PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about flex fencing please

onelove
Jul. 16, 2010, 09:24 AM
So I'm looking into buying leasing to buy about 10 acres or so (if the on-site job doesn't work out) and since I am about 2 inches away from the poor house :winkgrin: I was looking into cheaper alternatives than traditional fencing.
If I lease a property I want to be able to take the fencing with me if we ever move. (Of course if we end up buying later on than that's a whole other basket of eggs.) So I have been exploring different options. I know I will still have to dog the posts holes but the actual fencing I would take with me unless the owner offered to buy it.
First let me say that I don't really want to run high tensile, even if it is coated, if I can help it. I don't really like it much. I also don't want to just run hot tape around either. I don't like the look of it and it's pretty flimsy.
So I have found Flex Fencing and I'd like to know about other people experiences with it. I requested info from Ramm about it and a few others. It seems like it might be a good solution if it's not super expensive.

shakeytails
Jul. 16, 2010, 10:46 AM
If you're looking for cheap, that ain't it!

Sunnydays
Jul. 16, 2010, 11:03 AM
I have it and like it. Cannot imagine ever trying to "take it away" - would be very difficult to do.
Not cheap, but good value I think.

onelove
Jul. 16, 2010, 11:04 AM
Yeah I finally found a price list and you're right- it is not cheap. Maybe I could use it for the riding ring....

BasqueMom
Jul. 16, 2010, 11:19 AM
Yes, t'aint cheap. If you use screws for the brackets (2.5 to 3.5 coated deck
screws), it will be easier to take it with you. Folks do move it with them or
buy it used from another property when that property is being turned into something else. It's not light or easy to handle but it can be done.

You might consider a top rail of the rail and the coated wire underneath--say
3 or 4 strands which comes in both electric and non-electric versions.

DiablosHalo
Jul. 16, 2010, 03:11 PM
I have the flex fence (4 rail 5.25") and I agree- it's not easy to take with you and it is NOT cheap! It was more expensive than any traditional wood fence.

If your horses are easy keeper-inners, I would go with the white electric tape fence. If you kept it taught, it doesn't look flimsy and does the job. Also very portable. I'd stay away from wire. Too much can happen- even if it's electric.

Just a heads up- you want to get in writing that you can take the fence with you- as it is considered "real property" once installed and may not be able to travel!

dmalbone
Jul. 16, 2010, 03:19 PM
I would consider our actual fencing materials cheap. Total for actual posts, installing, etc. definitely not, but the fencing itself was. We used "Horserail" brand flex fence made by the makers of Ramm (got it from Kencove fencing). We used a top 4.25" flex rail and coated hotwire below. It is a very solid fence for the price. The horses each touched it once and haven't since. Although I did have a dream last night that a cow went through it and came into my pasture and scared the crap out of my horses. He was also talking to me so I'm not sure what to read into that. :lol: