PDA

View Full Version : Finding old horse trailers

JohnDeere
Jul. 18, 2010, 08:35 AM
Though most rednecks round here use them for horses anyway Id like to find a 2 horse that is to unsafe for horses. I want to haul light stuff for camping in it like bikes. Any ideas? CL is not help--people still use them. :rolleyes:
Other ideas-uhaul trailers?

horseshrink
Jul. 18, 2010, 08:46 AM
Where are you located? I have an older two horse I am looking to get rid of. Don't think it's safe for horses, but it's light and easy to pull around. It's a bumper pull and an ugly forest green.

JohnDeere
Jul. 18, 2010, 08:59 AM
We have a Suburban so we can pull anythin BP. We are far from Ocala tho. Tks anyway.

philosoraptor
Jul. 18, 2010, 09:19 AM
You could try putting a "wanted" at up for one on CL and at local tack shops. You never know.

In my area a fixer-up horse trailer still may go for over $500-600. The ones so rusted out they're not able to be fixed-up have a good scrap metal value because they're so heavy. You may be better off looking for an older enclosed utility trailer.

Janet
Jul. 18, 2010, 09:29 AM
Where are you?

I have one which is sound, except that the rescue squad cut out the rear vertical support to extract a trapped horse. Not sure how structurally sound it is without it, but you could easily install a new support if you were not concerned about things like the connections for the center divide and the butt bars.

Gore 2 horse BP w dressing room.

JohnDeere
Jul. 18, 2010, 10:11 AM
I am near the WV/KY boarder.

Who knows where to find old utility trailers? Uhaul?

Or old pickup beds?

HeartofGlass
Jul. 18, 2010, 10:29 AM
I have one that isn't safe for horses, but I'm in St. Louis. We were going to take it in for scrap, but haven't gotten around to it.

Also, I'm thinking it would make an excellent chicken coop! So I might keep it for that. I decided not to sell it, because some doofus might still use it to haul livestock in the future, and that would be bad.

HeartofGlass
Jul. 18, 2010, 10:30 AM
Are you sure you can't find something on CL? I see all kinds of trailers on there all the time!

JohnDeere
Jul. 18, 2010, 10:40 AM
I see 1 on ebay--$100--to far from me but it looks like the wreck of the Hesperis.

CL has them but to much $ since they are still useable...

philosoraptor
Jul. 18, 2010, 11:07 AM
Who knows where to find old utility trailers? Uhaul?

Or old pickup beds?

CL!!! :) (I love my craigslist!)

They seem to be posted in the "farm+garden" section usually. Or you can just type "trailer" in on the front page and see what pops up. I see open & enclosed utility trailers of all sizes. I also do see the only pickup bed trailers and other home-made ones.

JohnDeere
Jul. 18, 2010, 01:07 PM
Try trailer on CL not in lawn/garden--

get trailer houses. Or 'will trade for good coon dog'.

Entertaning.

JohnDeere
Jul. 19, 2010, 09:58 PM
Should I just kee p checking ebay and CL and wait?

Does anyone know what old trailers bring as scrap?