PDA

View Full Version : small arena drag

jodyb
Jul. 20, 2010, 11:51 AM
I've been looking at small arena drags. The difficulty is that it has to be small enough to be pulled by my 17 hp garden tractor. I currently use a small drag but it doesn't dig in to my footing very well and my footing has become quite compacted. I'm looking at the Handozer D3.5-MG.

http://handozer.com/index.php/admin

Has anyone tryed this drag? Has it performed well?

Any other suggestions?

goodhors
Jul. 20, 2010, 12:13 PM
No, have not seen one in person or used one.

However, looking at the pictures, they added WEIGHT in the form of large looking cement blocks to get the digging in action.

You say lawn tractor to pull, which can be cute little things or larger machines. Your machine may or may not, be up to moving this drag with weight on to do the job you want. Without weight, drag may be totally ineffective in compacted ground. With weight, your machine may not be able to move the drag and work the dirt. Or the drag is not doing much of a job on the dirt, when you need it worked up several inches deep in the ring.

Drag is an interesting design, but looks kind of underbuilt. Weights needing to be added are WORK, can you get them on and off? I guess I would want to see them in person, try handling the drag for hitching, adding weight, see it work dirt. And not just fluffy dirt, maybe a driveway to see if it truly loosens things that are packed hard.

Fancy That
Jul. 20, 2010, 06:43 PM
check this thread out:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252700&highlight=drag

Best Arena Groomer/Drag to use with ATV/UTV?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone here have an arena they maintain without a real tractor?

There are a few products meant to be pulled by a UTV, ATV or Garden Tractor (not a real tractor) and I'm looking at what the best one is.

I really would love something like the Arena Rascal, DR Power Grader, or Parma Arena Groomer. Anyone here use any of these?

We have a large, dirt arena, that our landscape rake is simply not doing justice too. We have the 'heaviest duty' Sears Crafstman Garden Tractor, meant to do 'ground engagement' But, essentially, it's a heavy duty Riding Mower that we can use implements with.

Our red clay gets rock-hard unless it's maintained better. If we let it get wet then bone-dry, our landscape rake doesn't dig in enough. What I like about the Arena Rascal Pro is that it has the option of using scarifer teeth to loosen hard-pan...then you can switch to the uniform 'blade' that cuts across.....plus it has the "grooming/leveling".

And yes, someday, i'd love to afford a real arena and real footing, but for now, I can school on our clay/dirt arena just fine It's 100 x 225 ft....and nice and flat. Just not "all weather"

Looking for feedback from anyone here who maintains thier arena w/ these types of products. (or am I the only one that doesn't have a real tractor?

jodyb
Jul. 20, 2010, 07:05 PM
Thanks Fancy That. Lots of good info here.

gumtree
Jul. 22, 2010, 09:26 PM
Unfortunately I don't think you will find anything of merit that will do what you want using a 17 hp garden tractor. Especially with hard pan clay. Tractor Supply has a small version, 4 x 4 of the heavy "chain" drags that we use on our sand ring. But they cost like $300 and will not dig up hard pan.

Kate66
Jul. 23, 2010, 12:36 PM
If it's a regular Lawnmower, from experience, it will not pull a drag. We have a 20HP lawn tractor and it cannot pull the drag on the arena. Even though our small tractor is only 28HP it has no issue - they are just set up completely differently have are different weights.

The tractor supply chain thing, will not be pulled by your lawn tractor and doesn't have teeth for digging - been there, tried it, took it back.

JetsBuddy
Jul. 23, 2010, 12:40 PM
We modified an existing homemade drag at our barn which is essentially 2 tires side by side on a chain towed by a 2x4 vehicle (similar to a Gator). The tires were fine for smoothing/leveling but didn't work to soften up any hard footing. Hubby drilled holes and used long bolts with lock washers to dig in. Pulls easy and works great plus I didn't have to buy a new drag, just used the owner's existing one (owner gave permission to modify the drag). We'll replace the bolts when they wear out.

CrossWinds81
Jul. 23, 2010, 09:51 PM
What about this?

http://www.tritonbarns.com/arena_groomers.php

ReSomething
Jul. 23, 2010, 10:27 PM
The arena drag my trainer uses is another home made job, cattle panel with a heavy timber for a weight and spikes. It can be towed with the riding lawnmower but she only uses it in her indoor so it doesn't need to really work at breaking up hardened soil.

egontoast
Jul. 25, 2010, 07:11 AM
Unfortunately I don't think you will find anything of merit that will do what you want using a 17 hp garden tractor. Especially with hard pan clay. Tractor Supply has a small version, 4 x 4 of the heavy "chain" drags that we use on our sand ring. But they cost like $300 and will not dig up hard pan.

Agree.

It's not the weight of the drag itself that is the problem but the power needed to drag it through stuff to loosen packed areas, break up grass or even just to pull through sand.

jodyb
Jul. 25, 2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks for all your input. My husband made me a homemade harrow, a 4 ft wide 6x6, wheels on the end, and big bolts screwed in to the bottom that I can adjust for depth. It couldn't still get thru the hard pan, as you all predicted :), so I hired an arena guy on Friday. He used a rototiller on the front of his bobcat and tilled to a depth of 2 inches, deep enough to till the sand, but not too deep to till the base. Now that it's tilled I can use the home made harrow to keep it up for a while and I'm a happy camper.