PDA

View Full Version : Pennfield Feed

xanonx
Jul. 14, 2010, 08:49 AM
Any thoughts on Pennfield feeds? I am thinking about opening a feed store and carrying this product, as well as others, and wanted some input from folks about its popularity.

dalpal
Jul. 14, 2010, 08:54 AM
I use it...a. Pennfield Fibergized Omega and b. Pennfield Cool N Lite Right now everyone is on Cool N Lite (grassy pasture)

I will say that the store owner said it isn't a big seller at his store. Most people there buy Blue Seal, Nutrena and Purina. The two lines of Pennfield that I use are rather pricey...18.56 for the Cool N Lite and 22.00 for the Omega.

I think it is an exceptionally good feed and I am very pleased with it..but not sure if it is widely used.

xanonx
Jul. 14, 2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the input! I'm trying to not say where I am planning on setting up to avoid sounding like I'm advertising, but I'd be also carrying Seminole and Buckeye. I've heard some very good things about Pennfield's livestock feed so I am interested in Pennfield for that too.

Marla 100
Jul. 14, 2010, 11:18 AM
If you do a search here there's been several threads about Pennfield. As I recall, there was a mix of positive and negative reviews. The negatives being choke and too much molasses. My feed store started carrying it and I tried it when they offered Buy One Get One Free. Have to say I did not buy it again for two reasons: choke and too much Molasses.

xanonx
Jul. 14, 2010, 11:44 AM
Good to know! I had the same problem with choke with Triple Crown on a few different horses.

NeedsAdvil
Jul. 14, 2010, 11:57 AM
I loved the fibergized omega, my horses were previously on it. I always hit mine with some warm water and a splash of oil before feeding to minimize choke. Never had any issues doing it that way, and found I had to feed less of it than some other feeds, so the cost difference was not very significant.

xanonx
Jul. 14, 2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks for all the info!

Nootka
Jul. 14, 2010, 04:48 PM
I love the Fibergized and Grand Prix.

I really only fed these feeds and traveled 1hr to get them when there are plenty of other feed stores around to get other feed (live near Ocala)

moukoyui
Jul. 14, 2010, 09:30 PM
I feed fibergized and Grand Prix Granola. I have never had an issue with either and in fact the only other feed I would use would be Progressive which is much more expensive!!!

I love it!!

AnotherRound
Jul. 15, 2010, 07:54 AM
Why do you folks like the pennfield over other brands? Does it have different base ingredients? A better balance of nutrients? I'm curious, haven't educated myself for 10 years, then I was feeding Triple crown and liked it.

Tami Jones
Jul. 15, 2010, 09:03 AM
Hello,

My name is Tami Jones and I am the Marketing Coordinator for Pennfield Feed. If you or anyone you know has an issue with choke or anything related to our products would you kindly contact us. We will do a thorough quality assurance check on the batch that feed came from.

If anyone has any questions do not hesitate to contact me.

Tami Jones
717-940-8309
tjones@pennfield.com

throwurheart
Jul. 16, 2010, 12:55 PM
Why do you folks like the pennfield over other brands? Does it have different base ingredients? A better balance of nutrients? I'm curious, haven't educated myself for 10 years, then I was feeding Triple crown and liked it.

They don't change the ingredients every time they run a batch of feed, that's the primary reason I use it. I know it's always the same. Also, the ingredients are better quality, in my opinion, and the formulas are more complete and very custom-fit to particular needs.

I've never had a problem with choke with Fibregized, I always loved that feed... I had one skinny guy put weight on nicely with that feed. Now, with groceries on board the skinny one, both my horses are currently on Pennfield's ration balancer, All Phase, and free choice grass and hay.

Regarding the concern on molasses... some Pennfield feeds have very little molasses, like Grand Prix Granola. Depends on the formula you use.

Buffyblue
Jul. 17, 2010, 06:53 AM
I love Pennfield's feeds! I've had my horse on it since I got her almost 8 years ago. My barn feeds it now so I don't even have to go out and buy my own. Great product with lots of choices.

mpsbarnmanager
Jul. 17, 2010, 09:08 AM
I have only ever used pennfield 11% signature pellets. I did not like them because they are only 3% fat and I had to feed a lot to maintain weight. I swiched to Legends show and pleasure pellets. They are 10% fat so I can feed less. (And save money). :)

SidesaddleRider
Jul. 17, 2010, 01:42 PM
I have always liked the Pennfield Fibergized and Grand Prix Granola. Both worked very well for my horses.

Eventer55
Jul. 17, 2010, 02:10 PM
I love the Pennfield Fibergized. I like the company because I went to a lecture last year by Pennfield and was very impressed with a number of things.

1. They don't change the ingredients for the sake of pricing.

2. They own almost all the mills that produce their feed, so they have in house quality assurance.

3. My gelding who doesn't like anything even if it's loaded with molassas loves Fibergized.

My only complaint is that it is expensive.

Laurierace
Jul. 17, 2010, 02:19 PM
I have been feeding a house brand of feed that is made by Pennfield for almost ten years. Only once did I get a bag that seemed a little off. Not bad but not the same makeup as the usual stuff. I guess it must have been mislabeled or the end of one batch of something and the start of mine.

sid
Jul. 17, 2010, 02:53 PM
Over the last 25 years, I've used several brands (Nutrena, Triple Crown, etc), but have found Pennfield to be the most consistent. Been very happy with their feed quality and products line since I started using them back in '95, I think.

Nootka
Jul. 17, 2010, 09:39 PM
/\ /\ where I found out about Pennifield /\ /\

Sid's horses convinced me it was good stuff and I will never go astray :D