PDA

View Full Version : Dog w/ bb or pellet under his skin?

kdow
Jul. 23, 2010, 02:13 AM
I'm posting this in around the farm because I know folks on farms sometimes use pellet or bb guns to scare off wildlife and that sort of thing, so I'm hoping they have some idea/experience.

Anyway. Pirate has a bump on the top of his head since I got him that, to be honest, I hadn't paid that much attention to because he's a bit of a lumpy bumpy dog anyway. (He has a couple of those fatty lumps under the skin dogs sometimes get - they haven't changed size or feel in the several years I've had him, so the vet doesn't want to mess with them beyond monitoring them.) However this evening I was giving him a really good head rub, and I actually felt at the bump more than I had previously, and it actually feels like something round, about the size of a bb, is in there with some scar tissue around it. (Like there's his skin, and then a little bit of lumpiness, and then you can feel something firm and roundish in the middle of the lumpiness.)

Anyway, I know it could possibly be just a cyst, but I wanted to check - if it is a bb or pellet, does it need to be removed if it's not bothering him where it is? (I mean it's literally on the top of his head, so it's not like he's rubbing it against anything regularly or interfering with a joint.) I don't actually know what such things are made of these days, so I'm mostly concerned that it could be some kind of material that might make him sick over time.

He was quite probably a stray for a while, both in Florida and up here, and I know people sometimes use bb/pellet type guns to scare off strays in farm areas, and I know beyond that some people (using the term loosely) think it's fun to take pot shots even at very nice animals, so it isn't out of the realm of possibility that he was in one of those situations.

(I know, I know, take him to the vet - but they've just seen the vet recently for their regular summer check up and heartworm and everything not too long ago, so if it's not anything to worry about urgently, I'd rather wait until we next need to take them both in anyway.)

tallyho392
Jul. 23, 2010, 06:20 AM
my little 8 lb toy fox terrier rescue has the same thing at the end of her ribcage down around her belly........the vet said it is most likely a BB, and will work its own way out...it does seem to be closer to the surface than when i got her in dec....

as for folks shooting at dogs......bad enough that someone would shoot at a stray.....but this dog was taken from her only home....a number of kids are in the household.....i just kept thnking, sheesh, did one of these kids shoot her?.....8lbs for heaven sakes!

dalpal
Jul. 23, 2010, 06:20 AM
I'm posting this in around the farm because I know folks on farms sometimes use pellet or bb guns to scare off wildlife and that sort of thing, so I'm hoping they have some idea/experience.

Anyway. Pirate has a bump on the top of his head since I got him that, to be honest, I hadn't paid that much attention to because he's a bit of a lumpy bumpy dog anyway. (He has a couple of those fatty lumps under the skin dogs sometimes get - they haven't changed size or feel in the several years I've had him, so the vet doesn't want to mess with them beyond monitoring them.) However this evening I was giving him a really good head rub, and I actually felt at the bump more than I had previously, and it actually feels like something round, about the size of a bb, is in there with some scar tissue around it. (Like there's his skin, and then a little bit of lumpiness, and then you can feel something firm and roundish in the middle of the lumpiness.)

Anyway, I know it could possibly be just a cyst, but I wanted to check - if it is a bb or pellet, does it need to be removed if it's not bothering him where it is? (I mean it's literally on the top of his head, so it's not like he's rubbing it against anything regularly or interfering with a joint.) I don't actually know what such things are made of these days, so I'm mostly concerned that it could be some kind of material that might make him sick over time.

He was quite probably a stray for a while, both in Florida and up here, and I know people sometimes use bb/pellet type guns to scare off strays in farm areas, and I know beyond that some people (using the term loosely) think it's fun to take pot shots even at very nice animals, so it isn't out of the realm of possibility that he was in one of those situations.

(I know, I know, take him to the vet - but they've just seen the vet recently for their regular summer check up and heartworm and everything not too long ago, so if it's not anything to worry about urgently, I'd rather wait until we next need to take them both in anyway.)

I would still take the dog to the vet. You won't know what this is/if it's serious, life threatening without a vet taking a look at your dog.

