PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Pipe gates and wasps

bird4416
Jul. 13, 2010, 08:32 PM
Last evening, I kicked the gate to a paddock closed with my foot and the next thing I knew, I had a burning pain in my foot right above my shoe. I looked down and a wasp was on my foot. Apparently, wasps had built a nest inside the hollow tubing of the gate that is open to the bottom. I got some wasp and hornet spray and turned it upside down to squirt into the tube. I learned the hard way that the spray doesn't work when sprayed straight up. A wasp flew out and stung me on my hand. However, the spray does work when held at a slight angle so I was able to anihilate the nest and its occupants. I've decided to fill the holes in my gates with that foam insulation spray so this doesn't happen again. Here is a pic of my balloon hand.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2368553380034166832bkMUxO

jaslyn1701
Jul. 13, 2010, 08:46 PM
Ouch! Almost had a similar thing happen doing turn out one Sunday morning. Hole in the stall gate had become "home" to an ever growing nest of wasps. Luckily, did not have to spray upside down to get rid of them. Hope your hand and foot feel better.

winfieldfarm
Jul. 13, 2010, 09:37 PM
Yipes! I was reading an old horse mag in bed last night and they had a tip for this. You can buy rubber caps to glue over your pipe gate ends. They were suggesting it to prevent your horse from getting a wound banging his foot on the gate but this would work great to keep the stinging insects from nesting.

MistyBlue
Jul. 13, 2010, 09:51 PM
Yellow jackets?
I had a buttload of nests in all the open tubing they could find on my tractor 2 summers ago. Nasty little buggers, they'd come out and attack if you walked within 10' of the tractor!

I had to sit with a scope lense farther away and map out all the locations from a distance during the day and then after dark I went out and cover the entire tractor with foaming wasp $ hornet killer. I filled every hole, tube, underneath, etc. 2 cans. By the time I was done it looked like I had a giant marshmellow in the driveway, LOL!

Got 'em all though mwuahahaha! And now every spring I spray a little brake cleaner inside the open tube parts and that keeps it bug free.

SLW
Jul. 13, 2010, 10:32 PM
Ouch, no fun. The spray in foam or caulking will seal all those openings in a snap.

tallyho392
Jul. 13, 2010, 10:50 PM
i used foam insulation in a can LAST yr................just moved the gate on sunday and discovered the buggers had chewed thru the foam and made nests again...........luckily, no one was stung..........so, be sure to check the previously filled openings

kaluha2
Jul. 14, 2010, 08:58 AM
My dressage arena is fenced in with PVC poles and the hornets love to nest in each and everyone of them. One pole had fallen out of the holder and when I picked it up to stick it into the holder I felt about 10 stings and when I looked down I was infested with the boogers and they promptly chased me all the way across the pasture to the house.

So, I sprayed them that night. No more problem.

Aggie4Bar
Jul. 14, 2010, 10:46 AM
Yeouch. They're good about getting underneather trailer tongues, too. I know several people who've been stung hitching their trailer after it sat for a while.

Janet
Jul. 14, 2010, 10:59 AM
I was stung on the LIP about a week ago from wasps/yellow jackets in the gate.

hundredacres
Jul. 14, 2010, 11:01 AM
Ouch! We had that problem at our dock where we pull the pontoon in - hubby had made some taller posts for his elderly parents to hold on to and there were holes in the tops...one day we pulled in and bumped the posts and the wasps attacked and we were trapped on the pontoon and worse, afraid to get off because the wasps were so mad. I hate those #@!$ things. The next day dh topped all the posts off with duct tape.

The other day the goat was playing in the horse paddock and bouncing all about, waking up some wasps under the feeder. I found it interesting that the wasps didn;t immediately swarm him and attack like they would have if I'd done that. Anyone know why?

Bird feeders are like condos for wasps. I won't have any anymore...:(

wateryglen
Jul. 14, 2010, 01:36 PM
I've used Malathion powder over/into the holes successfully followed by a wad of aluminum foil jammed up in there. My old pipe gates have lotsa rust holes that sometimes have them. :eek: Also like the powder for putting onto yellow jacket/ground bees holes in the ground. Works:yes:!

So far I've only done the "race to the house w/bees after me" thing once this summer! But alas, the summer is still young!!! :D

2DogsFarm
Jul. 14, 2010, 02:21 PM
hundredacres:
maybe if you smelled more like goat? :winkgrin:

I found out the hard way I am not allergic to wasp stings.
Got nailed on the bridge of my nose 2 yrs ago. The little effers had made a nest inside my hose hanger!
I had never in 50+ years been stung by anything apian or wasp-esque.
I recall thinking:
"Well, soon I'll know how allergic I am..."

Luckily I just ended up with one eye swollen shut - I resembled Oscar Homolka (for those of you old enough to know who that was)

2ndary PSA:
For those of you concerned about spraying poison near your animals, Meier carries a spray made of mint extract.
Totally safe and smells great.
I used it on some nests the paper wasps has built over my stall doors.
I cannot recall the brand, but in came in a bright yellow aerosol can.
Yeah, I know, kind of oxymoronish for environmentally friendly stuff to come in aerosol...

Miss J
Jul. 14, 2010, 03:46 PM
EEK!!! I HATE wasps!!! Your poor hand and foot!!:(
To the peeps who do have nests that need to be taken down or apart, I will say that yes they do tend to be quiet in the night, buuut if you disturb there nest, say thats underneath your front stairs and you have to pull the wood away they do not stay dormant......in fact they get super pi$$ed super fast!!!:eek::eek:

The wasp shot spray is great, and if you can spray it from your car it's even greater!!! I could spray mine from around 6meters and be safe in my car!!:D

How many of you have done the arms flailing kermit the frog run away from a nest before?? Lol I just pray that nobody sees me doing it!:lol:

Lori B
Jul. 14, 2010, 03:53 PM
Me too me too me too! I went to a gate that doesn't get used very often last Sunday, and before I had done more than open it, I had several stings on my leg. They turned into bruises! Ouch!!

Hate 'em. Hope BM goes after that gate w/ some spray.

kaluha2
Jul. 14, 2010, 05:57 PM
LOL! This is so funny because that's exactly the way I was running---like a wild woman, screaming, zigzagging, arms flaying all over, like I was in a Ace Ventura Pet Detective movie. I bet the old farmers across the way must get the biggest laugh out of the city woman that "lives down the road apiece". I can hear them now talking about me over breakfast at the local pancake place. I must be some entertainment for them.

I bet they really cracked up last week when I got both feet caught in a piece of bailing twine attached to a 2X6 while turning and moving at warp speed onto my next project just like a woman on a mission, I fell face first, with my arms still at my side (I know, don't ask) on the gravel driveway, and knocked myself out. I must have laid there for a few minutes and had one hell of a headache.

Or the time after just digging a 2' hole promptly stepped in it as I was rushing to get the next fence post. I nearly put myself in a body cast over that one and I just know that the old farmers can hear me swearing like a flipping sailor. At a time like that NO swear word is off limits and I may say each one several times until I feel better.

Or the time a bat was in the house and I ran outside in such a panic I hit a tree.

OMG the list goes on but these damn hornets have got to go.

ambar
Jul. 14, 2010, 06:17 PM
I always forget, the first time I use the trailer each spring, to allow another 15 minutes to knock down the wasps nests which they start in the roof and the tack compartment. They also like the hollow aluminum pasture gate, but I take spray to that one and that's the end of that.

Sillymoose
Jul. 14, 2010, 07:18 PM
I'm on high alert now with all the stinging insects. I got attacked last week by yellow jackets. I got about 10-15 stings and subsequently broke out in hives all over. I'm now sporting a nifty little EpiPen. Joy.

Now I have wasp and yellow jacket spray on hand ready to kill any of those little buggers I see. We found a yellow jacket nest in the pipe gate at the farm I work at just the other day. I hope they suffered.

ETA: Just for fun. Here's a pic of just one of the many stings. Grr. I hate those things.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29598352@N03/4794368581/

SonnysMom
Jul. 14, 2010, 07:28 PM
Hubby was checking the propane tank and got stung on Monday. The float on the tank sticks so he shook the tank to get the float to unstick before checking the gauge. 5 of them flew out.
He used some after sting stuff that is mostly ammonia and said that worked really well.

hundredacres
Jul. 14, 2010, 08:06 PM
Ick...the pictures....I'm itching now.

I always forget, the first time I use the trailer each spring, to allow another 15 minutes to knock down the wasps nests which they start in the roof and the tack compartment.

This totally reminded me of last summer when we were hitching the trailer...hubby was backing up the truck and my 10 year old daughter and I were at the hitch...I released it onto the ball while my husband watched in the rear view mirror and there must have been a nest in the hitch -- DD and I took off running at lightening speed, screaming and flailing our arms. We stopped about a 75 yards away and there's my husband looking at us in the rear view mirror like we're nuts.

Loves to ride
Jul. 15, 2010, 10:15 AM
kaluha2,

I really don't mean to laugh at your expense but the various incidents you described made me laugh out loud! Probably because those are just the types of things that happen to me.

Honest, I feel very gulity about laughing. I really do. But, reading them in succession and with good mental imagery, well, let's just say I have coffee on my keyboard that I now need to clean-up.

I too hate wasps, yellow jackets and I too have pipe gates and go through lots of spray every week. Spraying the gates is now a weekly chore otherwise the old guy ends up paying for it (getting stung). :(

kaluha2
Jul. 15, 2010, 10:46 AM
LTR: Glad I gave you a good laugh. Honestly, I really need to set up a camcorder somewhere just to chronicle my mishaps---I could make a fortune.

Trust me I have laughed hysterically at myself---absolutely no offense taken.