PDA

View Full Version : Indestructable stall padding?

VarsityHero4
Jul. 21, 2010, 10:18 AM
So I have a blind mare who paces when she doesn't get her way and sometimes she paces furiously when she wants to go outside but it's not time to go out yet and she forgets to pay attention to where she's going and she will walk right into the beam that sticks out at her stall door. I'm worried about her injuring her head if she does it too much since when she almost did it once and tried to move her head before she hit it and my hand got sandwiched in between the corner and her forehead so hard that I thought I broke it and it's still not back to normal after 3 weeks so clearly this could do some damage to her.

The only problem is that she is a broodmare as well and currently has a foal at her side, won't next year because she didn't take, but will hopefully have her last one in 2011. I'd like to pad the beam with something but want to make sure that her VERY rambunctious colt doesn't destroy it or be able to eat it and cause himself harm.

Do you think stall matting would provide enough padding to lessen the blow? How would you go about attaching it? Thanks!

Acertainsmile
Jul. 21, 2010, 10:33 AM
I would try covering it with thick foam and canvas...not sure I have a complete visual of what your trying to cover though!

VarsityHero4
Jul. 21, 2010, 10:58 AM
I'll try to draw it out with the keyboard...

___________DOOR___
l_l l_l

I hope that makes more sense... The squares are the two beams, I supposed they are the support for the opening where the door is. The one closest to the stall wall is never an issue because the horse always paces counter clockwise so hits the square on the left. She also tends to bump it a little when she's going for her water which is right next to that beam. I'm thinking that canvas would easily be chewed up by a foal... Perhaps not?

Anglo-Trak
Jul. 21, 2010, 11:58 AM
Try these folks.
www.dandyproducts.net

Sturdy foam mats covered in vinyl, grommets on all 4 sides so you can attach. Give them a call.

VarsityHero4
Jul. 21, 2010, 09:08 PM
I have experience with the Dandy products from my work and every horse that had them completely ripped them to shreds in a matter of months.

JumpinBeans81
Jul. 22, 2010, 09:01 AM
What about canvas and foam and then spray it with an anti chew spray of some sort. Not sure which one is best, I've never had to use it.