PDA

View Full Version : Question for anyone who has travelled using an outfitter

Cartfall
Jul. 17, 2010, 07:45 PM
Okay, T-14 days and counting to our trip out to Idaho to ride Yellowstone. As I stated in an earlier thread 6 of us from Florida are venturing out to the mountains to ride with an outfitter on a horse pack ride for 5 days.

We have all our gear but we are unsure how to tip the wranglers? Is there any sort of percentage or dollars per day? No one I have talked has any one idea.

Thanks for your ideas.

lawndart
Jul. 21, 2010, 02:18 PM
It was clearly spelled out in their final bill (the one paid 30 days out from your start date) that a 18% Gratuity was included, so tips were not necessary, unless you wanted to go above and beyond.

OP, I know you are booked already, but I want to post this link for others.

This is where I went, I highly :Drecommend them: http://www.bearbasinadventures.com/index.php

The views were AMAZING, the horses were wonderful, the food terrific, and the living area much better than I had expected for the back country. It is probably the best vacation I've ever been on. :yes: I know I laughed more this past week, than I have for years. :lol:

WildBlue
Jul. 21, 2010, 03:47 PM
15 to 20% is in the ballpark for most tipping. It can go higher for exceptional service, but usually not much below 10% for 'meh' service unless you're really unhappy.

If the paperwork doesn't spell it out, once you're on site do have a quiet word with a senior person about what is typical. You might also inquire how tips are divided out. Some places, staff are required to split tips evenly between themselves and they may also have to give a cut to support people you don't meet or even to the stable owner. In those cases, what was meant to be a generous tip to an outstanding individual ends up in places the giver didn't intend.

cowboymom
Jul. 21, 2010, 11:25 PM
I agree with WB-talk to the head wrangler/owner if you want to specify where your money goes. Back in the day when I did this, you could pull your person aside and just slip them some cash and know you put it where you wanted it to be.