PDA

View Full Version : Breeders: What should I be feeding my 2 year old gelding?

Concordia
Jul. 16, 2010, 08:11 AM
It's been a LONG time since I had a horse this young.... and I'm at a barn where he's the only youngster - I'm not sure what to feed him! Right now he's FAT...like I'd call him a BCS of 7 eep! LOL He had been on full grass pasture before i brought him him yesterday and had not been getting grain, but I worry for a growing boy, he needs SOMETHING more then just grass? I was thinking a Ration Balancer? Is that appropriate for a baby?

We feed Tribute and most of our adult horses are on one of thier "Kalm" products. (Kalm n EZ, Kalm Ultra, K finish, etc.)

If it makes any difference, he's a 2 year old dutch wb gelding.

Auventera Two
Jul. 16, 2010, 09:25 AM
I feed my yearling a mix of alfalfa and grass hay. She also is on pasture about 4 hours a day. She gets 1 lb. of Ultium, and SmartVite Grass formulation. She had a pretty good bulgy hay belly when she came here but that disapeared in about a week. I attribute it to higher quality protein. We've always fed very high quality hay and a vitamin/mineral supplement, and only 1 lb. or so a day of grain to our babies. They all grew up healthy and shiny. We only had one who developed a very small spot of OCD in one hock.

Concordia
Jul. 16, 2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks. Someone else told me about a grass supplement, can you tell me more about that?

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Jul. 18, 2010, 03:58 PM
When Ultium came out I emailed Purina about feeding it to young horses & they wrote back "absolutely not". I think as you're doing with a grass balancer they'd be getting what they need though.
I feed Buckeye Grow n Win & the horses are wonderful on it. I feed it to all ages. It's also safe for ponies & older horses. I love that only a minimum of concentrate goes into my horses & they eat in a more natural way of forage first.