PDA

View Full Version : If a snake were eating the chicken eggs, would there be evidence?

RacetrackReject
Jul. 13, 2010, 12:05 PM
Just curious about this because yesterday something had clearly eaten an egg out of a random nest some of the hens made under the tractor "run in" by the hay barn. The eggshell was still there a few feet away but was split and curled up and looked like something had yaked it up.

If it is a snake, any ideas for how to trap him so I can either relocate or dispose of him? I am at work all day, but do have people at the farm. None of them would be willing to do snake patrol duty though- just a guess on that.

pj
Jul. 13, 2010, 02:08 PM
Nope, eggs would just be gone unless one accidently broke in which case the yolk and white as well as the shell would still be there. Snake has to swallow them whole.
Wonder whatever got the egg didn't get the rest of them.

Sometimes if an egg breaks chickens will eat it and they leave the shell.
Maybe this is what happened?

RacetrackReject
Jul. 13, 2010, 03:10 PM
Tks for the reply.

I decided to go google and see if I could find out anything and I found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLk4rsCNFFU . That is sort what the egg looked like, so I"m thinking even more that it may be a snake.

So, how do you catch a snake in the act?

To the MAX
Jul. 13, 2010, 05:21 PM
I don't have anything to add except that the video you just posted was probably the grossest thing I've ever seen. :lol:

wateryglen
Jul. 14, 2010, 02:45 PM
Other birds and chickens eat eggs all the time. Chickens usually eat the shells but I've seen crows that didn't. Foxes, racoons, rats, dogs, coyotes, skunks, possums and snakes. The best way to know for sure if it's a snake is to SEE a snake with a big bulge on him!!! Kinda hanging around sleepily digesting it!!! :eek::winkgrin:
The list of birds that'll eat chicken eggs is endless. Around here it'd be Blue Jays, Crows, Hawks, Owls, vulchers and I'm just thinking the obvious ones!! Most likely its the other chickens. It's good for them but can become a bad habit if you want the eggs. You gotta gettum first!!!:winkgrin:

katarine
Jul. 14, 2010, 02:47 PM
tiny snake sized napkins :)

RacetrackReject
Jul. 14, 2010, 03:36 PM
I realize other things eat eggs, but I don't know any others that throw up whole intact egg shells rolled up sort of like a cigar with a slit on side. That is what appeared to happen to this egg. Something definitely threw the egg shell up and that's what it looked like. If I can still find it, I will take a picture.

I have a chicken that on rare occassion eats eggs and it looks nothing like this. I'm not sure many other birds would walk into this area, but it's possible. It's basically a stall, at far end of a long shed/run-in. The bird would basically have to walk into a room, down a long tunnel like area, beyond the entrance to my hay barn, and find the nest where it is hidden behind the lawn mowers, in the corner, under some rebar.

Thanks for the ideas though!