PDA

View Full Version : Stall base and footing

Coyoteco
Jul. 25, 2010, 01:52 PM
We're adding onto our barn and I need information on stall floors. I know it's been covered a lot before.
Anyway, currently it's a very tick layer of "structural fill" which appears to me to be heavy sand. Very far under that is clay. I know I need a layer or two on top of the "structural fill". I think this will create excellent drainage, but it gets soft when it gets wet.

mpsbarnmanager
Jul. 25, 2010, 03:04 PM
I would suggest tamping the sand that is there (assuming there is enoough there already and you do not need to bring in more to raise the floor for drainage) and put in about 4 to 6 inches of stone dust (aka bluestone), and cover that with rubber stall mats. Any pee that gets under the mats will drain away and you will have a solid base so as long as you tamp it all and make sure it it TOTALLY level. That is what my barn is and I have never had a problem or had to do any maintinence in 10 years. Good luck!

gumtree
Jul. 26, 2010, 11:41 AM
I second Stone Dust. Don't be talked into asvault

horsepoor
Jul. 26, 2010, 12:30 PM
Depending where you are, I believe stone dust might be the same as what we call screenings out here. I have packed rock (might be 5/8" minus -- I can't remember now, it has been so long ago) down low under my stalls, covered with a pretty deep layer of screenings, packed well. No soft spots, mats never move, great stuff. Because the screenings are more of an angular grain, rather than round like some sands, it packs better. I'm not really sure how well it drains as it doesn't get much opportunity to do that -- since I have rubber mats and bed with wood pellets and/or shavings, any urine gets soaked up with that before it makes it below the mats.

AnotherRound
Jul. 26, 2010, 03:43 PM
I second Stone Dust. Don't be talked into asvault

Are trying to say asphalt?:confused:

I second the bluestone with sand base over clay.