PDA

View Full Version : Where would you run water?

dmalbone
Jul. 15, 2010, 04:34 PM
I HAVE to get water in my barn this summer. I have no idea how I can make it through winter using a hose run from the house when they drink so much! I'm confused though... I'm not sure what it can be run near and what it should avoid. I know when I was looking up all of the electric fence stuff it said to keep it away from water lines, but I just really don't know all of the technical "stuff". Here is my "sketch" of our layout. Any input? I had originally planned on running it to the back of the barn, but we ended up needing to put the charger back there and I don't think I can run it into the barn in the same spot, right? The water would come off the back of the house where the electric and phone are going in. Help?? http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0d934b3127ccefacab634f9c100000030O01Aas3DRq4asQ e3nwQ/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

MistyBlue
Jul. 15, 2010, 04:40 PM
Water can run near or even with electric.
The most common way to run both to an outbuilding here is to dig the frost line trench for the water lines and then add the water line. Backfill the trench a bit and then add another conduit to run the electric line in the same trench. Finish backfilling.
My water runs from the far side of my house through my backyard, down the driveway to the barn and up to the closest side of my barn. The main electric from the main driveway attaches to the barn directly over the water line where it comes up outside the barn for the frost free hydrant. The electric fence grounds and main barn electrtic grounds are 1' from the frost free over the underground waterline that runs from there to the paddock heated waterer. The heated waterer is run by a waterline and electric line in the same trench from barn to waterer.
And my set up was done all by pros at the same time.
Is your electric run underground from house to barn? And if so, how deep?

baysngreys
Jul. 15, 2010, 04:46 PM
We ran electric and water lines from the house to the barn in the same trench. I think the concern "to keep it away from water lines" was so you wouldn't cut through a pipe!

Your location will dictate how deep you need to put the water lines so they wont freeze, in NJ we buried 30", here in SC they are +/-16".

You could run your water from the house directly to the barn. Shortest distance, least cost.
Either hire out the job, or rent a ditch witch one weekend, drop all the pipe in and attach hydrants.
You want frost-free hydrants. Make sure you use gravel at the base of them!!! The installer we used didn't and the water would bubble up around the hydrant when we turned them off.
Had to dig down around them, add pea gravel, back fill and then we put white "driveway" stones around the hydrants at ground level.

It was a glorious day when I had water to all my padocks and could put all the hoses away!!:)

dmalbone
Jul. 15, 2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks! I think we're going to have someone do it. I don't think it's something we want to tackle right now (lots going on). The electric is run from the pole to the house and from the pole to the barn. So there's no way for them to share a trench now or anything. As long as it will be fine going straight from the house I guess I can run it to the front of the barn. It would just actually cross over the the electric line once. The electric was run by the power company themselves, so I'm sure it's deep enough, but I'm not sure I guess how deep. DH would know. I'll have to figure out how deep the water needs to go though. I just swear I heard something about electric fences and water. Something about getting interference or something if they're too close, but I'm sure I could be making this up. It's all new to us. :sigh:

deltawave
Jul. 15, 2010, 06:23 PM
By the shortest trench possible. :) Just have any nearby power, phone, cable lines marked beforehand. The contractors can dig around any potential crossings.

deacon's mom
Jul. 15, 2010, 07:30 PM
In my neck of the woods, it's illegal to run a water line in the same trench as an electric line. That being said, I dug the trench myself (rented a ditch witch and dug 600 feet with it), placed the water line, hand filled, then placed the electric lines. I did all the plumbing myself (without any experience - electric was done professionally). It's pretty easy just a bit time consuming. I installed a hot water heater, a sink, and a frost-free faucet in the aisle, and am so grateful to have hot and cold water in the barn.

MistyBlue
Jul. 15, 2010, 09:38 PM
Plumbing is a lot easier than you'd think. :yes: As long as you get the info on how to do it right the first time...the actual doing isn't that tough to do. The trenching...well that kinda sucks. We hired out because our frost line is 4 feet deep and the waterline was going about 400 feet from house to barn and down a packed gravel drive. Wasn't even going to attempt that one! :lol:

But the pipes and hook ups really aren't that difficult.

AKB
Jul. 15, 2010, 10:28 PM
Make sure your water line is deep enough that it doesn't freeze whenever you have a bitterly cold winter. I would try to put the hydrants next to electric outlets (including one near your water trough). Then, if the hydrants do freeze, you will have electricity to run heat tape or whatever else you need to thaw them.

We have a hydrant just outside our barn. A few years ago, we added a hydrant in the barn aisle. It is wonderful to have that extra hydrant. This past winter, when we had 3' of snow on the ground, it was so nice not have to walk out in the snow every time I needed to fill a bucket. Our outside hydrant sometimes freezes when we have prolonged freezing rain. The one in the barn aisle does not freeze.

Tom King
Jul. 15, 2010, 11:37 PM
Plan the placement so the maximum water hose length you have to deal with in winter (or anytime for that matter), is 25'. And get a Flexogen 3/4" x 25' hose. Placement is much more important than saving any extra trouble or few dollars more it costs to start with.

It's one of the few things I've bothered to go back and change, and the time and effort has been repaid many times over.

It's nothing to drain a fast draining 25' hose after years of dealing with 75' ones.

dmalbone
Jul. 16, 2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks everyone. Hopefully there will be no problem running it straight to the front of the barn. The barn is 40' long so I should be able to reach both troughs under the overhangs with a 25' hose. That would be SO much easier than the 200' heavy duty farm hose I have to drag all the way from the house. Yuck.

deltawave
Jul. 16, 2010, 03:51 PM
Somebody posted somewhere about having built a small "garage" for their hose--a small, insulated box that enclosed the head of the spigot/hose that was heated either via a vent to the heated tack room or a small light fixture, I can't recall which. What a good idea! There is NOTHING I hate more than handling frozen hoses and buckets in the winter. :dead: Of course I have an auto waterer in my sacrifice paddock, so that removes the need for ANY hoses or buckets. :D

Tom King
Jul. 16, 2010, 06:02 PM
The Flexogen 3/4" x 25' hoses are sometimes hard to find. Baileysonline, also the best place I know for chainsaw/tree work stuff, has them in stock.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=GF834 25

A 3/4" hose not only flows maybe twice the water volume of a 5/8" hose from a faucet. It also drains twice as fast by hand.