PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to secure feed bucket for field boarded horse

TooManyChickens
Jul. 22, 2010, 11:59 AM
One of the loves of my life, a 5 year old OTTB, has it out for his feed bucket. Every morning, and every night. He's on field board, and does very well, except for this issue. At another farm where there was 3 board fencing, I first tried one of those 'hook over' plastic feed bins, and it was on the highest board, as he tended to try to knock it with his front feet at lower levels (he could still reach it easily, as he's a very tall boy). He would push about 75% of his grain out onto the ground, decided he couldn't get what was on the ground in the grass, eat what was left in his bin, and then run off to play with his friends. We've since changed farms. Have PVC fencing now, so don't want to use the hook overs. Tried the shallow low rubber feed tubs. Knocked grain everywhere. Got the deeper rubber pan. Same thing. Then drilled holes in side of deeper rubber pan and secured it to fence post. FIgured out how to get front feet in there and would again, knock everything everywhere. Got a BIG black bucket. Drilled holes to secure it to fence post, and then secured 6 (yes, 6) giant rubber bungees around bucket. Had it off in 2 days. Tried a truck floor mat with lips around the edge. More stepping on and stomping food. Tried a bucket in a tire. Got bucket out and tossed grain everywhere.

I am at my wits end with this horse... he's so sweet and kind, but he's just not getting all his grain, much less the pricey supps he gets. Has anyone ever made something to fix this problem for a similar horse? Maybe I should just buy one of those huge fancy cement planters and he can eat out of that.. LOL

Scruffy
Jul. 22, 2010, 12:03 PM
Get one of those creep feeders that have the bars you can adjust. Adjust it so it is big enough for his muzzle and attach to fence somehow.

jump4me
Jul. 22, 2010, 12:04 PM
Could you try a nosebag?
Also, not sure it'd be any better than what you've been doing, but I've fed horses from the 50gal rubbermaid water tubs, they seem to be harder to tip as they are longer and shallower.

Otherwise, a cement planter may be just the thing! lol

TooManyChickens
Jul. 22, 2010, 12:18 PM
I do have an extra 50 gal tub.. my only worry is that he'll try to get IN it! haha but doesn't hurt to try.. might be comical too. The creep feeder might be a possibility as well.. my only concern is how to attach it to the PVC.. would have to get pretty creative with that..

threedogpack
Jul. 22, 2010, 12:21 PM
try a tractor tire or even a big truck tire with a bucket in it.

or....spread out a flake of hay under the feed bin and let the grain fall into that.

shakeytails
Jul. 22, 2010, 12:33 PM
We use something like these- http://www.nationalbridle.com/product-p/1-2751.htm - to secure flat-back buckets to posts. DH made them so they're a little heavier with bigger lynch pins than those pictured. In 7 or so years of use, inside and out (we use them for water buckets too), I think horses have gotten buckets off maybe 5 or 6 times.

betsyk
Jul. 22, 2010, 01:09 PM
A tractor tire over a rubber mat? The kind of huge tractor tire you need the bucket on the tractor to move?

deltawave
Jul. 22, 2010, 01:38 PM
A regular 12" car tire fits most feed pans and buckets well. You can even buy feed pans that specially fit into a tire. I think Jeffers or Valley Vet has them. If you really want to foil the silly horse, bolt the tire onto a large piece of plywood so he can't flip it. (because he'll be standing on it, hee hee)

Equibrit
Jul. 22, 2010, 01:56 PM
You could get something like this; http://www.discountcrowdcontrol.com/low-boy-round-concrete-planter-19-d-x-15-h.html
and plant it about 6-10 inches in to the ground !

Or - bolt one of these in the corner; http://www.noblepanels.com/corner-feeders.htm

TooManyChickens
Jul. 22, 2010, 02:16 PM
HAHA That's what I need to find at a yard sale this weekend. I'm gonna try the 50 gal tub method tonight, and will be ready with the camera, knowing that joker.

Thanks for all the great ideas! Gonna have to try things one by one.

gumtree
Jul. 22, 2010, 02:35 PM
We've tried all kinds of things nothing works that great and saves time. I would be careful with putting a bucket in a tight fitting tie. They will try to get it and if they stick one of their legs between the bucket and the rim of the tire it will act like Chinese had cuff if you know what I mean and could pull a tendon, or something worse. There is a company that makes a rubber mat with a bucket attached the same principle that Deltawave suggested and I believe Valley Vet carries it. Just wonder how long it will last. We do what Threedogpack suggested a flake of hay with the feed on top but you pretty much have to do they same with the other horses in the field with him. Other wise when they are finished with their bucket feed they will come over to see what going on. When we have 15 plus mares together and there is a bossy one or two this works real well because as soon as they finish the feed they dig into the hay/alfalfa giving a chance for the slow eaters and timid to finish up their grain. I'll watch this thread to see if anyone comes up with a better way. With over 50 horses there are always ones with special needs.

deltawave
Jul. 22, 2010, 02:44 PM
I love the concrete planter idea! :lol: Wish they had those big enough to hold hay. My Irish mare plays frisbee with the 75 pound tractor tires I use as hay feeders, unless I tie them to posts. :rolleyes:

TooManyChickens
Jul. 22, 2010, 03:13 PM
Here's a good one for hay!

http://www.theparkcatalog.com/Customkititems.asp?kc=154%2D1146

Or this.. wouldn't it look pretty in your pasture? Fancy fancy..

http://www.goantiques.com/detail,french-fountain,912018.html

Equibrit
Jul. 22, 2010, 04:38 PM
These guys have some neat stuff, including freezeproof stock tanks; http://www.theconcreteworks.com/cattlefeeders.html

M. O'Connor
Jul. 22, 2010, 06:36 PM
There is one that has a mat attached to it and the horse can't eat without standing on the mat with it's front legs...?

