PDA

View Full Version : Deer flies...

Dawnd
Jul. 19, 2010, 03:05 PM
Any ideas on reducing deer fly populations?

I've searched online and have only found that they like movement, the color blue and they tend to bombard the highest point like your head.

Driving up my driveway is like a deer fly horror movie - I have to get up the nerve to get out of the car as the swarm of near 20 deer flies fly in formation just outside my driver side window.

We are slowly pushing back the woods around our house but any other suggestions on ways to combat these awful "predators"?

paintjumper
Jul. 19, 2010, 04:17 PM
for "trolling deer fly trap". I have done this for the last 4 years and it SIGNIFICANTLY has decreased the deer flies around here. We live on a river so we had them very bad for a while but every year you can tell they are less and less. I just use the plastic blue "dixie" cups and ride around the area slowly on my golf cart.

Nezzy
Jul. 19, 2010, 04:30 PM
they love humidity. EVIL creatures. good luck to you.

cranky
Jul. 19, 2010, 04:37 PM
UGH, I think I hate the deer flies more than anything. Trail riding is impossible up here right now because of them.

twofatponies
Jul. 19, 2010, 04:49 PM
They're almost done for the year!! Hang in there! I saw a drop-off today and yesterday. According to my record (!) the population usually plummets towards the end of July.

Then the face flies start biting, but that's another story. :D

Twiliath
Jul. 19, 2010, 08:22 PM
Google for the "Horse Pal". It's a biting fly trap that uses no chemicals. Also, Rutgers University has a DIY version.

goeslikestink
Jul. 20, 2010, 01:52 AM
try this it works

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104176