PDA

View Full Version : Second sick chicken...what is it?

Gayla
Jul. 14, 2010, 08:49 PM
I had a chicken die about a month ago. She became depressed and her eye looked funny (bulged). I treated with antibiotics and then wormed with regular wormer in the water since it is mild. She died sadly. She did not have anything that looked like an infection in her sinuses, except the eye of course. Now, my best and most friendly hen is looking a little weird. Her cheeks are pale, she is hanging her tail feathers a little and she seems a little uncoordinated. She is panting a lot and drinking more than usual. I can take her to the vet if I can find one that will see a chicken...but I don't know if they even do that unless they are "poultry production" type vets. Anyone have any thoughts?

hundredacres
Jul. 14, 2010, 08:54 PM
It sounds like coccidiosis to me....I'm not an expert but have lost a wonderful roo to it. You can buy a treatment at the farm store for it if that is what it is but you need to start her on it ASAP..

kinnip
Jul. 14, 2010, 08:58 PM
Coccidiosis is very rare in adult chickens. There are a number of diseases that could be involved. If you have access to an avian vet, call them. Any vet who sees parrots, etc. should be able to treat the hen. Chickens die fast from illness. You could spend the next 48 hrs scouring the internet and books, and you may find something in the end, but I wouldn't chance it. I have chickens I don't mind biding my time with, and I have chickens I call the vet for. If this is a pet, find a vet. In Pcola, I know there are avian vets.

gardenofsimple22
Jul. 14, 2010, 09:05 PM
I would use only chicken dewormer if you are not- the feed store should have it.

another great product is Vet RX .... put a few drops in their waterer and it is useful for most things- obviously if your hen is actually ILL and not just coming down with something meds are the best bet. The feedstore ( if not a tractor supply type place) can assist you with OTC meds as well if you can't find a vet.

Check out backyardchickens.com they have a forum and can most likely tell you more.

I also have used vet rx in a bubbly infected eye and it cleared up just fine.