PDA

View Full Version : Why do goats poop in their water?

aspenlucas
Jul. 19, 2010, 11:28 PM
Ok maybe this is more a vent. We raise a small herd of Oberhasli and Nubian goats. Why is it no matter WHERE I put their water, they poop in it. And problem is, if you put it higher then their bum, they can't get their head into it. Anyone else have this problem? And if there is one small goat raisinette in the water, they will not touch it all day long. They will dehydrate before they drink. I think it will drive me insane. We are installing an automatic waterer outside. Hoping to find a place where they won't shove their rears up against it!

Pixie Dust
Jul. 19, 2010, 11:47 PM
I'm sorry, but goats are dumber than a sack of hammers. If they had to live in the "wild" they'd last less than 24 hours.

DebbieB
Jul. 20, 2010, 12:06 AM
My goats (Alpine) have pooped in the big water tank, mostly when they were in a pen in the barn during the winter, but they would still drink it.

They almost never poop in the flat-backed bucket that is up close to the electric fence, or the big square feed pan with water about a foot from the fence, when they are on pasture.

Maybe it's the Nubians doing it, they are usually obnoxiously noisy, maybe pooping in the water and then refusing to drink is another breed trait.

heatherny2
Jul. 20, 2010, 12:26 AM
Because goats are the spawn of the devil..and were put here to kill us all!!! :eek: Seriously..they are evil!!
ok, so I have my own issues with goats, but really...pooping in the water, that is just the tip of the iceberg...watch out, they will wait for you to clean out the water and then....head down and head butt, right to the rear!!! :lol:

Everythingbutwings
Jul. 20, 2010, 08:25 AM
Goats poop everywhere, period.

kookicat
Jul. 20, 2010, 08:29 AM
Because they can. :lol:

Zu Zu
Jul. 20, 2010, 08:30 AM
While these goats or all goats mentionned sound weird or dumb as
"sticks" :eek: perhaps placing the water tank / buckets up on a pad so they have to walk up to put their heads into the water ~BUT on a pad not :no: wide enough to stand on -turn around and poop... just idea from a person who has always wanted a goat BUT thanks to this thread will never have a goat ~ :lol:

aspenlucas
Jul. 20, 2010, 09:12 AM
While these goats or all goats mentionned sound weird or dumb as
"sticks" :eek: perhaps placing the water tank / buckets up on a pad so they have to walk up to put their heads into the water ~BUT on a pad not :no: wide enough to stand on -turn around and poop... just idea from a person who has always wanted a goat BUT thanks to this thread will never have a goat ~ :lol:

You know THAT is an idea..if they had to walk up, they probably wouldn't turn around and poop, and if they did well then they are just evil! Seriously I LOVE my goats. We have a well contained area that they stay IN! Imagine that. LOL. They don't poop in the water outside, but all the goats in the stall dump in their buckets and then look at me like I'm an idiot! Actually the Oberhaslis are the worst. I think goats are incredibly smart creatures but kind of like cats, they do what they want, when they want. We are currently waiting on Saanen/Nubian kids, our only Saanen, and I am so excited!

I just wondered if anyone else has water bucket pooping goats and how you managed it.

msj
Jul. 20, 2010, 09:44 AM
Because they can. :lol:

Yes, and it's the very same reason that some horses poop in their water buckets. :D

I've got a horse that used to do it pretty regularly if he was shut in his stall over night, but fortunately our winters aren't that bad that I need to shut him in for more than a couple days at a time. Course that doesn't stop him from hitting the bucket in the summer either. :sigh: Since my buckets are the insulated ones that are bolted to the wall, I cannot move it. I did have said boarded late one summer when I had 2 surgery's on both hands and the BO tried moving his bucket to different spots to no avail. He'd find it everytime. :rolleyes:

CB/TB
Jul. 20, 2010, 07:31 PM
That's why I have a normal 100 gal Rubbermaid tank for everyone- 1 horse/3 goats. I have a cement block on its side as a step for the goats. I also have an "overflow' bucket right against the tub to catch overflow when I fill the tub. i also have a small bucket in the goat stall that they use now and then, prefering to drink from the "big girls' " trough. what I can't stand is when they poop in their feed dishes- usually before they finish the pittance of grain they get at night then start whining that they're starving, AFTER they walk alll over the hay and then EWWW" We can't eatTHAT! tHEY are CUTE, THOUGH.

aspenlucas
Jul. 20, 2010, 09:29 PM
But a 100 gallon tub would not be an option. When you have "kids" around, you don't want the risk of them drowning, even a 5 gallon bucket in the stall can drown a kid. :( I thought there was an easy answer!

And I'm sure horses poop in their buckets because they itch their rears!

suz
Jul. 20, 2010, 09:45 PM
same reason the chicken crossed the road, i guess...

winfieldfarm
Jul. 20, 2010, 10:07 PM
could you mount the buckets outside their inclosure with a head hole. Goat pokes head out to drink but would have to have really good aim to shoot pellets through the hole. of course if they succeed at the latter, you may have a strange circus act on your hands that could make you lots of fast cash.

Guilherme
Jul. 20, 2010, 10:26 PM
Ok maybe this is more a vent. We raise a small herd of Oberhasli and Nubian goats. Why is it no matter WHERE I put their water, they poop in it. And problem is, if you put it higher then their bum, they can't get their head into it. Anyone else have this problem? And if there is one small goat raisinette in the water, they will not touch it all day long. They will dehydrate before they drink. I think it will drive me insane. We are installing an automatic waterer outside. Hoping to find a place where they won't shove their rears up against it!

'Cause they're goats?!?!?!?! :lol:

Ever watch goat mating rituals? Not for the faint of heart, or overly squeemish, I can tell you. :eek:

Goats are what they are. They are marginally smarter than sheep, but are not the "rocket scientists" of the animal kingdom. :)

G.

Megaladon
Jul. 22, 2010, 08:22 AM
I have only had one goat (as a rescue) and I think they are freakin' smart!! You can't get nuthin' past my goat! :lol: (I even trained her to "levade"--so funny)

I will agree with whoever said they are the spawn of Satan--my goats nickname is Evil.

Sometimes she will poo in her bucket--but its a small one that is easily dumped. I think what happens is they just poo everywhere (anytime) and don't think about where it lands, but sometimes I think my goat does it just to MAKE me clean it.

Sorry for no help--I only have one goat and she is a handful--don't know how you do it with more :lol: