PDA

View Full Version : Truck-leather seat maintanence

Noodles
Jul. 21, 2010, 10:13 PM
How can I keep/maintain the leather in my truck?

Dos? Don'ts?

deltawave
Jul. 21, 2010, 11:05 PM
Seat covers. Seriously. Sheepskin are the best. :)

Or, if that doesn't work for you, Murphy's Oil Soap or plain old glycerin saddle soap, spray it on and wipe off every now and then.

Don't let the dog on them. Don't smoke in the truck. Don't spill your soda.

Do try to avoid letting the truck bake in the sun if possible. (windshield shades are your friend) Do keep up with cleaning crumbs out of the little cracks where the stitching is.

Go Fish
Jul. 22, 2010, 02:18 AM
I've been using Leather New (liquid glycerin) on DH's leather seats. So far, so good.

Whatever you do, don't let a detail shop do leather seats. I don't know what they put on the seats in my SUV, but it took several coats of Leather New to get it off. They were so slick that I literally slid out of the driver's seat one day and fell right on my ass. IN FRONT OF DH'S BOSS!

MistyBlue
Jul. 22, 2010, 07:32 AM
You ain't kidding Go Fish...had our Jeep done once at a detail shop. Spent some time afterwards sliding under the dashboard at any semi-quick stop!

Go with seat covers. :yes: They make some fantastic ones for work trucks these days that are puncture and water-proof. :yes:

ReSomething
Jul. 22, 2010, 08:38 AM
Don't climb in the truck with a screwdriver in your back pocket. No dogs, keep the windows shut when it is rainy out, no food etc.

Robyn
Jul. 22, 2010, 09:05 AM
Well I'm stumped. We've had leather in the last four vehicles we've owned. Precisely so we didn't have to worry about maintenance. Two dogs, countless spills, no windshield shades plus we have a sunroof! No screw drivers in the back pocket though! Anyhoo, truck is now six years old with over 100K on it and the seats are perfect. As were all the previous ones. I do go over them with conditioner - no special one - whenever I clean the inside which is probably once a month or so. Oh, and we have running boards partly to keep from putting undue stress on the drivers seat when getting in and out. And to be honest, dogs' toe nails are kept short and they usually ride on the floor in the back... But no stains, rips, or signs of wear of any kind. Leather is very durable if you're reasonably careful.

deltawave
Jul. 22, 2010, 09:14 AM
They're certainly more durable than regular car seat fabric. But the OP was looking for tips, the way I read it, on maximizing wear and minimizing damage. :)

MistyBlue
Jul. 22, 2010, 09:16 AM
Leather is very durable. :yes: Over time and sun exposure though it does start to weather a bit. My Jeep's leather seats did fine with years of semi-abuse and a very large very heavy dog. Time was it's enemy though...around year 8 the seats just started puncturing, ripping, stitching going left and right. :no:

I was super pissed when I bought my truck 5.5 years ago and even ordering one exactly how I wanted it I wasn't able to get anything other than cloth interior. :mad: Not unless I went up a grade and then got a special package that cost a buttload and gave me a ton of stuff I didn't want. And then it was still leather and frankly I wanted the vinyl type faux leather because that stuff holds up like iron and doesn't trap smells and hay chaff like cloth does.
Had that interior on my Disco that I had before the truck and there's nothing like opening your truck doors and hitting the interior with a hose to clean it! :D

Go Fish
Jul. 22, 2010, 02:16 PM
Had that interior on my Disco that I had before the truck and there's nothing like opening your truck doors and hitting the interior with a hose to clean it! :D

:lol: That's why I was sorely tempted to buy the Honda Element. You just open the doors and hose that sucker out.

It was just so damn ugly that I couldn't bring myself to buy it.

wendy
Jul. 22, 2010, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyBlue
Had that interior on my Disco that I had before the truck and there's nothing like opening your truck doors and hitting the interior with a hose to clean it!

That's why I was sorely tempted to buy the Honda Element. You just open the doors and hose that sucker out.

I just bought one for that very reason (well, mostly, also because you can put TONS of stuff into it and still sneak it into a tiny parking spot). I figure once I'm inside I won't notice what it looks like.

After years of hauling stinky tack, stinky filthy dogs, etc. both my prior vehicles developed a, shall we say, indelible aroma? inside that sure didn't add to their resale value or assist me to be any less prone to road-rage when stuck in traffic jams.

Puddin Pie
Jul. 22, 2010, 09:25 PM
Don't let your child leave the crayons loose on the black leather seat of a black truck in 100 degree heat!!!! Found that out the hard way.

MistyBlue
Jul. 22, 2010, 09:52 PM
GoFish, don't blame you on the ugly thing with the Element. :lol: My mom was car shopping about 10 years ago or so and I'm the go-to person in the family when it comes to car shopping. (I'm a bit of a gear head and also a mean negotiator, LOL) While at a Chrysler dealership I wandered over to look at a Town & Country on the show room floor. I was gobsmacked at how spacious and luxurious the interior was! (a loaded top of the line one) But no way could I ever bring myself to drive a minivan, LOL!
(if I ever had to though, that one was pretty sweet!)

Wendy, that's one of the reasons I bought my Disco too. (well, and I've always loved Rovers anyways) I needed something that could be a people carrier (I was a Realtor at the time) that could fit my oversized dog easily, that was 4wd and that was a bear off road. (I like to rock climb and obstacle course off road) The hose-wash interior and the fact that it was waterproof clear up to it's door handles was the icing on the cake for me! :D
Love loved LOVED that suv! Even got the converter kit for the snorkle muffler, LOL! And my dog adored it, it was HUGE inside and fantastic visibility in all directions and he could stand up in the back without his ears folding over from the roof.
*sigh* I miss it. Saw 9 of them today (the older taller style Disco) and it made me miss mine all the more. (there's a Rover dealership near here, so lots of them around)
If I ever get rid of my F250, I'll either look for a used traditional style Disco or get another Jeep G Cherokee.