PDA

View Full Version : Misting systems and high humidity

suzyq
Jul. 13, 2010, 10:56 AM
Do those misting systems work for high humidity areas? I have a horsey who's feeling the heat and trying to come up with ways to cool him. He's not used to being in a stall, so when I put him up during the day with a fan on, he paces which is counterproductive! I was thinking of setting up a misting area but our humidity low is usually around 70% during the heat of the day so I'm not sure it would work.

SGray
Jul. 13, 2010, 11:25 AM
I tried misters with no success (southeast TX)

what makes a huge difference for my guys is a low-flowing soaker hose on the roof over the stalls -- water runs down the steel roof and most of it evaporates -- stalls underneath cooler by 20 degrees than outside air

buck22
Jul. 13, 2010, 08:21 PM
I recently used a mister for my horses in their run-in shed during the last heat wave. I have no electricity, only a hydrant, so I can't use a fan. I ran the mister for 3 days, the first two we were over 100 but the humidity was low, the mister worked fantabulous. It felt like air conditioning in the shed. The third day, the heat was lower, around 95, but the humidity was up and the cooling effect wasn't nearly as significant. I stopped using it as the humidity climbed back up.

Today it was only in the mid 80s but the humidity was so significant, the air felt wet, I couldn't imagine a mist making me feel any more comfortable.

I purchased a cheap misting system, and it worked well for cooling, but the mist isn't fine enough to not soak the ground sadly. I had some nasty puddles to clean up, but a small price to pay for the comfort during the extreme weather.

SuperSTB
Jul. 13, 2010, 08:35 PM
I'm in a low humidity area so probably not much of a help but the lower the humidity for us- the more awesome the misting system is. But also make sure your horse actually doesn't mind the mist system. All but one of my horses is fine with it. The mare who doesn't like it- acts as though it's spraying acid :rolleyes:

As we approach triple digits- the misting system will be on and the fans will be running...

lorilu
Jul. 13, 2010, 11:01 PM
Misting systems work because the water molecules take heat from the air when they change phase from liquid to gas - when they evaporate..
But, that means the air need to have "space" to hold the water.
As the relative humidity (how much water the air is holding, compared to what it could hold at that temperature) gets closer to 100%, the ability of the air to hold more water is reduced - as is the effectiveness of misting systems.

I don't know how well they would work at 70%. Our afternoon RH hovers around 65% this time of year, but in the morning it's up around 90%. Even with the seemingly low value in the afternoon, the high temperature brings the "feels like" temps to 100 degrees often.... yuck.

That's why "swamp coolers" work in the desert SW but not in Fla.

L

suzyq
Jul. 13, 2010, 11:56 PM
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of, thanks everyone.