PDA

View Full Version : Yellow jackets nesting in the lip of my water trough

IFG
Jul. 19, 2010, 11:27 AM
So, if you know the Rubber Maid water troughs, they have a lip and some nice cozy areas where there is reinforcement. A family of yellow jackets moved in. I evicted them with a high power hose and destroyed the nest, but they are back. I set a yellow jacket trap nearby, but they could not care less. What can I do to deter nesting in that area that will not be toxic for my horse?

Thanks!

baysngreys
Jul. 19, 2010, 12:37 PM
I had a problem one year with Black Widow spiders setting up house keeping under the lip of the tubs.
After blasting them away, dumping and scrubbing the tub, I liberally smeared Swat under the lip all the way around.
Detered the spider, ants, flies and the mud wasps we get here.

Just be careful you only apply UNDER the lip so you don't deter the horses too!

IFG
Jul. 19, 2010, 12:52 PM
Great idea. I can't use the wasp spray because I'll poison the horse. Swat is a great idea.

Aggie4Bar
Jul. 19, 2010, 01:00 PM
Try filling it in with a foam product? :confused: I don't know how that would be done without making a fantastic mess, but short of filling it in somehow, there's probably not a permenant solution.

I haven't found anything under the lip of my troughs, but I've been finding black widows under my water trough in the trussing/reinforcement on the bottom. I also had an upside down feed pan half buried in my compost pile with no gaps around the lip housing a very fat and healthy widow spider underneath. What they manage to eat under there is a mystery.

2DogsFarm
Jul. 19, 2010, 01:07 PM
What Aggie4bar said: the spray-in foam insulation should work.
You'll have to drain & flip the tub to fill the lip but it should deter further nesting.

I open my porch umbrella every week just to make sure nothing has setup housekeeping there.
Also inspect my trailer's horse compartment and under the GN.

Eventer55
Jul. 19, 2010, 01:11 PM
Great idea. I can't use the wasp spray because I'll poison the horse. Swat is a great idea.

Why would you poison the horse? I use the wasp spray all the time. Spray the nest and kill all the wasps so they don't come back or nest somewhere else. Then dump the water and wash the area and tank, refill tank and voila. . .

:mad:I will kill any and all wasps or yellow jackets. I had wasp sting my 30 yr old gelding when he went to eat and I declared war. All nests were sprayed and killed off. I won't tolerate my horses being stung and then confused and frightened. My poor gelding was then afraid of his grain bucket:no:

I also had Black Widows, zero tolerance here too!

I will add that if you don't kill them, they will come back or nest somewhere else nearby. And I should tell you that the wasp spray works INSTANTLY, I mean instantly. They fall to the ground dead and you can immediately remove the nest and clean. I've been using it for years around the house.

IFG
Jul. 19, 2010, 01:24 PM
Why would you poison the horse? I use the wasp spray all the time. Spray the nest and kill all the wasps so they don't come back or nest somewhere else. Then dump the water and wash the area and tank, refill tank and voila. . .

:mad:I will kill any and all wasps or yellow jackets. I had wasp sting my 30 yr old gelding when he went to eat and I declared war. All nests were sprayed and killed off. I won't tolerate my horses being stung and then confused and frightened. My poor gelding was then afraid of his grain bucket:no:

I also had Black Widows, zero tolerance here too!

I will add that if you don't kill them, they will come back or nest somewhere else nearby. And I should tell you that the wasp spray works INSTANTLY, I mean instantly. They fall to the ground dead and you can immediately remove the nest and clean. I've been using it for years around the house.

I think that something needs to stay there to deter them coming back. That's why I am looking for something non-toxic to leave there. The spray foam should work. I have a bunch of cans around the house.

Trakehner
Jul. 19, 2010, 01:33 PM
The spray on foam insulation can work, just trim it so the horses won't nibble on the new taste sensation.