MistyBlue
Jul. 23, 2010, 08:07 AM
Put a magnet on it. BBs are magnetic. Good way to tell if there's a BB in there.
If the magnet attracts the lump and/or if the dog cringes a bit (it may pull the BB enough for the dog to feel the movement, although if right under the skin not usually) then it's probably a BB.
You can also test it with a metal detector if you have one. Remove collar and tags so those don't set the detector off first. Then check to see if you get a beep.

Metal detectors are handy to have...I keep saying I've got to get my own. I keep borrowing my neighbor's detector. Best use was when one of my horses was chewing on the end of a lead line, when I grabbed it out of his mouth the small snap on the end was missing. Massive panic attack! Borrowed the metal detector and was sweeping my horse, LOL! Thankfully halfway through my sweeping of the horse and while I was mentally calculating the emergency vet bill in case the damned thing beeped I noticed the snap on the floor. Phew!

JSwan
Jul. 23, 2010, 09:51 AM
MB - when you suggested a magnet I had this vision of my beagle being stuck to this gigantic Acme magnet. Visions of coyote and roadrunner......:lol:

My beagle is peppered with steel shot. She's not an abuse case or rescue, she dug under the fence and wandered onto someone's property - and that person evidently just shoots stray dogs. (she doesn't chase livestock.)

Anyhoo - she is perfectly fine and my vet does not recommend removal of the shot.

Her xrays light up like a Christmas Tree, but that's pretty much it.

Verify with your vet that it is a BB or pellet of course - but unless it is causing a problem the vet will most likely tell you to leave it be.

MistyBlue
Jul. 23, 2010, 11:09 AM
OK I got a double LOL out of that reply JSwan!
First with the image of your beagle stuck to an Acme Magnet and then hearing (er, reading) that your beagle is well peppered with shot.

Why am I not surprised at that information? :lol: :winkgrin: :lol:

I imagine your Beagle has this expression often:
http://ihasahotdog.wordpress.com/files/2007/12/wtf-funny-dog-pictures-i-has-a-hotdog-but-i-eated-it.jpg

But I wouldn't worry too much until it learns how to fly:
http://keithdevens.com/images/weblog/beagle4rm.jpeg

Catersun
Jul. 23, 2010, 11:47 AM
awww... don't pick on Peanut!!! lol

although from the stories Jswan has told I can kinda see the first pic. lol

JSwan
Jul. 23, 2010, 11:50 AM
That first photo is the same expression Peanut had when I discovered her sitting in a coyote trap.

And the second time.....

And the third......

stryder
Jul. 23, 2010, 12:04 PM
I'd follow MB's advice to learn if it's metal. If the skin surrounding it is healthy, and it isn't causing the dog any pain, I'd be content to leave it alone until my next regular vet visit.

My dad took some shotgun spray in the foot and lower leg during a hunting accident, many years ago. The doctors removed most of the shot, but not all. Once he healed over, the shot didn't seem to bother him. Some eventually worked themselves out, but others remained under the skin for 50 years.

kdow
Jul. 24, 2010, 07:54 AM
I'd follow MB's advice to learn if it's metal. If the skin surrounding it is healthy, and it isn't causing the dog any pain, I'd be content to leave it alone until my next regular vet visit.

It's not bothering him at all - never has, and has been the same size and shape since I got him.

That said, apparently my parents' dog needs to go in for a visit because she's started sometimes not wanting to jump up into the car/bed - stuff she normally manages fine. But it's not all the time, just occasionally, so - off to the vet for a check up, and Pirate can tag along. :) (She hasn't had any kind of accident or anything that we know of - is almost 8 old enough for achy joints to start setting in for a cocker spaniel?)

OneonOne
Jul. 24, 2010, 05:13 PM
Is there any chance it could be a microchip that has migrated? Not likely, if he was a stray, I suppose. Just another thought.

vacation1
Jul. 24, 2010, 06:00 PM
OMG, that beagle with the hotdog...:lol:

That said, apparently my parents' dog needs to go in for a visit because she's started sometimes not wanting to jump up into the car/bed - stuff she normally manages fine. But it's not all the time, just occasionally, so - off to the vet for a check up, and Pirate can tag along. :) (She hasn't had any kind of accident or anything that we know of - is almost 8 old enough for achy joints to start setting in for a cocker spaniel?)

