PDA

View Full Version : Really dirty hands - what do you use to scrub with?

Guin
Jul. 17, 2010, 05:43 PM
Actually, in my case, it's really dirty feet. :o I walk the dogs in tevas and my heels just get ground-in dirt that hardly any amount of scrubbing removes. It's embarrassing when I wear decent sandals to work.

What do you use on your hands/feet to get the deep-seated grunge off? Is there some sort of mechanic's soap that I could find?

rmh_rider
Jul. 17, 2010, 05:53 PM
Ivory bar soap and a fingernail brush or washcloth and elbow grease.

I wear shoes and socks to avoid that dirt and fungus. I hate stuff getting into my sandals, so I never wear sandals to the barn OR do yard work in them. It is a good way to get foot fungus with sandals, or how about some poison ivy, or a nail stuck in your toe?

threedogpack
Jul. 17, 2010, 06:00 PM
table sugar and liquid dish soap.

the table sugar acts as an abrasive but dissolves so won't clog up your sink and the dish soap is a deep cleaning formula.

ToiRider
Jul. 17, 2010, 06:02 PM
Actually, in my case, it's really dirty feet. :o I walk the dogs in tevas and my heels just get ground-in dirt that hardly any amount of scrubbing removes. It's embarrassing when I wear decent sandals to work.

What do you use on your hands/feet to get the deep-seated grunge off? Is there some sort of mechanic's soap that I could find?

I wear tevas around the yard and my heels get dirty too. I use a bath brush on them every time I shower, plus a pumice stone periodically. I also have one of those foot baths that get warm and bubble. Soaking your feet in that softens your heels and helps the pumice stone work.

lucky bunny
Jul. 17, 2010, 06:06 PM
Scrape your fingernails across a bar of soap before you go out and do dirty work. It keeps the dirt from getting under your nails and makes cleaning easier.

I second the fingertip brush and washcloth.

For feet, a loofa and/or pumice stone. -it's not just for dirty country feet. My feet were the nastiest when I lived in NYC and wore sandals in the summer -Yuck!

kookicat
Jul. 17, 2010, 06:20 PM
Hot water and bubble bath. Soak feet for a few mins. Scrub with your implement of choice (I use a bath brush) with soap. Repeat as needed until your skin is clean. I think the soaking really helps to draw out the dirt. Plus, it feels pretty nice too. :winkgrin:

msj
Jul. 17, 2010, 06:33 PM
If they still sell it, try LAVA soap. It's got pumice particles embedded in the soap. While I've never used it on my feet, when I get off the tractor or mower after a few hrs on a hot summer day, my hands are just about as black as the steering wheel. Lava soap cleans them right up. :)

suzyq
Jul. 17, 2010, 06:48 PM
Hubby's mechanics soap, it's called fast orange and is a thick liquid with pumice beads in it. You scrub with it before you wet your hands, then rinse off.

tarynls
Jul. 17, 2010, 06:57 PM
The mechanic's soap mentioned above is what I use. The brand I use comes in an orange container and is called "Gojo". Pretty inexpensive, easy to find at an auto store (they may even sell it at WalMart or Target).

MistyBlue
Jul. 17, 2010, 07:12 PM
I second the GoJo and a hard bristle toothbrush.
Soak your feet first though, dirt gets embedded in the dried old skin and you need to soften that up.
Warm/hot water in something your feet fit into and lemon juice does well.
Afterwards GoJo and the toothbrush.
Pat dry, slather with a heavy duty moisturizer like aquafor and rub in.

kookicat
Jul. 17, 2010, 07:40 PM
I second the GoJo and a hard bristle toothbrush.
Soak your feet first though, dirt gets embedded in the dried old skin and you need to soften that up.
Warm/hot water in something your feet fit into and lemon juice does well.
Afterwards GoJo and the toothbrush.
Pat dry, slather with a heavy duty moisturizer like aquafor and rub in.

My beautician friend gave me a good tip- after you've moisturised your feet, wrap in them in cling film and pop a pair of socks on top for ten or so minutes. The heat helps the moisturiser absorb into your skin.

MistyBlue
Jul. 17, 2010, 10:50 PM
:yes: I learned the same thing ages ago.
And it works like a charm. Especially if you heat up the moisturizer first.
And very especially if you sleep like that overnight.

I do something similar wiith my hands when the callouses crack and bleed with season changes. Soak until soft-ish (they don't really get soft anymore, LOL) and the slather with moisturizer and then I sleep in those disposable medical gloves. Fixes them right up!

Those hot parafin wax dips also do a really nice job softening up really hardened hands and feet. Feels great if you have arthritis too.

I don't soften my feet though, at least not much. Then they become too sensitive to work on all day again. But I might give it a go in a couple weeks or so, we're going to visit my MIL in FL and I'll have 5 days of not doing farm work. And my MIL is a bit of a society doyenne and those huge callouses on my hands freak her out a bit. :lol:

baysngreys
Jul. 17, 2010, 11:19 PM
That's what a pedicure is for!!!

Just love sitting in that comfy, massaging chair, my white legs shining in the light, while the manicurist who drew the short straw, scrubs a weeks worth of barn dirt off my feet. Ahhh.