I got stung Saturday. I was under the gooseneck of my trailer after having the truck/trailer charge batteries. An instant "Ow, Ow Ow" pain in my hand. Luckily I didn't jump straight up (I was under the gooseneck after all). I looked up where the end of the plug went...a 5" diameter nest. Emptied the can of "Bloody Wasp no More" and went about discovering whether profanity helps the pain (it does).

I kill wasps/hornets whenver and wherever I can...no reason to let them live.

Eventer55
Jul. 19, 2010, 01:44 PM
I think that something needs to stay there to deter them coming back. That's why I am looking for something non-toxic to leave there. The spray foam should work. I have a bunch of cans around the house.

I found that when you use the wasp spray, it kills the nest and all the wasps that are in the nest at that time. If they're dead, they can't return. If there is one or two out of the nest when you spray, they will circle for a minute and then leave. I usually spray them at this time, but if not I've never had them try to renest.

I felt so bad about my gelding because he's so sweet, I guess that's why I'm a little rabid and adamant about killing them.

Aggie4Bar
Jul. 19, 2010, 02:03 PM
I looked up where the end of the plug went...a 5" diameter nest. Emptied the can of "Bloody Wasp no More" and went about discovering whether profanity helps the pain (it does). Sorry about the sting. Have to say though, as much as I hate wasps, I'd be a little excited finding a 5" diameter nest. The larvae make great bait for fishing. It's strangely satisfying to put a hook through a nearly fully delevoped wasp and participating in its demise even if the fish gets away.

rmh_rider
Jul. 19, 2010, 05:31 PM
Yes, I declared war on the fly stinging wasps, hornets, and borer bees. This is a very serious matter for us and our beloved animals.

Borer Bees I use the longest shooting, cheapest wasp spray. I hear them, I shoot them. This is the only way to triumph over borer bees. I used wd-40, horse fly spray, and unless you get it right on their bodies, doesn't work like wasp spray. Wasp spray knocks them down immediately, also it will kill any larva they have laid. Yes!

Some wasps I will use the wasp spray on also, if it is where I can't spray them with my ULTIMATE secret weapon, which everybody SHOULD have on hand.

Fly spray. Yes, your horses fly spray. Make sure it has pyrethrin in it at a good strong level.

I have those plastic yellow caps on all my T posts. Those crazy flying stinging critters LOVE to nest under them and it is such a tiny space too, that is ok, the others can hang out in the trees nearby. I had horses scared of the T posts. So what you do is you walk out the fence lines, the neighbors if they see you will think you are nuts, and you look under each and every plastic yellow cap. If you see some bugs, give them a few shots of fly spray up in the cap. Works every time.

Wasps are scent insects. Unless you remove the nest the pheromones will invite other wasps there to live. It is like a welcome mat, come in, this is a safe place. What I do if it is on a bucket, or water trough, is I kill the offenders, remove the nest, and then use rubbing alcohol to clean the area. Bleach and water works well too. No horses are harmed.

Every time I dump the water troughs I checked under the lip of the trough before putting MY hand under there. Then I look closely under the trough to see if there are any offending spiders, ie black widows or brown recluse. I get a stick or rock and kill any black widows, their egg sacks, and any males hanging around. ANY other spider I leave alone.

Just this early spring we had a huge swarm of bee's. And not the tame little honey bee. They were swarming one area of our house. I could hear them buzzing in the walls. They were trying to live in a gutter. I couldn't reach them, so I went upstairs with my trusty fly spray, and sprayed them through a window with a screen. I lucked out I was able to have access right where they were. The wind carried it to them, and wow did they drop, and leave immediately forever. Had already called the termite people who said, that will be LOTS more money to remove them. I got what I had at the moment. Fly spray. Repel - 35 by bio-groom to be exact. It doesn't have too strong or chemicals either.

I am the chief and queen of removal of all stinging wasps at our farm. My husband is allergic, so that leaves me with the duty. I have learned my prey well. They never attacked me for some reason, not yet. Maybe I smell like fly spray!! I have also had to kill some on the fence in the honeysuckle, and I got my husband to drive me out in the truck and I rolled the window down and sprayed. Then we just drove off. My horses were scared to death to go to that part of the pasture. Once the nest was dead, I was riding out there and my horse looked at the area saw the dead nest and poor thing he spooked. He was scared of the wasps that used to live there. So I took him back to the barn and later that day went and removed the nest. They remember. But will get over it and move on.

