PDA

View Full Version : Financing a trailer purchase: updated!

Calvincrowe
Jul. 12, 2010, 08:58 PM
Went to my trusty Credit Union and got a sweet loan, using my truck as collateral (all paid off!) and will be able to pick up my new-to-me Hawk Elite on Thursday. I'm driving 3 hours to Redmond, OR--gorgeous trip, to KMR to get it. I may be forced to load up my truck with some lovely hay while I'm down that way! Kill two birds with one stone, why waste a trip to Hay Central! I'm so excited!

I am in the process of (hopefully!) buying a used Hawk 2H. I am trading in my older (14 year old) steel slant load, in fair to good condition. The Hawk is fairly priced for age, condition and distance from the factory;) (opposite corner of the country!).

I need to finance the difference betwixt the two rigs. I got a loan offer of 12.8% for 84 months!!!:eek: I don't think I need to pay quite that much in interest on a relatively small amount of borrowed money (under 10k). I did redo my loan app with my husband as co-signer, so I'm hoping the rate is lower, as I just did me alone at first.

Should I also try my credit union for a loan? What are horse trailers--RVs or "other collateral"? What is the "going rate" for trailer loans? I do have a line of credit with my CU at 9%, so that is my fall back, if I can't get the rate down a bit.

tle
Jul. 13, 2010, 09:50 AM
I could be wrong, but you're probably looking at that high of an interest rate because the bank is looking at a USED trailer... therefore putting you in a "personal loan" category - which is typically higher %. Are you able to afford payments on a shorter term? YOu could use that to try and negotiate down the % as well.... tell them you'll do 60 months instead of 84 and see if they'll drop the %. Or just do the contract on the 84 but make extra principle payments.

Either way, good luck! And YES definitely shop around! Lending is tight right now as far as qualifications, but there IS $$ out there to lend and interest rates are pretty decent.

Calvincrowe
Jul. 13, 2010, 09:56 AM
Thanks, Tle. I am shopping my loan. I have excellent credit, as does Mr. CC, so that might help a bit. Trailers are in that "no man's land" of collateral items in the loan world. This Hawk is just too nice to pass up. I was super lucky---mine was the first phone call, and the dealer has had many on it. I had to jump on it, and am now playing catch-up with the loan.

If I get 84 months, I will absolutely be making higher payments just to get it paid off quickly.

SunkenMeadow
Jul. 13, 2010, 10:00 AM
My trailer is financed through Wesbanco, they have a secured loan product that they use for horse trailers. I dont remember how I found them or what not, but my rate is 6.97% and it was a 10 year term. I did it all through the mail and it was very uneventful...

Leather
Jul. 13, 2010, 10:23 AM
Definitely check out your credit union. Mine puts them in recreational vehicle category, so you get a better rate than you would for an unsecured personal loan.

Haf N Haf
Jul. 13, 2010, 12:48 PM
That interest rate is a little higher than I've seen in the past, but most trailer loans are 10 to 12 years. You could look into a personal loan through a bank and do a shorter term loan. Find a loan you can live with and pay extra to save yourself some interest!

IFG
Jul. 13, 2010, 12:57 PM
I used my home equity line which has a really low rate. If that is an option, you may want to consider it.