PDA

View Full Version : Rotary cutter question.

fivehorses
Jul. 12, 2010, 03:24 PM
I have a 3320 JD tractor. I am looking to purchase a rotary cutter for it.
The JD frontier is an MX5 and is about $2,500. I have been looking at the Woods Brush Bull600X which is 1,900, and the landpride, which I use to have before I sold it.

My question is: Is the JD MX5 really that worth the extra money?
Any input appreciated.

This will be used to mow rocky(I keep the bucket down to avoid them), but not really any saplings, pasture and fields a couple times a year. I have been using my riding lawnmower, but decided I am going to kill it if I keep doing that.
So, its time for a heavier duty rotary cutter, and also larger mowing deck to save time.

What do you think, and any experiences or consideration with any mowers is appreciated.

Tom King
Jul. 12, 2010, 03:41 PM
Any of those three brands will do the job just fine and one will be no less or more trouble to keep going than the other. The only advantage I see with the Frontier is that if you cut weeds with seedheads on them, they will slide off the domed deck more easily than they will on a flat topped deck. That means more weed seeds will stay where they came from than get spread around to other places.

fordtraktor
Jul. 12, 2010, 03:57 PM
Fivehorses, I have your exact tractor (the JD 3320) and a frontier rotary cutter without the dome. It is sturdy. My pastures have some rock, and several times when we got here I "mowed" some fence wire. It takes it all in stride. I think mine was less than you are looking at.

BUT -- if you have a little extra money to spend, I also have a 72 inch underbelly mower. I LOVE it because it cuts 6' at one time -- wider than the rotary cutter. If you have been using a riding mower to do your fields, this thing would do it too. I mow my paddock with no problems.

I use it to cut all my grass except a little trim I do with a push mower. Best purchase ever and so much faster than a riding mower.

fordtraktor
Jul. 12, 2010, 04:02 PM
I looked it up -- my rotary cutter is an RC20 series.

fivehorses
Jul. 12, 2010, 08:57 PM
I am in New England, so the MX5 was what was recommended over the RC20 which is a lighter use mower. I did use the landpride and no problems. This is not a golf course! LOL, I just want a rotary mower that can handle me hitting a few rocks that grew over the winter!.

ford tractor, in regards to the rc20,I do have a 3pt hitch on the back, but don't know how I'd hook up an underbelly...did you need something special for that?

Tom King, the specs for the woods state its a 30 hp, although the salesman said it would work on mine. Plus, JD has a great site for comparison too of all the machines and includes that. The 3320 is a 32HP, with a 28PTO or something like that.

The JD frontierMX5 is a ASAE Category 3 and all the others are ASAE category 4...not exactly sure what that means.?
I have a landscape rake, auger and want the rotary motor. The frontier does have a quick hitch for the mower, but it won't fit my landscape rake(landpride) or JD auger, so not sure I would go with the quick hitch system. I keep the landscape rake on for weight, as well as its useful in winter when I plow too. The mower and auger are used as needed, but to be honest, I'd probably put the mower on in june and keep it on till fall, since I'd be using it every few weeks.

Since this is such a small item, I am not getting much customer service...even though I have a JD gator, riding mower, etc...the local guys see I am at the end of my purchasing life, and seem to not be too interested in this minor sale...so any input is helpful.

thanks!

fordtraktor
Jul. 12, 2010, 09:24 PM
The RC20 is a back rotary cutter, the underbelly mower is different and is lighter use (and if you can't do an RC20, it definitely would be too light use). I have a mid-PTO, don't know if that was something special or not as I ordered the tractor and mower together.

Hmm, wondering if you really NEED the bigger rotary cutter or if they are just trying to get an extra $600 or $800 out of you. The RC20 should be perfectly fine for mowing a few times a year, including mowing a few rocks here and there. Mine is, and I am hard on equipment. :) These are not complicated machines.

Here is a link to the rotary cutter I am referring to, to be perfectly clear: http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/GC/servlet/Attachment?attNmbr=RC20_XF&prodNmbr=680DLV&tM=GC

Here is the underbelly mower, which is different and probably not what you need if it is really rocky: http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/GC/servlet/Attachment?attNmbr=7010LV&prodNmbr=680DLV&tM=GC

Hilary
Jul. 14, 2010, 02:29 PM
I bought a no-name brushhog for about $900 delivered. It has a shear pin that breaks when it hit something REALLY big, and thus saving all the important parts. It cuts small trees, doesn't seem fazed by all the rocks I have. It's 5 years old now. I'm sure the JD is higher quality in some areas but a brushog doesn't have a ton of parts and and extra $1400 seems like a lot for a brand name and green paint.

HunttoLive
Jul. 14, 2010, 02:39 PM
I have a Woods brushhog and a woods finishing mower. They are some real rugged pieces of equipment. The finishing mower is 13 years old and the brushhog is 7 years old. I've been thinking about getting a bigger brushhog and if I do it will be a Woods.

fivehorses
Jul. 14, 2010, 07:01 PM
Hilary, you probably have a landpride...that is what I had. Bought it at knoxland. It seemed fine, I agree, and so I am still researching and trying to make a decision. the landprides are now more than 900. My landpride worked for over 19 years and I am sorry I sold it!!!

Good to hear about the woods hunttolive. thanks all.

Hilary
Jul. 15, 2010, 12:46 PM
Actually, while I love Knoxland my brushhog came from "NH Tractor" (I think that's what it was called) up in Tilton which is now out of business when the old man died. A chance it might be Sitrex which is central europe- they sold Zetor tractors which were Czech. It's got a red base and black bracing.

Landpride is a really good brand - and more than $900.

You might try Tractor Supply if you want to look for the cheaper end of things.

shakeytails
Jul. 15, 2010, 01:20 PM
We've got a no-name cheapie 6' bush hog. I think we paid $800 for it about 6-7 years ago. We paid the extra $100 for the slip clutch rather than having to deal with shear pins. Haven't had any problems with it, but we don't have rocky ground. If I had really rough ground, I'd probably go with a Woods.

What I REALLY want is a bat-wing mower and a tractor big enough to pull it. I'm only good for a couple/few hours mowing- with a monster bush hog I could probably actually get it in that amount of time!

1ofEach
Jul. 15, 2010, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't get a brushhog from tractor supply unless you want to repair it A LOT! It will not hold up to hitting rocks even if it is only occasionally. You really can't go wrong with a Woods.

Tom King
Jul. 15, 2010, 04:05 PM
I don't know if the 5 or 6 footers are available with two tailwheels. The first one we had was a six footer with a single tailwheel. One of the first things I bought after we got a larger tractor was a 7' bushog so it would be a little wider than the back tires on the tractor. I bought a "medium duty" one with two tailwheels, since I thought it might help with the biggest problem I see with them -scalping the ground on uneven spots. The two tailwheels almost eliminate it entirely.

AnotherRound
Jul. 15, 2010, 04:23 PM
*sigh*

I want a tractor and accessories. When we get catalogues, I spend time choosing the augur and brush hog of my dreams. Lucky dogs.