PDA

View Full Version : Barn doors and windows open or closed for t-storms and tornado warnings?

Loves to ride
Jul. 21, 2010, 03:19 PM
Howdy,

I'm in Massachusetts and have always wondered what is the best thing to do when t-storms and tornado warnings are in place?

I leave the windows and big barn doors open about 1/2 way figuring that it will allow wind to pass through. I have to partially close the windows or the wind blows the screen off.

The horses have in/out access (that doesn't change).

But, I was wondering what other folks do and why?

Thanks in advance!

Sparky Boy
Jul. 21, 2010, 03:26 PM
I think everyone differs on this.

I personally want them in the barn and I close all the sliding barn doors simply because I don't want the wind ripping them off the barn. I have one large roll-up door that stays open but it faces east so the wind isn't too bad from that direction - normally.

shakeytails
Jul. 21, 2010, 03:42 PM
Generally I just close them enough to keep rain from blowing in the end stalls. If the wind is horrid, I'll close the end it's coming from because my aisles are sawdust and I don't want it all blowing away.

RacetrackReject
Jul. 21, 2010, 04:03 PM
In hurricanes, I let the horses decide where they want to be and they want to be out in the pasture. They stand and graze and don't even seem to be bothered by the weather. One of my TBs did get ticked off at the wind and turned into it biting and rearing, then started walking into with his head down. He just doesn't like to be told what to do sometimes though =).

2DogsFarm
Jul. 21, 2010, 05:35 PM
I close & latch my big 16' high sliding doors to prevent them getting blown off the tracks.

Windows are sliders too and I close them because they are next to stacked hay and I don't want the hay getting wet.

My stalls are open 24/7 so horses have free access and wind can get in through the Dutch doors at the backs if it is blowing from the East (hardly ever happens).

JanM
Jul. 21, 2010, 10:15 PM
There was a tv show about tornados and wind pressure a while ago. They demonstrated that the wind pressure getting into a building and imploding it is what caused the destruction. The old myth about opening the windows or doors actually causes more destruction since the house or structure that is securely shut will survive, and one that has open windows and doors quickly explodes.