PDA

View Full Version : How to market a farm for sale ???

PNWjumper
Jul. 19, 2010, 01:27 AM
So we FINALLY got our farm up on the market (it's "only" taken seven months of hard labor), and it's up on the regular places....the MLS, the Windemere web site, tourfactory.com, etc.

Are there any other websites that we should consider adding it to? We'll probably get it up on www.horseproperties.net, but there must be others out there geared towards horse people, and I thought the collective minds of COTH might have some ideas.

WingedPanda
Jul. 19, 2010, 04:53 AM
Throughout my farm hunt, I stalked craigslist and websites that pull from the MLS. I've also seen property fliers posted at feed and tack stores. Good luck selling your place! :yes:

JanM
Jul. 19, 2010, 07:38 AM
How about the Land & Country magazine (the name's something like that) and website? I hope you have lots of pictures on realtor.com--and if there's a local realtor insider website they need a great writeup and lots of pictures. Real shoppers are going to look at places with lots of great pictures, and are suspicious of places with a few or no pictures-and most of the out-of-towners start with realtor.com. And is there a local horse or farm magazine? Or Seattle pi with one overhead picture, or a few good ones of the house and barn in the big weekly realty section? In this market pricing and marketing are everything, and you seem to have a great start. SIt down with your DH and your realtor and decide what the lowest price you will sell for, and how many concessions you will make--you need to decide exactly what the bottom line or negotiating points you can live with. ANd since people will probably know you are moving they might try low ball offers since they think you're desperate.

msj
Jul. 19, 2010, 07:55 AM
Is it "fancy" or "unique" enough to advertise in the Chronicle? If so, you should ask the Realtor to consider posting ads there or in any local horse/farm magazines.

Also put up fliers at any local horse competitions you can get to.

Sparky Boy
Jul. 19, 2010, 12:09 PM
www.landandfarm.com
www.unitedcountry.com

Any local horse publications?

Kestrel
Jul. 19, 2010, 01:50 PM
I'm fairly local to you, and I know I've seen a "Homes and Land" type mag that was just horse properties, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name. I live in Bridle Trails, so I'll keep my eyes open when I go to the grocery and drug stores. I bet that's where I saw it. If it's not getting too personal, can we get the link to your MLS listing?

There's also Flying Changes. There are usually RE ads in there.

PNWjumper
Jul. 19, 2010, 03:40 PM
I'm fairly local to you, and I know I've seen a "Homes and Land" type mag that was just horse properties, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name. I live in Bridle Trails, so I'll keep my eyes open when I go to the grocery and drug stores. I bet that's where I saw it. If it's not getting too personal, can we get the link to your MLS listing?

There's also Flying Changes. There are usually RE ads in there.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

[edit]

I would love some feedback on it. The guy who did photos wasn't a horse guy, and I was too busy cleaning things up as he went through the house and barn to direct the pictures. My mom is our real estate agent and should have had him get some more pics (like more of the paddocks, and she forgot to have him send her the pictures he took of the tack room), but it's hard to be objective about your own place!

NSF
Jul. 19, 2010, 03:51 PM
Northwest Horse Source (the free magazine you can find at Cenex, tack shops, etc)

MistyBlue
Jul. 19, 2010, 04:30 PM
The photos are very nice, what a pretty little place you have there!

As a former Realtor who specialized in horse properties: add a photo of a stall interior and a photo of the paddocks.
If possible (or if you already have one) an aerial view is fantastic for farms.
More wording on the equine stuff because horse folks wiill want to know:
Close to trails? Location of trails?
Nearby show venues?
Hay storage/how many bale or ton storage.

For the house, a bathroom photo(s). Kitchens and baths sell homes the most. (Liking your kitchen, I have the same flat fron chocolate brown cabinets!) And if the sites allow another photo, add another kitchen angle so the worksapce is visible.

Good job stating the large 2nd bedroom is easily made into 2 bedrooms and the septic is for a 3 bedroom.

Otherwise the photog did a good job getting good angles, light and subjects for the shots. Your mom has it well written up also.

Good luck!

PNWjumper
Jul. 19, 2010, 09:40 PM
Great advice, MB!

We have photos of both bathrooms on the tourfactory.com website, but they weren't flattering enough to put on the MLS.

We do have several aerials of the property, but didn't use up one of the allotted 15 photos on the MLS because you can so easily pull an aerial up via Google Earth these days. But that's not a bad idea to add one to the tourfactory site where we're not limited.

I was also torn on having pictures of things like the big toy and the gazebo behind the house. I think we ought to have better pictures in the barn and another picture of the pastures instead.

I forgot about the trails. My mom asked me if we were close to any good trails (and we are), but obviously didn't remember to put it in. I never trail ride beyond post-workout walks on the rare day, so it wasn't something that even occurred to me to mentioned until she brought it up. I'll have to remind her to add it in.

Now we're in the sitting-and-waiting-for-people-to-look stage. I can't believe how hard it is to keep a house clean all of the time! Don't people realize that they just need to buy the place so I can get back to my regularly scheduled show season??? :lol:

PNWjumper
Jul. 19, 2010, 09:46 PM
Liking your kitchen, I have the same flat fron chocolate brown cabinets!

I meant to add that the photos you posted of your kitchen a while back on one of the Off Topic Days were a big part of why we went with the brown for the cabinets (which used to be a very unattractive stripy natural wood :dead:), so thank you for the inspiration! :)

Trixie
Jul. 20, 2010, 10:00 AM
I think it looks great - lots of nice clear photos - and it's clearly a nice house. What I like in farm photos are lots of pics of the barn and fields - it's a little hard for me to get an idea of how much turnout there is with just the two paddock pictures.

Moderator 1
Jul. 21, 2010, 07:46 AM
We removed the listing info for the property to comply with our no-advertising policies--please avoid discussing further details about the property for that reason as well.

Just a heads up, too, that the Chronicle is finalizing an all new online classifieds system that will debut this summer! :winkgrin: Stay tuned for details!

Thanks,
Mod 1

Kestrel
Jul. 21, 2010, 11:09 PM
I just got the prize list for the WSHJA fall shows, and it has a RE ad in it. I would take flyers up to Monroe and put then up on the Mon or Tues of Autumn Finals. The flyer can stay up for the other disciplines fall shows.

Maybe the program for the Evergreen Classic would be good too.

Good Luck with the sale. I'm currently in the process of selling my Mom's house (she passed away in March). They claim to have found beetle damage in the inspection yesterday, though Mr. Kestrel was under there looking and didn't see any. What a headache.