PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tires

Mudroom
Jul. 19, 2010, 09:24 AM
I assume this has been discussed, but I can't find it.

What brands of trailer tires have people had good or bad luck with? It seems you can find horror stories on the internet about just about every brand.

I have historically used Goodyear Marathons and have had pretty good luck with them. I have a 2H GN straight load. It has ST225/75R15's. I would like to upgrade to a load range E but Marathons do not come heavier than a D in that size. Would be nice to upgrade to 16's but I don't want to buy 5 tires and 5 wheels. All I need right now is 2 tires. Suggestions?

Almost Heaven
Jul. 19, 2010, 07:06 PM
Brand irrelevant, rating is important. What's the ply rating on your present tires? If you can upgrade ply (or ply rating) and load capacity on the present rim size, that's your best best. And a passenger tire is NOT SUITABLE.

2bee
Jul. 19, 2010, 10:50 PM
Brand irrelevant, rating is important. What's the ply rating on your present tires? If you can upgrade ply (or ply rating) and load capacity on the present rim size, that's your best best. And a passenger tire is NOT SUITABLE.

Nonsense. If you buy a quality tire of the appropriate load capacity there is no reason to have to "upgrade ply".

Of course if you think brand is irrelevant and buy cheap chinese tires, then yeah you better get the highest ply you can find.

To answer the OP question; any thing not chinese....Maxxis, Denman, or Goodyear Marathons (if you can find ones made in the USA) would all be fine with me.

2bee
Jul. 20, 2010, 09:14 AM
Side note;

If your trailer has 3500# axles another option would be a LT235/75/15 load range C tire. Use of a LT tire in the 16" wheel size is common place, less so in the 15" due to lack of selection or space in the fender well. At your tire size the slight size difference should be no problem, unless your tires are already buried in the fenders.

The LT235 size is rated at ~1985lbs at 50 psi, yes that is less than the ST load range D you have. However, LT tires are made to considerably higher specifications than a ST tire. Without going into too much detail of the testing, a key point; The LT tire will be rated to carry it's load at 100mph or better (vs 65 for the ST). That itself is a significant indication of the strength of the LT tire.

Tom King
Jul. 20, 2010, 04:52 PM
For me, in Load Range D: Goodyear Marathon

In Load Range E: Michelin XPS rib

Others may be fine, but I have no need to change what I've been using without any issues.

wsmoak
Jul. 20, 2010, 05:19 PM
You can get E's in that size, just perhaps not Goodyear.

But if you do, you'll probably need new rims -- it's unlikely your current ones are rated for 80 PSI.

I used to like Titan, but apparently their quality and customer service went downhill according to my tire place and I was warned away from them. Anecdotally, the one tire we blew on the AZ to GA trip was a Titan.

My current set is Greenball Towmaster and I'm happy with them -- though it looks like they fail Tom's test: http://www.greenball.com/about.asp

My next trailer will have 16" wheels, even if it's only a 2 horse!

Foxtrot's
Jul. 20, 2010, 05:39 PM
No expert here - but just don't get talked into light truck tires - they are not up to the job as a friend of mine found out when one blew and she was in the ditch with her horse up to his chest in water.

Hubby and I believe in buying the best tires you can afford and changing them when they have done enough miles or been sitting in the sun too long. (Trailer-guy tells me when and what to buy).

2bee
Jul. 20, 2010, 07:37 PM
No expert here - but just don't get talked into light truck tires - they are not up to the job as a friend of mine found out when one blew and she was in the ditch with her horse up to his chest in water.

Hubby and I believe in buying the best tires you can afford and changing them when they have done enough miles or been sitting in the sun too long. (Trailer-guy tells me when and what to buy).

Obviously. Your ONE friend blew ONE tire and from that you determine "they are not up to the job".......good one. If LT tires aren't up to the job, they must make them different in Canada. :rolleyes:

IslandGirl
Jul. 21, 2010, 07:41 AM
I have two virtually brand-new Goodyear Marathon tires on my two-horse trailer; they were replaced LAST YEAR, the trailer is NOT parked on grass or dirt, and I'm very good about making sure tire pressure is correct before hauling. The tires show NO dry rot at all, but on BOTH of them the tread has separated from the sidewall. I will NEVER EVER buy Goodyear Marathons again. I'm looking to switch to a Load Range C LT tire; have NOT had good luck with Marathon tires. Just a note, though: the Load Range E Goodyear tires (not Marathons) on my 5-horse trailer have been great.

2bee
Jul. 21, 2010, 08:08 AM
I have two virtually brand-new Goodyear Marathon tires on my two-horse trailer; they were replaced LAST YEAR, the trailer is NOT parked on grass or dirt, and I'm very good about making sure tire pressure is correct before hauling. The tires show NO dry rot at all, but on BOTH of them the tread has separated from the sidewall. I will NEVER EVER buy Goodyear Marathons again. I'm looking to switch to a Load Range C LT tire; have NOT had good luck with Marathon tires. Just a note, though: the Load Range E Goodyear tires (not Marathons) on my 5-horse trailer have been great.

Marathons were made (mostly) in the USA, then in china, now supposedly back in the USA. The china made had problems.....go figure.

Any chance you know the country of manufacture on your two?

Mudroom
Jul. 21, 2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the responses, both here and PM's. I have some Maxxis tires on order.

cssutton
Jul. 21, 2010, 11:38 PM
Goodyears are crap.

Put Michelin LT 10 ply rated, run at 60 pounds or more and you will not have any trouble with tires.

CSSJR

Foxtrot's
Jul. 22, 2010, 05:01 PM
Gee - 2Bs - are you sarcastic, or what?