PDA

View Full Version : Barn design -shedrow?

twcolabear
Jul. 19, 2010, 03:31 AM
What do you guys think of shedrow style barns?

I'm looking at a property that isn't too big and on one side the neighbor has weird looking buildings with emus and llamas. So since I don't have much room and to block the view of the neighbor I'm thinking a shedrow barn for 4 stalls and tackroom along the fence line and that will allow for small arena in front of the shedrow and will leave me some room for turnout area a little ways down. I only have 1-2 acres to work with. But a small arena or roundpen is important to me.

What do you guys think? Is a shedrow a way to go?

DiablosHalo
Jul. 19, 2010, 09:08 AM
Not sure what the setup would be or what area you are in- but be sure to face the shedrow barn the correct way (back to prevailing winds). It would stink if you put $x money into a shedrow barn along property line- only to find the wind, rain, snow blows into it!

I'd have a big over hang in the front. If you can post a map - we can help with layout!

carolprudm
Jul. 19, 2010, 09:23 AM
It really depends on your climate. Around here I wouldn't do it without a serious overhang

shawneeAcres
Jul. 19, 2010, 09:51 AM
I have a GREAT shedrow barn we designed and built. You can see the barn during constrution and afterwards at this link:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/569459911nWMeoO

We have "drop down" windows in back allowing the barn to be fully ventilated yet can put up windows in cold or wet weather. Unless the wind blows VERY HARD we do not have a problem with rain getting into the barn. In our hot, humid climate this barn is wonderful. And even in very cold bitter Nor-easters (which we get plenty of) it works great!

Aggie4Bar
Jul. 19, 2010, 11:46 AM
I love shedrow barns. There are a bunch of them around here that are just loverly. But then, we have no real winter season and only the occasional snow, which doesn't stick. I would probably think twice about it in an area that experiences a real winter with abundant snow and ice.

twcolabear
Jul. 19, 2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks for your replies guys!

I'm in Northern California, so snow isn't an issue, but wind and rain is.

I like the idea of posting a picture and get suggestions for layout. I will do that soon.

shawneeAcres that is a very interesting idea, I like that you can open or close as needed
Anyone else have shedrows? pros and cons?

mellsmom
Jul. 19, 2010, 01:24 PM
I have one stall that has a totally open front like a run in with a pipe gate that i can close it off with.... excpet right now I have round pen panels attached to it cause it's the DONKEH HOUZE right now. I have a nice 5 foot overhang.... but honestly I wish I had a 12 foot over hang because I have some serious MUD. I have rubber stall mats under the over which helps some..... I have dutch doors in the front and back of each stall. When it snows like last winter i did get some snow in the stalls..... but it wasn't unbearable. I have a 12 x 8 tack room and adjacent 12 x 4 hay storage area that stores about 35 bales of hay. i built the stall dividers myself with parts from Woodstar products. I would also recommend that you get the metal nagles to cover the exposed wood of the run in if the guys will have access 24/7.

shawneeAcres
Jul. 19, 2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks for your replies guys!

I'm in Northern California, so snow isn't an issue, but wind and rain is.

I like the idea of posting a picture and get suggestions for layout. I will do that soon.

shawneeAcres that is a very interesting idea, I like that you can open or close as needed
Anyone else have shedrows? pros and cons?

FYI the dimensions of my barn are 100' x 20', stalls are 12 deep by 10' wide, so the overhang is 8 ft, which is plenty, even in a DRIVING wind the aisle gets wet but not the stalls. We have a 10 x 20' feed room on one end which acts as a wind break (that is the northern side)

Saidapal
Jul. 19, 2010, 08:21 PM
I have a 4 stall (12X12) shed row with a 12 X 24 feed/tack room on one end. I believe the barn total is 26'X66' I love my shed row. Since I'm in FL I built for cool, and there always seems to be a breeze blowing through the barn. I have regular stall doors in the front and dutch doors on the back. When it's hot I open the top and close them in the winter. I used to keep the stall doors opened but the goofs decided it was fun to run through the barn playing some sort of equine tag. Several times one would come flying from the back and one would come flying from the front and almost crash. Brats. To keep them from getting hurt I keep the stalls closed. They have plenty of shade and overhang. Plus this way I can keep the stalls clean for when I really need them. They pretty much stay out 24/7.