Eight seems early for a smaller dog, but I guess it's like people, some start getting arthritis earlier than normal.

bdj
Jul. 27, 2010, 01:46 PM

Could be achy joints, but you might also check the cocker for Lyme - my folks' Corgi has it, and that's one of the big signs that she's having a flare-up - she stops wanting to jump on the sofa, and is reluctant to hop the steps to get back into the house. We start a course of doxy, and she's back to normal within a couple of days. (Same dog has also gone NQR/slightly lame because she had swimmer's tail (not too likely in a Cocker, though, I guess) and once because her anal glands were impacted - guess if your bum is that full, your back gets sore - poor girl - both of those episodes were pretty pathetic.)

MistyBlue
Jul. 27, 2010, 06:51 PM
Yup, 8 sounds about right for the start of arthritis for small to medium sized dogs.
At this age you might want to start putting in ramps or steps to things the dog jumps on and off of. Like the vehicle or the bed or the couch. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the joints. (and always a good idea for even young large heavy breeds)
They make tons of portable ramps and little canine stair sets for this, but they're also easy as pie to make. And you can custom make them really attractive too. a 3/4" piece of plywood cut to size and then attach some carpet or a rug. You can make it match house carpeting or buy a really cute area rug or runner. :yes:

kdow
Jul. 27, 2010, 09:20 PM
Could be achy joints, but you might also check the cocker for Lyme - my folks' Corgi has it, and that's one of the big signs that she's having a flare-up - she stops wanting to jump on the sofa, and is reluctant to hop the steps to get back into the house.

Okay, I will DEFINITELY mention that, because she did have at least one tick on her last summer. (In spite of Advantix. *sigh* And somehow I am always the one to find them even though they FREAK ME OUT, gross little things. *shudder*)

We may have to consider building some ramps or something for her, also - although she's quite clever, so for right now if she wants up somewhere she doesn't want to jump, she'll go and sit next to it and you just reach down and lift up her butt and she handles the front end herself. :)

SmokenMirrors
Jul. 27, 2010, 10:17 PM
BB's are magnetic IF they are steel, and most BB's are copper...so good luck there. The Lyme Disease testing is a good idea too just to rule it out.

sweetwater
Jul. 27, 2010, 10:58 PM
I got a ACD from the local pound, and she was riddled with bb's. She was a turn in from a farmer because she chased his livestock. So I'm sure he peppered her. Don't you just love people:no:

I took her into the vet and he checked them out and said to leave them, they weren't bothering her. She has them from her ear to her hiney...poor girl.

Nauset
Jul. 28, 2010, 08:09 AM
I have a border collie mix who came up from Tennessee with a bullet under her skin. It was the same scenario, I felt it moving right under her skin. I was curious to know exactly what it was and I wanted it out in case it had any lead in it (I don't even know if that stuff has lead in it but I was nervous!) so my vet sedated her and made a tiny incision and it popped right out. She was no worse for the wear. Sure enough, it was a bullet. I still have it! :lol:

JSwan
Jul. 28, 2010, 11:01 AM
She was a turn in from a farmer because she chased his livestock. So I'm sure he peppered her. Don't you just love people:no:

From the farmer's perspective, he was trying to protect his livestock. Livestock that could panic and run through a fence, injuring themselves or causing a car accident.

He's the one who would be saddled with vet bills or a lawsuit.

I don't blame farmers for shooting dogs chasing, maiming or harassing livestock. I'd do it in a heartbeat, especially if I could not call the dog off or catch it. My sister's dog, a really nice friendly dog, once chased my goat Emma and had her by the throat and down on the ground within seconds. Had my hunt whip not worked, I would have shot the dog.

It's a terrible thing to come out and see your animals dead or maimed from a dog attack.

Sure, there are mean folks who just shoot every stray cat or dog they see, and I wish those people would reconsider and take an animal to a shelter (if there is a shelter).

But for folks dealing a livestock chaser.... you can't blame them for protecting their animals.

How would you feel if your neighbors dog chased your horse into a fence, causing injury to your horse? If you tried to catch the dog or call it off and didn't succeed - what would you do? Let your horse be injured or killed?

No - you'd do what you needed to do to save your horse.

Here is a link to a site describing one farmers experience. (graphic photos)

http://www.icelandicsheepandwool.com/attackedsheeppictures.html