Equibrit
Jul. 22, 2010, 08:27 PM
I love the concrete planter idea! :lol: Wish they had those big enough to hold hay.

They do.

threedogpack
Jul. 22, 2010, 09:40 PM
http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft1_equine_supplies-ft1_horse_feeders;pg106832.html

AppJumpr08
Jul. 22, 2010, 10:03 PM
There is one that has a mat attached to it and the horse can't eat without standing on the mat with it's front legs...?

Tried that with my fool of a TB, and he just took his time pawing all the grain OUT of the tub, smooshing it around on the mat, and then eating what hadn't made it into the dirt (that stuff the chickens got :sigh: )

TooManyChickens
Jul. 23, 2010, 09:18 AM
Well I had some mild success last night.. I put the grain in the tub, and he spent his sweet time sniffing the tub ALL over (it did have a bit of a funny smell, but couldn't believe it would stop him from eating)... so to speed things up I put his tall rubber feed bin (that one was a massive fail tied to the fence) actually IN the tub, put the grain in THAT, and THEN he ate :) Still took his time sniffing it all, but no pawing. I think the sniffs were more important to him. But I think the next few days will give us the real answer if it worked... but crossing fingers!

Foxyrab
Jul. 23, 2010, 10:37 AM
I've had great luck using feedbags with horses that want to fling their grain all over the place.

BeastieSlave
Jul. 23, 2010, 03:04 PM
I've had great luck using feedbags with horses that want to fling their grain all over the place.

Me too. I was so tired of seeing $$ Triple Crown feed on the ground! :mad: No more dumping with feed bag :D

TooManyChickens
Jul. 23, 2010, 04:03 PM
http://www.feedritebag.com/

This seemed like a neat one.. I was worried that my supps would leak out the sides, but there is a... wait for it.... supplement guard that lines the base on the inside! WIN

oldenmare
Jul. 25, 2010, 09:06 PM
I have a TB that does the same thing - I now just place a flake of hay on ground, dump feed in center of hay flake and viola! He eats all of his grain off the hay without flipping it all over the place.

Easy and affordable.

And I wasn't willing to try a number of things as he is an expert at getting into stuff and injuring himself in the process.

dwbonfire87
Jul. 25, 2010, 10:27 PM
Where can I find feed bags? I have horses that are living outside for now, and they are ruthless at feed time and I have to crawl through fences and fend them off to get ahold of thier feed pans they sprawl out everywhere! Then they steal eachothers grain and a few get supps.
When you first introduced these to your horses were they freaked out by strapping them onto thier noses? I have arabs and they're drama queens, and that sounds like something they would be weary about at first, yano because im always trying to kill them lol:winkgrin:

witherbee
Jul. 26, 2010, 10:53 AM
Had the same problem with a horse that liked to fling his water bucket around (in his stall). Ended up placing the bucket outside of the stall (we have dutch doors) and in one of those small milk crates - worked like a charm even though it's not the prettiest thing. You could attach one of those to a fence post and put the feed in the bucket....

Foxyrab
Jul. 26, 2010, 11:21 AM
http://www.horse.com/item/mesh-feed-bag-w-head-strap-black/SLT311812/

These are the ones that I use. I like the mesh because it's easy to clean. If the horse had to have a lot of powdered supplements I'd use a bag with a solid bottom like the one TooManyChickens found.

I've never had an issue with the horses figuring them out -- my Arabs have been such chow hounds that they think it's the greatest thing in the world having food hanging from their heads.

Where can I find feed bags? I have horses that are living outside for now, and they are ruthless at feed time and I have to crawl through fences and fend them off to get ahold of thier feed pans they sprawl out everywhere! Then they steal eachothers grain and a few get supps.
When you first introduced these to your horses were they freaked out by strapping them onto thier noses? I have arabs and they're drama queens, and that sounds like something they would be weary about at first, yano because im always trying to kill them lol:winkgrin:

BeastieSlave
Jul. 26, 2010, 12:53 PM
I like the mesh ones. It's so flippin' hot down here, I can't imagine how gross it would be to not have good airflow.
Also, I swear, one of my guys likes to drink with his feed bag on. Every day (twice a day) I have to race to take it off as soon as he finishes his grain. If I don't win the race I just take the feed bag off while he's at the trough.... I think a solid bag would take forever to dry out and get gunky.

TooManyChickens
Jul. 27, 2010, 09:22 AM
Well I ended up having to stick 2 'filled' cinder blocks on either side of the 8" deep rubber feed pan that is IN the 50 glad tub, just to keep the tub from being kicked around. Now after every meal I find the rubber feed pan somewhere else in the pasture. I'm starting to lose my mind. It might be time to resort to feed bags..

dwbonfire87
Jul. 27, 2010, 09:51 AM
your horse sounds like he has quite a sense of humor lol he likes to keep you on your toes obviously!
i think a feed bag would be the way to go with him, seems nothing else is going to work! I think I may try them too, Im tired of chasing feed pans around the pasture and watching my dogs go eat thier grain with them and watch them dribble grain and supps everywhere. I wet my feed to make more of a mush, would this not work for a feed bag? I mainly do it because they drop so much if I dont, so using the bag I guess I wont need to..

susanne
Jul. 27, 2010, 03:50 PM
How about filling the bottom of a 50 gallon (or larger?) trough with cement -- enough to weight it down -- then putting the feed directly on that (once the cement has set and cured, obviously!). Voila -- the poor person's version of the planter.

If you don't like feeding directly on cement, you could embed a shallow pan or tray in the cement.