PDA

View Full Version : It's here!

Mr.GMan
Jul. 17, 2010, 09:07 AM
My new trailer! It's so SHINY!!! And HUGE!! More room than Studly will know what to do with. We picked it up yesterday from Risa at Happy Trails Trailers and after she showed me the works on how to work it, we went home and now I need to go haul somewhere! YAY!!! BUT, on the way home I thought I should probably get insurance for this as it isn't my old 30 yo trailer anymore. Do you have insurance for yours and if so, is it with your car insurer? Thanks Risa, I love it!

Zu Zu
Jul. 17, 2010, 09:21 AM
CONGRATULATIONS ! ENJOY ~

everafterfarm
Jul. 17, 2010, 09:24 AM
It has to be insured if it's financed on it's own like a car. If it's paid for up to you, but if it's worth more than a couple thousand, which it certainly sounds like it is, then I would keep it insured just in case. Most , not all, but most car insurance will cover it while it's attached to your truck, but what about if it's parked at a show and someone hits it, or a tree limb falls on it, or hail damage, or if you let someone borrow it, or who knows what. Some car insurance places do cover trailers on their own and some don't, just call your provider. mine's through Farm Bureau and it's pretty cheap about 100 bucks a year. Enjoy your new trailer!!!

Calvincrowe
Jul. 17, 2010, 09:44 AM
I posted yesterday about my new Hawk. Aren't they just the BEST?! I am so tempted to toss my old man in the trailer to just "test" it out. My riding horse is 40 miles away at his boarding barn, but I just want to haul something!! I catch myself looking out the window at my new rig and smiling. :) Kind of like that. Congratulations!

I have to inquire Monday about insurance as well. Much too nice to leave it to chance.

Mr.GMan
Jul. 17, 2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the advice eventer. I certainly hadn't thought about some of the incidences you mentioned. I will call my carrier and talk to them next week. If they don't cover, it's good to know about Farm Bureau.

Congrats on your new trailer too Calvin! Yes, I keep checking on it and looking at it and it's so pretty! The paint matches the color of my truck too! Sweet!

I will def. enjoy it Zuzu:D

mroades
Jul. 17, 2010, 09:47 PM
Geico covers horse trailers

horsepoor
Jul. 18, 2010, 12:48 AM
Our auto/home insurance is through State Farm, and we added the trailer on -- while liability coverage might extend from the covered towing vehicle to the trailer, I don't believe collision/comprehensive does. Adding the trailer on cost us a whole $45/year.

Congratulations on the new trailer!

grinanride
Jul. 18, 2010, 05:41 AM
Hey MrGMan! Pleasure meeting you both, enjoy your new trailer, it sure is nice! "Hollar" if you need me, here is an article from my blog about trailer insurance.

Insurance?
Generally speaking, your towing vehicle liability insurance will cover your trailer while you are towing. The catch is, you will only have liability insurance up to the amount specified in your insurance agreement. In other words, you are likely covered for damage you do to someone else up to your policy limits, after your deductible, but NOT for damage done to yourself! Damage to your trailer, loss from theft, loss or damage from some other event such as a storm would NOT be covered. Loss from theft MAY be covered on your homeowners policy but you will need to verify this with your homeowners insurance to be sure.

Consider adding collision and comprehensive insurance to cover your trailer. It is usually a fairly inexpensive addition to your auto policy. This way you will be protected against loss.

If your trailer is financed your lender will require you keep collision and comprehensive insurance on your trailer for the duration of the loan.

If you have an older less expensive trailer you may not be worried about loosing the value of it, but for most trailers today, the cost of comprehensive and collision insurance is worth the peace of mind. Check with your insurance companies to verify and to be certain of what coverage you may or may not have. "

Risa
HappyTrailsTrailers
BalancedRideTrailers