PDA

View Full Version : Thumbs up - Rabon blocks

Woodland
Jul. 12, 2010, 04:07 PM
After my Fly Predators must have drown in all the spring/early summer rains I went back to the old stand by Rabon Blocks in the pastures. The knock down was nearly immediate. I am passing on the Fly Predators and embracing the Rabon!

I used Rabon without any negative side effects for over 20 years - I just thought Fly Predators would be a nice change.

2DogsFarm
Jul. 12, 2010, 04:28 PM
I Googled Rabon and found the site for Sweetlix blocks.
Is this the brand you are ujsing?

The only caveat I see is it contains molasses and could be too much sweet stuff for a horse who would munch it like an All Day Sucker.

As I have a pony now I'd hesitate to set one out where he could lick himself into foundering.

deltawave
Jul. 12, 2010, 06:47 PM
No organophosphates for me and mine, thanks. No way, no how. :eek: (at least insofar as I can control it)

Just be sure you don't use manure from rabon-fed animals for your garden. :)

Woodland
Jul. 13, 2010, 01:54 AM
I do not know the brand off hand. http://www.bigr.com/ Horses only lick them for so long and move on. i have never once in 20+ years of using them had a horse just continually eat them. They seem to self regulate very easily. I have one in with a pony & mini. Rabon got some bad press a few years ago - however too me the benefits far out weigh any detraction - just saying.

kookicat
Jul. 13, 2010, 07:19 AM
What are they? How do they work?

IronwoodFarm
Jul. 13, 2010, 07:43 AM
I like Rabon blocks, but my Norwegian Fjords like them even more. They literally devoured them in a day. :eek: So I moved onto predator flies, which work very well and are far less expensive than providing 20 horses with Rabon blocks.