I want my animals to be safe. Don't forget, remove the scent of the wasps so no others move in.

paintjumper
Jul. 19, 2010, 07:01 PM
Just add a little dish soap to a glass of water and toss to soak them, no poison and they drop IMMEDIATELY and die within a few minutes.

mp
Jul. 19, 2010, 07:38 PM
Just add a little dish soap to a glass of water and toss to soak them, no poison and they drop IMMEDIATELY and die within a few minutes.

Oh my. Our wasps must be much tougher than yours. Fly/wasp spray will knock them down, but won't kill them. And the ones that aren't knocked down are really p!ssed off. The only thing I've found to be 100% effective is gasoline. You get a long-handled dipper, fill with gasoline, throw it on the nest and run like hell. What isn't killed by the gas, are done in by the fumes.

Don't smoke while you're doing this. ;)

paintjumper
Jul. 19, 2010, 10:44 PM
I have killed HORNETS ( yeah those RED/BLACK bastards that HURT, HURT!) over my gazibo door next to the arena with soapy water. It does something to their breathing...I forget what, but it does kill them right away. Try it, I promise!

Guilherme
Jul. 19, 2010, 11:55 PM
Spray 'em at night (use a flashlight to help you out) and you'll get them all. Jet spray types are OK, but a good alternative is Raid YardGuard. If th jet spray is a rifle, the YardGuard is a shotgun for stinging beasties.

G.

JanM
Jul. 20, 2010, 08:45 AM
For yellow jacket stings I use an After Bite stick (it's sold at the drug store pharmacy section, and is ammonia in a little tube). And one time when I ran out of After Bite I used windex (it has ammonia in it)-of course, it was soon after I saw "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". I find the wasp spray very effective, but I do knock the nest down as soon as possible because they look so bad.

Good timing on this topic-I just went out and checked and a single wasp was trying to get a nest started, and there was a smaller one at the corner of the eaves. I think wasps like to build in the same place over and over. I'll have to keep an eye on the porch ceiling corners.

ANd it's also a great reminder to check your supplies of sprays and bite remedies.

msj
Jul. 20, 2010, 10:15 AM
I had one horse that I just brought home and within about 2 days he came in just covered in pie plate sized welts. :( :( I think I must have rolled on a ground nest. He was a mess and it took a while to get him healed. :(

So, as a result, Raid Wasp and Hornet spray and I are very good friends. :D About once a month I spray the edge of the overhang along the entire length of the barn (100 ft) just to make sure they don't decide to nest.

I have 3-rail post and rail fence and they love to try to nest where I have an end post especially so when I go check the fence line for possible broken posts, I take a couple of cans of Raid with me just in case. They also love to nest in the pipe gates. I've tried in the past to shove a 1.5" piece of styrofoam up there and caulk the ends in hopes that it stops them but the styrofoam often falls out OR they build right at the edges of the gate where the fence manufacturer left a weep hole. So, when I'm opening or shutting a gate and realize they've been nesting, I just grab my Raid and DEAD they go :D :D :D

2DogsFarm
Jul. 21, 2010, 02:36 PM
See?
This thread jinxed me!
I checked my GN last evening and it was clear, but right under the place the awning attaches to the trailer is a nice-sized nest complete with ooey-gooey larval wasps-to-be :mad:

Their time is limited. A Stop at Ace Hardware this morning and this evening at dusk All Shall DIE!!!!!!
MuaHaHahaHa :D

I'll also empty the can inside the horse compartment...just in case...

For anyone concerned about poison spray, Meier carries a spray based on peppermint oil that knocks the little bastids D-E-A-D immediately and smells pretty good too.
I can't recall the brand name, but it comes in a bright yellow aerosol can.
I use this one on the overhangs at the barn so poison doesn't drip onto the horses.