My barn faces N/S to keep the morning/evening sun out of the stalls. On the side facing south there is a 48X16 foot overhang and this is where they hang out in inclement weather. Seldom does the rain blow into the stalls.

So, that's my set up. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

judybigredpony
Jul. 19, 2010, 08:30 PM
I have both a center aisle barn and a shed row barn.
My mucker hates the shedrow barn. No matter how you do it we get wet when it rains mucking.

If I had to build one I would opt for the deepest possible overhand and put up good rails 3. And concrete in the posts so you can have a crosstie tack-up area with rubber mats. I would also have it set up with brackets and GFI outlets up high for fans. Make sure the ends have windows not just the back so you can take advantage of cross venilation not just blow thru.

Water pipe central not on one end.

Pennywell Bay
Jul. 19, 2010, 08:37 PM
I love my shed row but I would have put up an overhang but I honestly did not think about it. Mine is 48 x 12. Mine is set on stones, not in a pasture. At the time I had it built, it was what I could afford. I have GFIs in every stall and a removable wall in one to make a big foaling stall ( and a cut out window from the feed room so I can see into the stall).

wsmoak
Jul. 19, 2010, 08:42 PM
Here's a layout I like (L-shaped): http://www.horizonstructures.com/l-shaped-barns.asp

I still like shedrows, but there's another thread here in which I was talked out of it. :)

It doesn't snow here often, but we do get nasty cold and wet weather -- since barns are mostly for people, I'm building to keep the vet and farrier out of the elements!

twcolabear
Jul. 28, 2010, 05:46 AM
I like the look of L shape, but since turnout will be behind barn and I want to be able to see the horses from the house, L shape won't work. Thanks for the suggestion though

anyone else has a shedrow and wants to share pics?

SunkenMeadow
Jul. 28, 2010, 09:49 AM
Besides the bank barn I have a 4 stall shedrow barn that is set up differently. It has 2 12 x12 stalls a breezeway/grooming feed storage area (about 12x24) in the middle and another 2 12x12 stalls on the otherside. We have drop down windows all around it and we also have it so that the stall walls do not go all the way to the high ceilings. The ventilation is incredible... my older gelding is completely off his trihist. What I like the most is that the stalls have dutch doors that I can leave open and there is a 10 foot over hang as well as each stall has an attached corral (they are small) that then have gates out into a field. because of the breezeway in the middle they were able to have these little runouts. They are small, but the horses enjoy them and its a nice dry lot area when tehy cant be in the fields. If I want I can also leave the gates open to the field in case of inclement weather they can let themselves back in. I have to post some pictures...

Ozone
Jul. 28, 2010, 12:06 PM
I have a shed row barn. However, it is closed in on the "open" side because an indoor was put up off that side, same outlook.

8 stalls on each side, 2 tack rooms - 1 on each side. Run outs off the one side. I love it!!

Grasshopper
Jul. 28, 2010, 02:42 PM
Having lived in NorCal, and now being in FL where shedrows are very common, I think they are great in warm climates but you need to consider the following:

-shade (since it can be hot there in summer)
-prevailing winds/breezes (maximize summer ventilation)
-direction storms/rain usually move (esp. since it rains for 3 dang months at a time)

If I were going to build a shedrow barn, I'd make sure to have a deep overhang--12' probably. Depending on weather patterns and how you're able to site the barn, either another overhang on the opposite side (if horses have access to outside from stalls) or dutch doors. With dutch doors you can open the top doors to catch the breeze in the heat but close them to keep rain out in the winter. I'd also do top half bars rather than solid walls on the walls between the stalls to maximize your ventilation.

Are you anywhere near the Horsepark? When I was there I think the permanent trainer barns were shedrows and seemed to work really well. You could check them out for ideas and user feedback.

Bluey
Jul. 28, 2010, 05:32 PM
Shedrow barns work fine, many have them and love them, but if you think about it, barns are to keep your animals and yourself out of the weather and for that, well, common sense will tell you that center aisle barns will do that better than shedrow barns.:)

As for airflow, that will depend on the placing and design of the barn, shedrow or covered.
I have seen some very stuffy shedrow barns at racetracks and some extremely airy center aisle barns, that also had the advantage of the aisle being out of the sun, rain and snow.

If you are being practical and trying to use your money to give you as much cover as you can buy, center aisle will do that better.

As I said, you can make any and all kinds of barns work, if you like the feel of shedrow barns, why not?:yes: