PDA

View Full Version : Who has actually used a generator with a LQ trailer?

LMH
Jul. 13, 2010, 08:45 PM
I have a Honda 3000 and a Sundowner 8010.

I have not yet braved this experience but may need to in August as the location does not have 30amp hookups.

At full capacity it can go 7 hours. At 1/4 capacity 20 hours.

If I am running A/C (it IS hot in the south) and the fridge...will I just be SOL and putting gas in 3 times a day?:eek:

How can I wrap my head around this?

ThirdCharm
Jul. 13, 2010, 09:09 PM
When I ran my Honda 3000 and my Sundowner with A/C and fridge, it could go overnight barely. I just kept a couple gas cans handy.

Jennifer

LMH
Jul. 13, 2010, 09:15 PM
I just realized I am SOL for A/C and anything else.

Startup for a 13,500 BTU is 2800-pretty much maxes out the generator.

*sigh*

Option B?

There is a campground 13 miles from the clinic-maybe just suck it up and go there.:confused:

LMH
Jul. 13, 2010, 09:16 PM
It seems I would have been better off getting 2 2000 units and using parallel cables...at least I could actually lift one them on my own.

fordtraktor
Jul. 13, 2010, 09:29 PM
Please be very, very careful. I sadly know of a couple that died in their trailer of carbon monoxide poisoning. Easy to do in a trailer.

LMH
Jul. 13, 2010, 09:36 PM
omg! This is not sounding like a very relaxing way to do business.

So what do people do when they take a LQ to a non 30 amp place? Get a hotel?

Tom King
Jul. 13, 2010, 09:46 PM
We have listened to a generator run a few nights. Still better than staying somewhere off site.

CO poisoning is mostly from running a non vented propane heater, although a CO alarm is a few bucks well spent.

I always set up as far on the outskirts of the parking area as possible, and if using a portable generator, bring a long heavy cord, put the generator in the back of the truck, and face the front of the truck towards the sleeper.

LMH
Jul. 13, 2010, 09:50 PM
This is sounding more and more complicated.

I asked in a previous thread about using a adapter plug to plug into a normal plug-I know there is no was to safely use the A/C this way...but what about fridge on gas and buy a box fan!:lol:

This is too complicated.

Concordia
Jul. 13, 2010, 09:59 PM
I'm with you, I would totally have to have my a/c! LOL What we've done in the past is hook it up, let it run till it dies overnight - usually by wee morning when it runs out it's cool enough to bare it till it's time to get up and the stuff in the fridge will stay cold for a few hours. So if you have 7 hours, fill it up at 10pm and it should run till 5 am.... I dunno about you, but we never sleep much longer then that at shows anyway! :)

fordtraktor
Jul. 13, 2010, 10:07 PM
Tom King's suggestion is good. The couple I know of put the generator in the back of the trailer. They just weren't thinking about CO, they were thinking about rain.

It might run the A/C and fridge at the same time if you get the fridge very cold first so that it kicks off, then start the A/C, then when the fridge kicks back on the A/C will not be working so hard. If you have to choose between fridge and A/C, take a cooler and ice.

Daydream Believer
Jul. 13, 2010, 10:20 PM
We've run a generator before with our LQ trailer...never overnight but for a few hours to recharge batteries. We've mostly used ours in the winter and the batteries will run the furnace fan all night. Also the camp grounds we were at would not allow generators overnight..even the quiet ones.

Ours is a 3.6 Boily inverter generator does a good job. We can run AC and most of the camper on it. If you run a coffee maker or hair dryer, it's nice to turn off the AC for a few minutes. It is a quiet runner and if we put it in the back with the windows down for ventilation you can barely hear it hum outside the trailer. We still respected the campground's rule and turned it off after quiet time.

We do have a CO alarm in our LQ and we keep the doors closed, etc.. The back is wide open and well ventilated.

Our fridge has a propane gas option so we don't run it off the generator...we only use electric when we have a hookup.

Here is a pic of our first long trip with our trailer. As you can see, this campsite had no hookup! We did fine and ran off battery power for days with no issues. It was cold enough we did not need our AC. That pic was taken in Wyoming not far from Devil's Tower.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l215/ssluss/Horse%20Trailer/WyomingCampsite.jpg

Guilherme
Jul. 13, 2010, 11:07 PM
We use a pair of Honda EU2000 gensets hooked to an extended run fuel tank. Will go all night with no problems. In the a.m. when it's time to run the microwave we might have to turn off the A/C, but not always.

The gensets are outside, under the gooseneck, with the breakaway chains and pad locks providing anti-theft security. No issues with CO as it is a heavier than air gas. Exhaust disperses easily in the air so no risk of a CO buildup in the trailer even if there is no breeze. The Hondas are very quiet.

Using the two sets in parallel gives 4000 watts. Simple to hook up, easy to load (each unit fueled weighs just under 70 lb.). One person can load/unload the whole shebang. It's also possible to run just one genset if full capacity is not required. Weight and ease of loading was the main reason we went with the parallel EU2000s. The extra capacity over the 3000 was just "gravy." :)

G.

LMH
Jul. 14, 2010, 08:03 AM
That is my solution G.

Now I need to get rid of this generator for 2 of the 2000s

Guilherme
Jul. 14, 2010, 08:36 AM
That is my solution G.

Now I need to get rid of this generator for 2 of the 2000s

Is your 3000 one of the quiet gensets? If so here is one site I found with some used units with prices.

http://for-sale.yakaz.com/used-honda-3000-generator

The 3000s are very nice but may not be optimal for equine users due to the "lift in and out of the bed" issue. For folks using "toy haulers" there are fewer issues as the unit can be wheeled in and out of the "garage" without too much difficulty. I guess you could do the same thing with a ramped horsebox but lots of folks don't want to carry a gasoline engine in the same space as the horses.

IIRC Yamaha has a competitor for the Honda 2000 that produces 2800 watts and may have parallel capability. I've seen them on the Web but no one around here carries Yamaha gensets (at least unless I drive to Crossville, 40 miles up the road :) ). They were interesting, but availability (purchase and maintenance) were a downside.

So far we are very happy with the Hondas and highly recommend them.

G.

KarenC
Jul. 14, 2010, 09:28 AM
LMH, don't you have the option to run the fridge on propane?

LMH
Jul. 14, 2010, 10:47 AM
LMH, don't you have the option to run the fridge on propane?

Yes I actually do-but that still makes operation marginal at best.

LMH
Jul. 14, 2010, 11:00 AM
I just spoke with the local honda dealer and he was concerned hooking up to a gas extender would void the warranty?

Any ideas on this?

13 miles to the campground is looking easier.

Seriously has anyone tried electric fans instead of running the a/c?

Daydream Believer
Jul. 14, 2010, 12:47 PM
I have slept in mine with no AC in the 90 F range in a truck stop in New York once. Other than being a bit warm, the sound of the big trucks coming in all night was a major problem with my campsite. ;-) I found out that a big truck pulling in beside me will make my whole trailer vibrate. Anyway, I just lowered the windows and let the breeze come in...I had no issues other than the noise.

I'd think a fan that would run off a battery would be a big help to move air.

Why not look into the Boily generators? They are way less pricey than Honda and the one 3.6 k we have does a good job with our LQ as a stand alone generator.

http://boliyusa.com/

LMH
Jul. 14, 2010, 01:34 PM
DB that looks great!

How many hours on a tank? You may have said...

I am now reading the 3000 will have enough punch. I am just going to hook it up, crank it and see what I can run. LOL.

Easiest way.

KarenC
Jul. 14, 2010, 02:56 PM
I have 2 fans I got at Walmart that run on batteries (6 D-cells apiece) or can be plugged in, so you can plug them in when you run the generator and still run them when the generator is off.

Was at a ride this weekend in the high 80s and we were fine sleeping at night with the fans and windows open. We weren't in the trailer during the day, and the dogs sleep UNDER the trailer during the day because it is the coolest place for them.

