PDA

View Full Version : Chemists: Can I mix different brands of flyspray into one bottle?

Sing Mia Song
Jul. 20, 2010, 10:25 AM
I have three nearly empty bottles of flyspray--empty enough that the sprayer doesn't really spray properly, but enough that my cheepie self just Can't. Bear. to throw away.

The brands are:

Tri-Tech 14:

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS:
Cypermethrin, CAS #52315-07-8: 0.15%
Pyrethrins, CAS #8003-34-7: 0.20%
Piperonyl Butoxide Technical*, CAS #51-03-6: 1.60%
Butoxy Polypropylene Glycol, CAS #9003-13-8: 5.00%
OTHER INGREDIENTS: 93.05%

*Equivalent to 1.28% (butylcarbityl)(6-propylpiperonyl) ether and 0.32% of related compounds.

UltraShield

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS:

Permethrin: 0.5% Piperonyl Butoxide, Technical: 1.00% Pyrethrins: 0.1%

And an off-brand that is 0.5% Permetherin.

I don't think I'll be creating toxic clouds if I blend these three, but will I be unwittingly rendering them useless or causing any other general disarray?

Curb Appeal
Jul. 20, 2010, 10:32 AM
I don't know about the mixing, but when this happens to me I pour a bit of the remnants on a rag and use it to wipe on around the face and ears. Practical and less waste.

aspenlucas
Jul. 20, 2010, 11:11 AM
I agree with Curb Appeal. I dont' think I'd mix it. I'd just put it on a rag.

horsetales
Jul. 20, 2010, 11:14 AM
Its not just the active ingredients that may cause a problem when mixed. I would stay away from mixing. No telling what the inactives are and how they would interact with each other

Peggy
Jul. 20, 2010, 12:26 PM
You're probably OK WRT toxic clouds, or lack thereof. If some are water-based and others are oil-based, you might have mixing issues. I would be most concerned about how they might interact with each other plus the horse's skin. A local tack store used to make up their own concoction by mixing a couple of different things. Worked great. After a few years, some horses developed skin irritations that were thought maybe to be a result of the spray. But it did take a few years...

Dumping onto a rag and wiping would probably be the safest option if you have a horse who tends to react to stuff.

Little Valkyrie
Jul. 20, 2010, 02:38 PM
Everyone likes an explosion. Pour 'em together and see what happens.

Peggy
Jul. 20, 2010, 04:00 PM
Little Valkyrie - this one's for you - Brainiacs play with alkali metals.

I suspect that fly spray manufacturers are required to idiot test their products, including mixing them...

Sing Mia Song
Jul. 20, 2010, 04:43 PM
You're probably OK WRT toxic clouds, or lack thereof. If some are water-based and others are oil-based, you might have mixing issues. I would be most concerned about how they might interact with each other plus the horse's skin. A local tack store used to make up their own concoction by mixing a couple of different things. Worked great. After a few years, some horses developed skin irritations that were thought maybe to be a result of the spray. But it did take a few years...

Dumping onto a rag and wiping would probably be the safest option if you have a horse who tends to react to stuff.

Peggy, you were the exact person I had in mind while posting this!

Of course, the whole time I was considering this subject, I couldn't help remembering the Simpsons' episode where Bart steals Martin Price's Standard of Learning test and gets erroneously placed in a gifted and talented school, where the student are allowed to do lab experiments unsupervised.

Just as Bart is about to mix the contents of two test tubes, a teacher says to him, "You know what happens when we mix acids and bases, don't you, Bart?"

"Of course I do, what do you think I am, an idiot?"

KaBOOM!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

jcotton
Jul. 20, 2010, 09:57 PM
Simple Remedy!
Refill your near empty spray bottles with more of what was originally in them to start.
Or do what some of the previous posters said.
I wouldn't be mixing stuff---Dangerous!!!!
In other words, quit being a tightwad (tighta$$) and buy a 1 gallon refill.

bird4416
Jul. 21, 2010, 08:10 AM
I mix stuff sometimes and haven't had an explosion yet. And no skin irritations either. If they are all either water based or oil based, you should be fine.

Little Valkyrie
Jul. 21, 2010, 10:34 AM
Peggy- That video is fabulous :lol:

Acertainsmile
Jul. 21, 2010, 10:38 AM
Or, get yourself a really good sprayer. I use one from Home Depot (cheap)... just a gray bottle... never clogs and sprays till the last drop.

I also agree with dumping the excess on a rag and using a rag to wipe.