PDA

View Full Version : Brass Plates: I don't think mine are solid brass. :-(

Oldenburg Mom
Jul. 11, 2010, 07:56 PM
Not mentioning where I bought them (ahem!) but doesn't solid brass get a wonderful kind of patina?

Not these kind of rusty "spots" ... brass doesn't rust. Hey, the screws are solid brass and they didn't get spots on them like the plate. I'm so .... p1ssed! Grrrrrr.

How have your brass plates weathered?

I'm really sick of getting gypped all the time. When I bought them I was assured they were solid brass.

HA!

ReSomething
Jul. 11, 2010, 10:34 PM
Some real brass is varnished. When the varnish wears it comes off in patches. If you have green spots then it is probably real brass or thick enough plate. If you have orange or rust, wellll, yes, you got ripped off.

Frank B
Jul. 11, 2010, 10:46 PM
Check them with a magnet. Unless the underlying metal is aluminum, they'll be attracted by the magnet.

Also, engraving or heavy stamping will cut through any plating that's on steel, resulting in immediate rusting unless the plate is electroplated after engraving.

moodymaretoo
Jul. 11, 2010, 10:56 PM
Same thing happened to my "brass" stall plates. Its like they are spotty and rusted but not rusted... it is a strange blotchy pattern of no longer nice and pretty brass that even a polishing cloth will not fix... I was pissed too.
I got custom wood stall signs now.. if I went back to the engraved, I'd get the plastic. At least you can wash those off.

sk_pacer
Jul. 12, 2010, 01:08 AM
While these are memorial plates, not stall plates and in a dry building, they all get funky spots. It appears that everyone is horrified at touching them, so I am stuck. Got me a can of Brasso, and shine the plates up twice a year. The creeping crud on them spreads from the engraving and the screws if that helps any. I don't mind the engraving being dark and cruddy because it shows up better that way but the plates get insightly in 6 months and downright nasty in a year. I know 2 are solid brass, the rest are anyone's guess. but I suspect they are not, just heavily plated - they have a different feel.

If you want patina, you want bronze, not brass.

baysngreys
Jul. 12, 2010, 03:05 PM
Try polishing them with some clear car polish.
I was told that unless you seal the plate when you get it (as none of the engraving places seem to be able to do!) the rusty spots are inevitable.