LMH
Jul. 14, 2010, 03:11 PM
OK so assuming I can resolve the air issue with fans...now I have this 134 lbs Honda 3000 generator.

I am officially terrified to put it under the gooseneck...can't very well leave it in my truck or I can't use my truck unless I unplug it to run an errand?

Can't you just leave the darn thing outside? Or must it have rain cover?

Or I leave it in my rear tack and move all my tack.

This is so not simple for me to wrap my head around.:o

Guilherme
Jul. 14, 2010, 04:16 PM
If you live in the South an like humidity then maybe fans can work for you. But if you want a more comfortable sleep then the A/C is the way to go. :)

Putting a pair of EU2000 gensets under the gooseneck and securing them against theft with padlocks and chains is an easy task. It's a safe setup. Takes, maybe, five min. That also gives them some protection against weather. I've never used a cover while the gensets were running and never had an issue. If you just can't do that, then set them off to the side and run a longer security chain or chain them to something else on the trailer.

The extended run tanks can be bought or made.

Here are some commercial models:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350255835152&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=%3F*I7&GUID=391ac1551270a06459b2b742ffdc661e&itemid=350255835152&ff4=263602_263622

http://www.monsteroutdoors.com/servlet/the-287/Extended-Run-fuel-supply/Detail

Some come with the exteded run caps, some don't. Here's a source for the caps:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/120480601552?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263632&UA=%3F*I7&GUID=391ac1551270a06459b2b742ffdc661e&itemid=120480601552&ff4=263602_263632

Or you can build a tank for yourself:

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/articles/generators/fuel%20tank.html

The one I bought came with the caps. If I were going to do it again I'd buy the caps and make my own tank setup.

This is really not "rocket science" but it does take a bit of thought and practice to make work. :)

G.

Put the 3000 genset on Craigs List or LSN or e-Bay or in your local "thrifty nickle." This is the time of the year to sell one.

G.

katarine
Jul. 14, 2010, 05:42 PM
unhook trailer. Set the generator on the ground under the GN's nose and cable it round the GN foot. Lock cable. Crank generator. Slap a GN hitch lock on said GN ...and the generator won't leave.

Run the AC.

Shut off the fridge and work out of a cooler or three if the fridge won't fly on propane.

Drink beer.

Daydream Believer
Jul. 14, 2010, 06:16 PM
DB that looks great!

How many hours on a tank? You may have said...

Not sure how long as we've never run it dry but I'd guess on economy mode it would run most of the night. It has two modes...one for optimum power and the other for economy.

LMH
Jul. 14, 2010, 08:52 PM
There is a campground on a lake 5.6 miles from the clinic.

Hook up and drink beer.:lol:

fordtraktor
Jul. 14, 2010, 08:57 PM
Yes! Great solution!

LMH
Jul. 14, 2010, 09:06 PM
Yes! Great solution!

:lol: Glad you approve!!

fordtraktor
Jul. 14, 2010, 09:42 PM
I usually do when the solution involves beer. :lol:

Daydream Believer
Jul. 14, 2010, 10:30 PM
Yes, when possible, I'll go for the hookup and campground also! Wine is better than beer for me...I have to do gluten free stuff.

I stopped at one in KY once to overnight before picking up a horse to head home the next day. I pulled up to the office and the manager tried to refuse to give me a spot (I had reservations) as he saw a horse trailer. I explained that I did not have a horse in there and had to show him the LQ section. He apologized embarrassed at his overreaction and showed me to the spot.

I backed my big old 28 footer in nicely and a sweet lady from a neighboring camper invited me for dinner. She and her husband lived there as he was on a construction project and they were so impressed with my back up job! They saw I was alone and decided to invite me over. Dinner and wine was great and I slept well.

I generally prefer to camp around other people in a place where I know no one will mess with my trailer at night. You could not pay me to pull up for the night in a Walmart parking lot although you are welcome to do so officially.