PDA

View Full Version : New Trailer Help? and NE dealers?

joiedevie99
Jul. 25, 2010, 06:52 PM
Looking for some guidance on new trailers... I've searched and read a number of threads so far. From that, I've eliminated Merhow for poor customer service, Sundowner for floor/frame problems, and am on the fence about Exiss.

I really like the Hawk's with the rumbar floor, but am concerned about the weight. The trailer would be about 3700 lbs. (2H straight load, large size, with dressing room) with two 3500 lb. axles. I would ideally like to add a side ramp to that, to the tune of 3880 lbs. That seems like its cutting it awful close in terms of capacity with two large horses.

Are there any equally well built brands (either aluminum or steel) that have a lower trailer weight? I've thought about Lakota, but neither dealer had one to look at.

Or is it really ok to have around 6800 lbs. in a trailer with 7000 lb. max?

On another note- I only know of two localish dealers - Action Trailer Sales in Danbury, CT and Congelosi in Montgomery, NY. Anyone know of another in driving distance of Westchester County, NY?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

judybigredpony
Jul. 25, 2010, 07:03 PM
Call Hawke and talk to them directly about your weight concerns.
they have always been very approachable.
they also can direct you to their closest dealership.

2bee
Jul. 25, 2010, 07:45 PM
Technically the tongue weight will be ~900lbs or so, and that will be carried by the truck giving you a little more breathing room. Or just have one built with 5200 lbs axles.

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Jul. 25, 2010, 11:29 PM
I am such a tire kicker. I've researched every brand out there for the past 2 years or so waiting to afford my dream trailer. BUT the truck had to be replaced first so I'm having to wait. That being said, I found the best deals on the Shadow trailers from Ocala. Sold up there by you also. We've been using my friends great big 2 + 1 for a year now & have found only great things to say about it. The standard features include more than most others such as a nice insulated roof. I looked at the 4-stars & while they are wonderful I just couldn't see that they were that much better for the extra $$$. I love the Hawks also but just don't like the look of the inside of this brand of trailer after a few years of use. Most that I've found used are rusted where the horse has rubbed, etc. I also don't like the look of the unfinished roof inside even though overall they are nice trailers.
Back to the Shadows they have a heavy duty floor system, great big drop down bus windows if you want them, heavy duty cam locks on all doors standard & also standard are 2 full back doors with ramp over. I much prefere this to a ramp with the top doors. Much safer for the horses. Just my 2 cents worth & also I'm jealous.....

cssutton
Jul. 26, 2010, 12:02 AM
I just dropped my Sundowner off at the dealer's for its semi annual acid wash, brake inspection and wheel bearings packed.

While there, I spent some time looking at an Eby 4 horse head to head.

That is real quality.

That will be my next trailer even though I have had 16 years of trouble free 230,000 plus miles out of the Sundowner.

The Eby is far far better made.

CSSJR

mvp
Jul. 26, 2010, 08:11 AM
You might go on EquineSite.com and look around in the recent CT branch of their bulletin board for a thread about dealers. Action in Danbury, CT recently changed hands and people have some opinions and first-hand experience to share.

I can't comment on Congelosi, through IIRC reports were that they would fall all over themselves to sell you a trailer, but not to service it or stand behind what they sold you.

I think you'll be happiest if you do your research independently and then find the dealer who has what you want for the price you want even if that's further away.

Once you have settled on a brand or two and still know you want something custom, that's the time to ask again about competent, honest dealers.

IFG
Jul. 26, 2010, 08:46 AM
If you are in New England, look at Kingston. They are great trailers and hold their value. I love my 1990 model.

tucktaway
Jul. 26, 2010, 10:21 AM
It's a little far but, I've always heard great things about Orchard in Mass. and they've been helpful and friendly any time I've called them. I went to Action once, years ago, for some repair help and was not impressed at all.
I second the Kingstons, but not as well made as they once were...

ryansgirl
Jul. 26, 2010, 01:38 PM
I'd go to Orchard Trailers in Whately, MA and see what they have.

http://www.orchardtrailers.com/

I bought my Kingston through them and love it. Kingstons were all my father would ever buy when we were kids - they hold their value and last forever. :)

(I've heard too many bad stories about Exiss so personally I stay away from those...).

MunchkinsMom
Jul. 26, 2010, 07:23 PM
First choice for me would be the Eby, hands down - if cost were not an issue. I ended up with a Shadow (factory is here in Ocala) and have been very happy with my purchase.

Both manufacturers have dealers up your way, best bet is to go to the factory websites, and then do a dealer locator.

MunchkinsMom
Jul. 26, 2010, 07:28 PM
Tourbillon carries the Eby line. The are located in North Scituate, RI

http://www.tourbillontrailers.com/dealership/about.htm

joiedevie99
Jul. 26, 2010, 11:25 PM
Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to plan a mini road trip for this weekend and check some out. I just have trouble really getting a sense of what they feel like inside without standing in them. I really appreciate all of your help and leads on dealers. I'm going to check into Double D, Kingston, Shadow and Eby (and whatever else I find at these places) before I do anything on the Hawk.

Thanks again!

MunchkinsMom
Jul. 26, 2010, 11:33 PM
You can also locate numerous dealers here:

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/dealers.asp

AppJumpr08
Jul. 27, 2010, 08:32 AM
Eby.

I have a 20 year old head to head, and the thing is a tank. Obviously there is wear on some of the bits and pieces, but I've never seen another 20 year old trailer that looked half as good as mine, and it had a hard life before it came to this farm.

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Jul. 28, 2010, 01:11 AM
Hey OP, not sure of what size trailer you're looking for but again with the Shadow, they have an option called the Commercial Upgrade package where they reinforce the gooseneck area plus line the walls with rumber instead of regular wall insulation. My friend's 2+1 has this upgrade & it makes for a tough, quiet, very solid feeling trailer. I think that upgrade was about $500 for a rather big trailer. Have fun shopping.