer clear of tires made in china and you should be fine.

baysngreys
Jul. 26, 2010, 01:33 PM
Call the trailer manufacturer and ask.
We just ordered new tires for our 2-horse (Brenderup). They are not something I can drive into any tire store and purchase. They are smaller than other 2-horse tires but regular sized tires aren't weighted for the load.

Having the correct size/weight tire is as important as having them inflated properly and installed correctly.

max72
Jul. 26, 2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the on and off line info. I've got a plan :)
Should've done the research before going to the store but I think I'll be able to work it out.

TBs&aPaint
Aug. 12, 2010, 11:05 PM
Speaking of tires for a 2h... I am going to look at an older (1987) Valley 2h bumper pull, extra tall, extra wide, that has sat for 10 years and will need new tires. Does anyone else have this sort of trailer & if so, what tire do you have on it?
Thanks.

Heart's Journey
Aug. 13, 2010, 08:26 AM
If it's sat for 10 years it's gonna need a lot more done than just tires. There are a lot of Valley trailers down here in South Fla and within 2-3 years, they all have lots of rust on them. I'm not sure where you are, but the rain, high humidity and salt air really ruins steel trailers.

The wheel bearings will also need to be greased and I imagine other things as well. I would be real leary of a trailer that has sat for 10 years, it is much better to use them.

TBs&aPaint
Aug. 13, 2010, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the input. It is rusted, and I need to see if it has affected the columns or just the side wall. I don't know yet the extent of the damage. It is a $500 fixer-upper, but for about $1000 more I could buy a road ready older trailer so it really will depend on what else is going on.

I am wondering if sitting so long would affect the underside of the trailer, and if there are other things I should look out for in this case. Sounds like the $ for trailer tires may be the lesser of all evils.