Tipping really well ensures they let you come back;)

Kestrel
Jul. 18, 2010, 01:28 AM
When I was a kid, Mama used to scrub our feet with Comet cleanser and a fingernail brush. Tickled no end. Mama also used to hose us off and make us strip before she would let us in the house....

Nezzy
Jul. 18, 2010, 01:16 PM
soft scrub with bleach and a nail brush.

JanM
Jul. 18, 2010, 07:23 PM
Instead of a nail brush I use a vegetable brush (in the Wally World kitchen gadget section) because it works just like a nail brush but it's bigger and covers more territory. And for the heels I dampen them, use a fine pumice stone, and a heavy duty hand creme and put my feet up. Where I used to live they had a great place that made soap and lotions; and their cream made specifically for gardeners was wonderful. I'm sure the other heavy duty hand creams on the market are also great.

Luckydonkey
Jul. 18, 2010, 07:37 PM
Cut a lime in half and put it in the microwave for 30 seconds- then squeeze the warm lime juice onto your feet and scrub with a foot scrubber- the citrus oils loosen up the grime and get it off really well :)

Guin
Jul. 18, 2010, 08:41 PM
I am leaning towards the Softscrub approach, but will search for Lava soap. I like the lime idea, too!

Guin
Jul. 18, 2010, 08:42 PM
I wear shoes and socks to avoid that dirt and fungus. I hate stuff getting into my sandals, so I never wear sandals to the barn OR do yard work in them. It is a good way to get foot fungus with sandals, or how about some poison ivy, or a nail stuck in your toe?

When I walk the dogs, I go to the lake, and I wade while they swim. Shoes/socks wouldn't work for me!

inquisitive
Jul. 19, 2010, 09:09 AM
Hubby's mechanics soap, it's called fast orange and is a thick liquid with pumice beads in it. You scrub with it before you wet your hands, then rinse off.

:yes:

http://www.homedepot.com/Cleaning/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh7Zbqsi/R-202025720/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Love this stuff

IFG
Jul. 19, 2010, 02:06 PM
When I walk the dogs, I go to the lake, and I wade while they swim. Shoes/socks wouldn't work for me!

Forget your feet, how do you get the dogs clean. Our white Standard Poodle goes in our swamp, and short of clipping him naked, he looks like a Parti Poodle (with spots).

theoldgreymare
Jul. 19, 2010, 02:35 PM
The mechanic's soap mentioned above is what I use. The brand I use comes in an orange container and is called "Gojo". Pretty inexpensive, easy to find at an auto store (they may even sell it at WalMart or Target).

Yup. We use the GOJO too and it is fantastic. You have to like smelling like an orange for a while though :D.

CR Gorge Girl
Jul. 19, 2010, 04:28 PM
Yup. We use the GOJO too and it is fantastic. You have to like smelling like an orange for a while though :D.

Go Gojo!!! I love that stuff. Our drama teacher always had it in the set shop at school, and it was awesome for getting paint and whatever off your hands. My friend also uses it to wash her pigs before county fair, it gets all the dry skin and dirt off of them. :yes::yes:

Guin
Jul. 19, 2010, 04:49 PM
Forget your feet, how do you get the dogs clean. Our white Standard Poodle goes in our swamp, and short of clipping him naked, he looks like a Parti Poodle (with spots).

They don't get dirty - they just swim and run around. My feet get dirty from getting wet and then walking on the path, which is dusty. Tribble will occasionally roll in a dead fish :dead: but other than that they don't go in the muddy spots.

MistyBlue
Jul. 19, 2010, 05:59 PM
IFG...many dogs don't stain like a poodle can. :winkgrin:

Guin...I'm guessing with a name like Tribble this is a long haired short dog? (isn't a tribble those attack puff balls from Star Wars/Trek?)

I'd go with the GoJo for your feet for the ground in dirty spots that no longer get clean. (and agreed, it is also fantastic for removing paint from your hands and doesn't hurt like a Brillo pad, LOL!

GoJo is one cleaner I can't function without at home. Only thing I found to remove joint grease and other staining goopy stuff.

bdj
Jul. 22, 2010, 04:09 PM
At our local Saturday morning farmer's market, we have "the soap guy" (aka "the bee guy", aka Matt). He makes his own soaps, and one of my favorites is one that has a loofah built right into it. The cut sides of the soap are actually too rough to use on anything but feet and hands, but man, do they do a great job of scrubbing the nasty muck off your feet! (I also wander around in Tevas or Keens or Adidas slides most of the summer, too, so I totally get where you're coming from!)

And the soap smells yummy, too!

(If I didn't have the loofah soaps, I've used a sugar scrub meant for cuticles on my feet, too, and it works, too - just doesn't last as long as the soaps.)

mvp
Jul. 22, 2010, 04:44 PM
Gojo is good, as is abrasion. Before the hot date where you will get naked, however, I suggest you take off the stained layer of callous, too.

For that you need a Pedi Egg. Think appropriate carrot grater. Does the job nicely.

Guin
Jul. 22, 2010, 09:18 PM
MB - the Tribble is a Corgi. ;)